Thought on expanding IF for my own games

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
cbarchuk

Re: Thought on expanding IF for my own games

Post by cbarchuk »

Looks awfully close to the Cleric progression. Seems like a lotta work to figure these progressions out. I think I'll simply go with one of my original ideas or heck, just use the original source progression charts...lol.

But honestly my 'tweaked' Assassin class doesn't step on the toes of the thief or overshadow him in anyway except in combat so just letting the Assassin use the thief progression makes sense just like the Paladin using the Fighter progression. Allowing the Druid to use the Cleric progression I think works as well since they're both quite different from each other. Now allowing the Ranger to use the Fighter progression doesn't initially seem balanced. But for my own game I would only allow Fighters to benefit from percentile strength. That would still make the Fighter worth playing over the Ranger assuming you roll well enough.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I'm probably wrong, but I think the Paladin does not have an increase in XP, I would use that route, each sub-class uses the same XP progression and give "balance" thru special abilities and restrictions.

If you want to change the XP: Take the base XP of the core class and increase it or decrease it based on the sub-class by a set amount or percentage, but there is no hard and fast maths here...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Dimirag wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:17 pm I'm probably wrong, but I think the Paladin does not have an increase in XP, I would use that route, each sub-class uses the same XP progression and give "balance" thru special abilities and restrictions.

If you want to change the XP: Take the base XP of the core class and increase it or decrease it based on the sub-class by a set amount or percentage, but there is no hard and fast maths here...
Agreed. I realized as I was trying to figure the Assassin progression out that it seemed pretty arbitrary. Anyways I think I will simply go with having the sub class following the same progression as the main. The only one that I think is iffy is the Ranger.
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Okay here's one last attempt for the Assassin. One thing I realized from the IF rules that all 4 classes by level 7 end with three zeroes in the progression number. A simple pattern that helped my rounding off the numbers a bit.

Assassin Level
1 0
2 1,650
3 3,300
4 6,600
5 13,200
6 26,400
7 58,000
8 116,000
9 190,000
10 380,000
11 600,000
12 820,000
13 1,040,000
14 1,260,000
15 1,480,000
16 1,700,000
17 1,920,000
18 2,140,000
19 2,360,000
20 2,581,200

What do you know it looks very similar to the Cleric progression...lol.
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

I have uploaded my Assassin to the workshop for anyone that's interested. Dimirag I agree with you about the XP progression.

Thief = Fastest
Cleric = Fast
Fighter = Slow
Magic User = Slowest

Thief = Assassin
Cleric = Druid
Fighter = Ranger, Paladin
Magic User

Either keep the sub class the same as the 'main' class or bump it down a tier. Every version of the Assassin XP table I came up with was basically the same as the Cleric. So you could do this instead if you prefer:

Thief
Cleric = Druid / Assassin
Fighter = Paladin
Magic User = Ranger (Makes sense anyways since Rangers can cast spells)

The original Assassin required more XP to level than the thief. But my Assassin loses many of the thief skills in order to be more focused. This in turn removes most of the redundancy between the two classes. So really keeping the Assassin at the thief progression I think works fine in this case.

Anyways thanks for the discussion. Looking forward to adding the other sub classes next as they will be pretty much rules as written.