The Dragon of Duncaster

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Longman

Re: The Dragon of Duncaster

Post by Longman »

Room 6: Store Room

The corridor outside has thick dust on the floor, and it does not appear that anyone uses it regularly. (The DM should remember that anyone going up the stairs from here will enter area 2 and encounter the gargoyles there).

A solid oak door with a metal grill still stands firm and locked. The door will require a thief to pick the lock, or a Strength Roll on a d8 to force it open. (Opening the door by force will trigger a wandering monster roll.) Anyone peering through the grill will see that there are a variety of racks and shelves on the walls, and a large oak table in the middle of the room. The racks contain 2 pikes, 1 longsword, a shield, 2 helmets, and a mace, all of which are in a very poor state of repair. There are also 2 lanterns, a 5' length of chain, and a broom, which are also badly degraded by age. A set of 5 keys is the only useful item in the room.

Key 1: room 8 (door broken).
Key 2: room 10
Key 3: rooms 13, 14, 15 and 17
Key 4: rooms 20 and 21
Key 5: room 19 (both doors)

Room 8: Old Vestry Room

This room is immediately downstairs from the gnoll guards at area 5. It is assumed that the party will already have encountered the gnolls upstairs. (If this is not the case, the party must be extremely quiet in this area otherwise the gnolls will become aware of them.)

The door to this room has been smashed down by the gnols, who found little of value inside. The mouldering remains of numerous sets of robes, as well as other clothing and blankets, lie hastily scattered on the floor. There are also chips of wood on the floor, the remains of the vestry wardrobes, which the gnolls have used for firewood. Exploring this room should take no longer than a turn, but that should be enough time for elvish characters to have a fair chance (1-2) of noticing the secret passageway at the southern end. Otherwise, a deliberate search of the room will be required to notice the secret door.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I used your room 6 much as you described it. Room 8 is a bit far from the temple to be a vestry; room 21 works better for that. So I've split up your description between those two rooms, and defined room 8 as another storeroom (with no contents as yet). I'm not going to post it just yet... I need to get Hazor and his zombies done first.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just uploaded a new version:

http://ironfalconrpg.com/downloads/Iron ... One-r2.pdf

It contains the changes I mentioned above, plus more detail and polishing in several areas. The temple and the secret room next to it are done (which means Hazor is done as well).

Still need a monster for the torture room. I'd like something unexpected here. Someone mentioned a mimic, but we don't have those in the core rules... I hate to be adding new monsters already.
Longman

Post by Longman »

That was me. I'll find a monster that actually is in the core rules...

I'll also check out the latest and post some more tonight...
Longman

Post by Longman »

1. A necromancer is in league with the dragon. Misleading; this is actually a reference to the antipriest Hazor.
2. An evil wizard lairs in the dungeon. Misleading; this is a reference to Sygoreth, in human form due to his wand of polymorph.
3. Calling the dragon by its true name will give you power over it. False.
4. The dragon's name is Sygoreth. True.
5. Humanoids with the the heads of dogs have been seen at night on an old road leading up to the bluff near the dragons lair. True; a reference to the gnolls.
6. In times gone by, the castle on the bluff housed a temple to the underworld. True.
7. Evil magic-users once lived in the fortress on the bluff, and one of them still lives on as a ghost. Mostly false.
8. In a cave beneath the fortress lies an ancient temple to the God of the Sea. False.
9. In ancient times, both priests and magic users lived in the fortress, working side by side. True.
10. When the fortress was abandoned, much of the underground was beginning to collapse, and people were crushed to death inside. True.
11. The dragon's true name is (1d4): 1) Sygoren; 2) Slygoresh; 3) Sygorax; 4) Vanamien. All false.
12. The complex has two levels. True.

a few posts above were suggestions for the name of the volume, as well.
Longman

Post by Longman »

see post above for a d12 rumor table...

Room 19. Torture Chamber

Both doors to this room are soundly locked and it will require the key (room 6), a successful Open Locks roll by a thief, an Open Doors roll on a d8 to open either one.

Inside is the remains of a torture chamber. A stretching rack stands at the centre of the room with a skeleton still tied to it. In the south area is a spiked torture chair, and on the north walls stands an iron maiden. The east wall has several rusted sets of manacles set into the walls. On a bench in the north east corner are a variety of hand held implements such as thumbscrews and a poker. There is also an old brazier nearby.

Upon seeing this, players may expect an undead encounter, but in fact the room is home to an Invisible Stalker that was summoned by an ancient wizard and has never been released. Its former job was to assist in the torture of the wizard's enemies. Now, it simply wants to harm anyone who enters the room.

Invisible Stalker: AC 3, HD 8, #At 1 Dam 4d4, Mv 12” Fly 24”, Al C
HP 40

All attacks made on the creature will be at a penalty of -4, unless the attacker has some way of seeing invisible things. There does not appear to be any treasure in the room, and the party's best option may be an instant retreat. (The Invisible Stalker cannot leave the confines of the room.)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I've posted an updated version here:
http://ironfalconrpg.com/downloads/Iron ... One-r3.pdf

I'm loving the stuff you're doing here, Longman. The choice of an Invisible Stalker as a dungeon encounter is inspired... I'm looking forward to running this one.

I think we've fleshed out (well, so to speak) the monsters pretty well now. The rest is just atmospheric stuff, fluff and timewasters basically. I'll try to wrap this up in the next few days.

I haven't decided if I want to go back through and put in boxed text. Opinions?
Longman

Post by Longman »

Thanks, Solo. I'm really enjoying doing it.

There is boxed text in the first adventure, so boxed text in the second would be a good look.

Just to clarify what's going on - are you wrapping up the final details of the module in the next few days? (Finishing the empty rooms etc), or are you still waiting on more input?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If you have input, feel free to throw it out there... but don't feel like you have to. I appreciate all you've done already.

Whether I'll finish it off on my own or not, and on what timetable, I can't say. Inspiration is a funny thing.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »