The future of Iron Falcon?

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: The future of Iron Falcon?

Post by Solomoriah »

I JUST activated it. :D

Free shipping??? GAH. I just placed an order with Lulu and did not know about that.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
mindtech

Post by mindtech »

The first rule of Lulu buying is to always wait for a free shipping coupon ;)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I did... I just never got it. :(
mindtech

Post by mindtech »

Talk about fast.... Lulu has printed my books and i'll be getting delivery tomorrow of the R52 Rulebook and the Adventures book.
Korro Zal

Post by Korro Zal »

I wouldn't mind more adventures, certainly. I'd also like to see some content taken from the early Dragon magazines, such as the original Bard and Ranger classes; you could put them in an "Iron Falcon Companion." Granted, you can already use such content as-is, but it would be nice to have them printed in a text I can put on my shelf.
JenniferRPG

Post by JenniferRPG »

I have been reading Iron Falcon, and really enjoy it. I also have a copy of the original White Box rules and supplements. It's nice to have a book that puts these together in an enjoyable and aesthetically pleasant manner. I also have Swords & Wizardry, and I find Iron Falcon more accurate in certain ways. E.g. there is no ventriloquism spell in Sword & Wizardry Complete edition, although I find that spell in the Greyhawk supplement booklet. I wonder why Swords & Wizardry left that out.

The tables are much more pleasant to view than the generic tables in Swords & Wizardry. Chris's tables look more like what would be in an older retro book. I also like the more two dimensional artwork in Chris's book. I don't see existence of Swords & Wizardry as being a reason not to continue developing this book.

Would be nice if Iron Falcon could work in the monk, assassin & druid as well.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks for the kind words, Jennifer. I'm glad you're enjoying the game!
JenniferRPG

Post by JenniferRPG »

Also, I like that you use the traditional save system vs. a streamlined single saving throw of Swords & Wizardry.

Very happy you preserved the descending armor class as well. You didn't even give the option for ascending armor (unlike S&W) which is surprising since you chose ascending AC for Basic Fantasy -- I like this because it's less confusing and it feels more old school (which is what I like).

Also, if you ever add the monk, assassin & druid, you can potentially "one up" other retroclones by adding in functional (optional) psionics? (Or maybe even an optional psionicist class -- see Dragon Magazine #78) :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If it wasn't in the original three books or the first supplement, I won't be adding it. The core game is complete and finished as is, unless I discover some place where I am deviating from the classic mechanics too much.

Basic Fantasy RPG is the game as I prefer to play it; as much as possible, Iron Falcon is the first recognizable version of the classic game, at as high a level of fidelity as I can manage. With that goal in mind, you can see that I will not be adding anything to the Iron Falcon core, ever.

You are, of course, welcome to use the classic materials (the other original supplements, or the articles from the magazines of the era) to add those features to your own game; they should plug in to Iron Falcon just as easily as to the original game.
JenniferRPG

Post by JenniferRPG »

Yeah you have a point there, about just supplementing it. It's a very solid core and it's making the learning of the original rules much easier.

Thank you.