The Dragon of Duncaster

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: The Dragon of Duncaster

Post by Solomoriah »

Since it is done, I've pushed Iron Falcon Adventures One to the main page, replacing Dungeon of Kyros (which of course the new module includes).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Longman

Post by Longman »

Duncaster looks good to me. I like the new additions - the illusion room and the strange room, especially. Boxed text is fine.

A few comments -

Can you rewrite text on page 12 to read - 'These 3 main monster groups are not particularly friendly with one another, but they all recognize the advantage of combining their numbers.' Just a bit clearer.

Also - there's a 2 in 6 chance of meeting either Hazor or Sygoreth as random encounters and this might lead to a bit of an anti-climax if they are met early on. Can you specify that Sygoreth will definitely retreat to his lair, rather than just a large space? And that Hazor, also, will stage a fighting retreat, letting the zombies do the up front work while he makes a getaway at the back.

I think it would be a shame if a random encounter roll while digging in the hard briars ended up with a stand up fight with Sygoreth or Hazor. It should be staged so that they are encountered in combat after much of the complex has been explored.

Other than that I have no additions to release 4.

This was fun. If you want to do another one sometime, count me in.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Longman wrote:Can you rewrite text on page 12 to read - 'These 3 main monster groups are not particularly friendly with one another, but they all recognize the advantage of combining their numbers.' Just a bit clearer.
I used part of your version.
Longman wrote:Also - there's a 2 in 6 chance of meeting either Hazor or Sygoreth as random encounters and this might lead to a bit of an anti-climax if they are met early on.
Actually, the chance was 1 in 4 for either of them, except that you could only encounter Sygoreth on the lowest level. I've changed the table to reduce the odds a bit.
Longman wrote:Can you specify that Sygoreth will definitely retreat to his lair, rather than just a large space?
Done, sort of. I wrote that he would prefer to do that.
Longman wrote:And that Hazor, also, will stage a fighting retreat, letting the zombies do the up front work while he makes a getaway at the back.
I'm made some minor changes to his description, but didn't limit it as much as you are above.
Longman wrote:This was fun. If you want to do another one sometime, count me in.
Are you only interested in working on Iron Falcon projects? I have a couple of Basic Fantasy adventures that are not quite finished and could use some work. Strongholds of Sorcery in particular needs some help.

I'll be working on another, larger adventure for Iron Falcon in a few months, but right now I'm doing a Basic Fantasy production surge.
Longman

Post by Longman »

I'll have a look at Strongholds soon, but I did enjoy being in on this from the beginning.

Not fussed about whether it is BF or IF.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Just curious - did you run this at the Con or in any other venue?

If so, how did it go?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, I ran Dragon of Duncaster at Quincon back in July. The players were... bonkers... and the adventure went rather sideways. One PC ended up joining the gnolls, and the other survivors sucked up to the dragon in order to make it out alive.
Longman

Post by Longman »

:D