The Dragon of Duncaster

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
User avatar
Solomoriah
Site Admin
Posts: 6995
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: LaBelle, Missouri
Contact:

Re: The Dragon of Duncaster

Post Tue May 12, 2015 8:18 am

Convention Pregen Characters

I need to create some pregens for the convention in July. I'm thinking of providing 12 characters to choose from, 3 of each class; here's what I'm considering:

Human Fighter
Dwarf Fighter
Elf Fighter

Human Magic-User
Half-Elf Magic-User
Elf Magic-User

Human Cleric
Half-Elf Cleric
Dwarf Cleric

Human Thief
Halfling Thief
Dwarf Thief

Note that the demi-human characters above who have the necessary statistics may be multi-classed. I'll build all 12 of them with 10,000 XP, so single-classed characters will all be 4th level.

What I need now are names. Any suggestions?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
the venomous pao
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: The Dragon of Duncaster

Post Tue May 12, 2015 10:18 pm

Some name suggestions...

Human Fighter - Quenill Brix
Dwarf Fighter - Arnsten Gunnbjorn
Elf Fighter - Aeron Leafsong

Human Magic-User - Nigellus Brix
Half-Elf Magic-User - Khryseis Bourdekin
Elf Magic-User - Eirian Nightshade

Human Cleric - Austinius Pheliset
Half-Elf Cleric - Cyrian Tagg
Dwarf Cleric - Torold Odkellsson

Human Thief - Margyt Ryn
Halfling Thief - Yago Madlen
Dwarf Thief - Hrafnhild Vigdisdottir
User avatar
Longman
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:12 am

Re: The Dragon of Duncaster

Post Tue May 12, 2015 11:12 pm

7 - Skeleton Closet - monster with treasure

The anti-cleric Hathor has left 4 skeleton guards in a small room here, to indicate the presence of invaders. As soon as anyone stands in the square in front of the door, a pressure point will be activated and the skeletons will come tumbling out to attack anyone in that square. The DM should roll to see if the skeletons gain a surprise round on the party when this occurs. Only a successful Remove Traps roll will indicate the existence of the pressure point.

The skeletons are each equipped with a shield complete with Chaos insignia, raising their armor class to 6.

HP 4, 2, 3, 2

They also fight with swords for 1d8 damage. This equipment is in decent condition and the total value is 80gp. In addition, one of the skeletons also wears a circlet of silver, which is worth a further 60gp.


9 Collapsed Stair -

A staircase descending into a lower level has collapsed after the first 10' and the stair is entirely blocked with rubble.

Any dwarf character, or a character who investigates the collapse for one full turn, will notice that the entire ceiling area is unstable and water has found its way in from above. Therefore, even if the first few feet of rubble were to be shifted - an act that would take at least 1 hour - the stair would almost certainly collapse again almost at once.

12 Room with Pit

Player description - a perfectly ordinary looking room

The pit trap in this room was part of the original tower defenses, and has been maintained by the anti-cleric Hazor, for the purpose of trapping potential invaders. The gnolls know about it and do not venture past it. It is 10' deep and has metal spikes at the bottom, which add an additional d6 damage (for 2d6 in total). The trap also makes a loud noise when activated, which has a 50% chance of alerting either Sygoreth (25%) or Hazor (25%). Falling into the trap can be avoided completely with a successful save vs Death Ray, but the loud noise will still occur. It counts as a secret door for the purposes of detection. The rooms beyond (15, 16 and 17) are not visited by either gnolls or zombies and still have minor furnishings within them.

16 - Collapsed Stair - Unguarded Treasure

This stair is similar to area 9, but in this case, there is no continued danger of a collapse if rubble is removed, and the party will notice that there is no sign that water has penetrated from above. Buried in the rubble in this stairwell is the crushed skeleton of a human man who wears a badly tarnished silver ring on his finger. The ring still holds a fine star ruby worth 500gp.

That's my attempt at completing level one.

The version I'm using - 5 - has some rooms in bold, and also some rooms with 'x' after them. Does that indicate monsters or treasure?

I'll be back with some ideas for the torture chamber - a mimic?

Also - I think a small number of the zombies should be gnoll zombies and have higher hp - maybe 2hd instead of 1.
User avatar
Solomoriah
Site Admin
Posts: 6995
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: LaBelle, Missouri
Contact:

Re: The Dragon of Duncaster

Post Wed May 13, 2015 7:25 am

Bold rooms are the ones I've named; lowercase x's are just placeholders. No meaning per se, except that those rooms are "empty" with respect to monsters and treasure. They could be traps or specials though.

I'll see about getting your work integrated with my copy; I actually statted out the Skeleton Closet, but some of your version is better than mine so I'll likely merge them.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
User avatar
Solomoriah
Site Admin
Posts: 6995
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: LaBelle, Missouri
Contact:

Re: The Dragon of Duncaster

Post Wed May 13, 2015 4:21 pm

Okay, I'm working your stuff into the manuscript. I've combined it with Dungeon of Kyros, so when I upload it (maybe later tonight) it will all be together.

We still need to come up with some sort of description of rooms 6, 8, 14, 15, and 17 to round out the first level. Heck, I don't even have names for those rooms yet.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
User avatar
Solomoriah
Site Admin
Posts: 6995
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: LaBelle, Missouri
Contact:

Re: The Dragon of Duncaster

Post Wed May 13, 2015 4:22 pm

the venomous pao wrote:Some name suggestions...

Human Fighter - Quenill Brix
Dwarf Fighter - Arnsten Gunnbjorn
Elf Fighter - Aeron Leafsong

Human Magic-User - Nigellus Brix
Half-Elf Magic-User - Khryseis Bourdekin
Elf Magic-User - Eirian Nightshade

Human Cleric - Austinius Pheliset
Half-Elf Cleric - Cyrian Tagg
Dwarf Cleric - Torold Odkellsson

Human Thief - Margyt Ryn
Halfling Thief - Yago Madlen
Dwarf Thief - Hrafnhild Vigdisdottir
Pao, dude, did you sign up just to post those excellent names? Thanks!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
User avatar
Longman
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:12 am

Re: The Dragon of Duncaster

Post Wed May 13, 2015 9:29 pm

Solomoriah wrote:Okay, I'm working your stuff into the manuscript. I've combined it with Dungeon of Kyros, so when I upload it (maybe later tonight) it will all be together.

We still need to come up with some sort of description of rooms 6, 8, 14, 15, and 17 to round out the first level. Heck, I don't even have names for those rooms yet.
I'll wait to see what the whole thing looks like when you post and have a go at remaining 1st level rooms.
the venomous pao
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: The Dragon of Duncaster

Post Wed May 13, 2015 9:39 pm

Solomoriah wrote:Pao, dude, did you sign up just to post those excellent names? Thanks!
I did :) You're most welcome. I'm glad you dig 'em!
User avatar
Solomoriah
Site Admin
Posts: 6995
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: LaBelle, Missouri
Contact:

Re: The Dragon of Duncaster

Post Thu May 14, 2015 8:46 am

I've uploaded the new combined version. I do NOT like the name I've given it, and I'm open to suggestions for a better one.

You can find it here:
http://ironfalconrpg.com/downloads/Iron ... One-r1.pdf
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
User avatar
Longman
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:12 am

Re: The Dragon of Duncaster

Post Thu May 14, 2015 7:04 pm

Talon Tales, vol 1?
Talon and Feather?
Tales from the Grey Aerie?
Post Reply