Errata (r52)

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Rhialto

Errata (r52)

Post by Rhialto »

Just a few minor things I noticed, to help with the next release.
Will post more if I find any.

p. 11 - the sample character has no hitpoints

p. 39 - shield spell has no duration

p. 48 - doppelganger lists damage as d12 + special but has no special attack listed in the description

p. 50 - of all the dragons, only black dragon have listed their breath weapon under attack and damage

p. 103 - vorpal sword text
... if the number needed to hit is exceeded by 2 points, or is a natural 18 to 20, the sword has cut off the head of the foe.
should probably be
... if the number needed to hit is exceeded by 2 points, or the die roll is a natural 18 to 20, the sword has cut off the head of the foe.
as for the sword of sharpness

p. 131 - the healing ability for intelligent swords is listed as
1 point/6 turns or 6 points/day
in the table and as
7 points per day at a rate of 1 point per combat round
in the main text
Rhialto

Re: Errata (r52)

Post by Rhialto »

p. 47 - crocodile is listed as having AC 15, which seems a bit wimpy.
TomT11

M-U spells missing from 6th level list

Post by TomT11 »

On the 6th level Magic-User spell list, four spells are missing (they are included in the spell descriptions, just not on the master list on page 21). Any chance of getting a revised PDF with the list updated?

Missing 6th level spells:

Stone to Flesh
Reincarnation
Projected Image
Repulsion
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: M-U spells missing from 6th level list

Post by Solomoriah »

Well, you've found an error. Congrats!

I'll get a new release together sometime... there's not that much that needs to be updated, so I haven't been rushing it at all.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
NewbieSalmon

Post by NewbieSalmon »

Instead of creating another thread, I'll just ask my questions here. I don't mean to derail.

- On page 2(6), depending on the INT score, you have a minimum and maximum amount of spells that you can memorize per spell level (Just a side note, but I think it would cause less confusion if the sentence is: "Again, per spell level"). Given that, is an M-U forced to memorize a number of spells to satisfy the MIN value? Doesn't sound right to me. I suppose you can fill it with Magic Missile and what not, practically mitigating the MIN value positively, which is its purpose, but I would like to know the design decision behind this.

- Throughout the book, the "Level" of a magic caster is designated as "Level of ability". Am I missing something? I can't wrap my head around why it can't just say "Level", cause "Spell Level" and plain "Level" is clearly segregated into different terms.
"You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of
experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before
emptying the bag of luck." - Anonymous/Panzer GMT Edition
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

NewbieSalmon wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:28 am Instead of creating another thread, I'll just ask my questions here. I don't mean to derail.

- On page 2(6), depending on the INT score, you have a minimum and maximum amount of spells that you can memorize per spell level (Just a side note, but I think it would cause less confusion if the sentence is: "Again, per spell level"). Given that, is an M-U forced to memorize a number of spells to satisfy the MIN value? Doesn't sound right to me. I suppose you can fill it with Magic Missile and what not, practically mitigating the MIN value positively, which is its purpose, but I would like to know the design decision behind this.
Learn, not memorize. Go back to the back of the book and read Acquisition of Spells starting on page 133.
NewbieSalmon wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:28 am - Throughout the book, the "Level" of a magic caster is designated as "Level of ability". Am I missing something? I can't wrap my head around why it can't just say "Level", cause "Spell Level" and plain "Level" is clearly segregated into different terms.
It's a traditional form of expression. Understand, Iron Falcon is far more "traditional" than Basic Fantasy.
NewbieSalmon

Post by NewbieSalmon »

Learn, not memorize. Go back to the back of the book and read Acquisition of Spells starting on page 133.
I see. I've got it all mixed up. Nonetheless, doesn't it still mean that the minimum number forces the user to attempt learning/knowing that amount of spell levels? Practically though, this never happens, as you'd want to have as much as you can.
"You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of
experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before
emptying the bag of luck." - Anonymous/Panzer GMT Edition
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

No "forcing" to it.

If you're using the extended spell lists interpretation, then each time a magic-user gains access to a new level of spells, the player rolls for each and every spell in the list, as explained in the section I pointed you to. If you're using limited spell lists, they roll when they find or buy access to a new spell, and only after trying all spells (or meeting the maximum) do you allow rerolling (if the minimum isn't met).
starmonkey

Post by starmonkey »

Reading through IF at the moment. It's enjoyably concise!

P2) "Intelligence is the prime requisite of magic-users. It includes general knowledge, memory, learning, and creating ability."

Should that be "creative ability" instead?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Probably. Good catch!