The future of Iron Falcon?

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: The future of Iron Falcon?

Post by Solomoriah »

If you are interested in the game as it was with just the three little books, I suggest you look into Delving Deeper. Simon Bull, author of that game, helped me to understand quite a lot about the differences between the game with and without that first supplement (and with and without the miniatures rules that preceded it).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
JenniferRPG

Post by JenniferRPG »

Oh this is handy. So that author goes over the necessary Chainmail rules as well. I read that the first supplement (Greyhawk) introduced an alternate combat system to replace Chainmail's along with other Chainmail & Outdoor Survival board game references.

I just bought your Iron Falcon book in hardcover. Love the cover and clean layout. I don't mind the minimal art. At least the art you chose is consistent with the theme.

I am glad I just bought that book, because I think it's the best OD&D core book available, both aesthetically and in accuracy. i.e. complete list of spells & traditional save tables etc.

Look forward to reading your book to understand how the game was played in 1975 before Blackmoor & Eldritch Wizardry supplements.

I'll work on supplementing iron falcon with my own document incoroporating Blackmoor and Eldritch (or the best of), including function psionics -- perhaps a psionicist class even (See Dragon Magazine #78).
JenniferRPG

Post by JenniferRPG »

Have you read "White Box Heroes"? It's 40 pages and an expansion one can purchase (PDF or book on lulu.com). It adds several classes to the 3 booklet white box set or Swords & Wizardry.

Wondering if this would be a good addition to Iron Falcon.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

It would help to understand that the early days of the first RPG were very much a "wild west" situation. How the game was played is a complicated question with a lot of answers. Iron Falcon aims to capture the game as its creator might have liked us to think he played it... but I feel certain that he himself varied from the published rules pretty regularly, as most of us did in the old days.
JenniferRPG

Post by JenniferRPG »

My first exposure to D&D was in 1983 with the Mentzer red box. You as well (or perhaps Moldvay) and well you are the author of the best system that clones BECMI. So I really appreciate your interpretation of the first four booklets of OD&D.

I am going to read your Iron Falcon book to learn OD&D and then compare with all four booklets; so I can try and see how you interpreted everything he wrote. I tried reading the booklets as is, before IF, and it's a big organizational mess, (with things left out I'm sure). e.g. the monster data is organized in a very interesting fashion, lol. I actually had to pencil in page number cross-references in the tables on the first 2 pages. Been comparing a few monsters, and so far from what I've seen IF is right on. I'll let you know if I find any discrepencies.
chickeneater456

Post by chickeneater456 »

I've spent some time with Epées & Sorcellerie, a French OD&D retro-clone I got off Lulu. I really like that book, but the content is a bit limited, to say the least. So, I'm super excited to find this forum and Chris's IF page dedicated to 0e. But I'm a bit nervous...

All this talk about whether IF has a future and whether it will still be supported or not... I hope that the pandemic is just slowing things down a bit and that IF will both be around and be actively supported for a great many years to come. I really enjoy the raw simplicity of this playstyle/version and all the fast, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants decisions DMs/GMs get to make off the cuff.

Thanks, Mr. Chris, for all you do for 0e fans out there.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Iron Falcon isn't going away. In fact, I have some upcoming releases planned, but I don't have release dates as yet. Better to admit I don't know than to lie to you all...
Tazer_The_Yoot

Post by Tazer_The_Yoot »

That's fine, good sir. Take your time. I'm quite sure it'll be worth the wait.