Castle Saviare

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Castle Saviare

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm beginning a new dungeon for Iron Falcon called Castle Saviare. It will be a "small megadungeon," four levels with monsters ranging up to around 8 hit dice. I've attached the current text to this post. Anyone wishing to participate should download the current version, read it, and then pick some rooms to fill in. All discussion about this project goes in this thread.
Attachments
Castle-Saviare-r3.pdf
(633.33 KiB) Downloaded 645 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Castle Saviare

Post by Solomoriah »

The R1 version I just posted has only the first dungeon level, but I do have the other three in hand-drawn form. I'll try to get them done in MapMatic as soon as possible.
BrianEye

Post by BrianEye »

This looks hip, Chris. I really like the "Nevermore Campaign" title, and the sidebar about where it came from.

I'm looking forward to seeing it develop (as my copy of IF arrived this past Sunday).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks, Brian!

I just uploaded a PDF of R2, with the first and second level maps. Also, I've made those maps public on the MapMatic site: mapmatic.basicfantasy.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just uploaded R3, with complete maps for all four levels.

Next up... stocking the dungeon.

This time around, I'm going to roll some dice. This dungeon is big enough that patterns in the distribution will be noticeable, and rolling will obscure the patterns a bit.

I'm going with the 1 in 6 is monster, 1 in 6 is monster with treasure, 1 in 6 is unguarded treasure, i.e. Gygax's 0E distribution. I'm adding a 15% chance that an "empty" room has a trap; traps listed below are just those not associated with an unguarded treasure.

Level 1, Rooms 1 to 27
5 Monsters
4 Monsters with Treasure
3 Unguarded Treasure
2 Traps

Level 2, Rooms 28 to 56
7 Monsters
8 Monsters with Treasure
1 Unguarded Treasure
1 Traps

Level 3A, Rooms 57 to 67
1 Monsters
2 Monsters with Treasure
4 Unguarded Treasure
1 Traps

Level 3B, Rooms 68 to 83
2 Monsters
1 Monsters with Treasure
2 Unguarded Treasure
2 Traps

Level 4, Rooms 84 to 106
5 Monsters
5 Monsters with Treasure
2 Unguarded Treasure
1 Traps

I'll admit that I fudged the numbers above just a bit, but hopefully not enough to create a pattern.

Planned Encounters: As I mentioned before, there is a dragon on level 4. He'll fall in the "monsters with treasure" category. Level 3 has a vampiress; I'm not sure whether to put her in 3A or 3B, but I'm leaning toward 3B. Level 1 has a lair of kobolds, and they will be in the monsters-with-treasure category.

More later, after I think on this some.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

For anyone who is curious... I'm attaching a "full" map as a Gimp XCF file. Each level of the dungeon is a layer, and by playing with visibility and opacity settings you can see how each lays over and connects to the others.
Attachments
Full Map.xcf
(2.47 MiB) Downloaded 532 times
chickeneater456

Post by chickeneater456 »

This is great, Solo. Thanks.

I just came across these maps but have decided to incorporate this into my IF solo play I'm just starting. I'm using a solo help tool I came across over a blog and have chosen to pair your maps with GG's original article for solo dungeon adventure play from The Strategic Review, Vol 1, No 1.

I can use GG's article for room contents, random traps, treasure generation, etc. I'm unsure if it's appropriate to mention where I got his article from off the net, but some internet kung fu should bring up multiple options for those interested in locating the same. I found his article to be extremely useful for solo dungeon adventures. Who knew GG had solo play incorporated into his version of the game back in the spring of '75?

Many thanks.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Feel free to share sources for any materials that would be useful with our games.
chickeneater456

Post by chickeneater456 »

With permission given and stating I'm not affiliated with any of these links and make nothing from either/any of them, I would like to share some content/items that I hope might be useful for all (especially those who may enjoy playing IF or BF solo along with these great maps provided by Solo, above.

First, I alluded to an article written by GG himself back in the Spring of '75 that guided folks through solo dungeon creation and an envelope exchange system for creating new/unusual dungeon rooms. I came across this link in a blog post here: https://solodungeoncrawler.blogspot.com ... olo-1.html

I think very highly of this English gentleman. I thoroughly enjoy reading his blog on how to play D&D solo. He also has a YouTube channel that reiterates his blog here: https://www.youtube.com/@SoloDungeonCrawler

GG's maiden issue of The Strategic Review that showcases this solo dungeon generation system can be found here: https://annarchive.com/files/Strv101.pdf

If you look at the comments/explanation of this YouTube video by Solo Dungeon Crawler, you can see everything he pulls together for his own solo gaming experience (including several very useful PDFs he has made to support his solo play). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Fe7wtiJKk

I also think these excellent and generous PDFs can be located at the bottom of this blog in the resources section: https://solodungeoncrawler.blogspot.com ... -part.html

I think very highly of this English gentleman, find him to be very open to comments and suggestions, and he's eager to develop his content for solo play and all things old-school to the best of his ability. If you decide to follow him on his blog or YouTube channel, I hope you find his content to be as useful as I have.

Cheers!