Iron Falcon Release Announcements

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: New Project: Iron Falcon

Post by Solomoriah »

That's what I will do, IF I do it at all.

So, I'm uploading R7 now...

Announcing!

Iron Falcon Rules Release 7 -- February 16, 2015
This release includes full magic item tables, some alternate combat rules, and headers for all the missing spells (and details for a few of them).

http://ironfalcon.basicfantasy.org/
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Incidentally, though I'm not ready to show it yet, I'm working on an introductory dungeon for it. When it's done, I'll probably do a BFRPG version as well.

It's a, um... split level. Level 2 is only 10' down from level 1, but offset; level 3 (actually 3A and 3B) are offset in the other direction, under level 1. Probably have a pit or three that drop from level 1 to level 3 directly. Level 4 is offset back under level 2, connected to both 3A and 3B, and is prone to flooding. Really looking forward to playtesting it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

... which leads to a question. Would putting HP checkboxes in an Iron Falcon adventure look wrong to anyone? I'm kind of addicted to them.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Don't see any reason for it to be wrong, go ahead with it
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

As I mentioned, I'm in favor of making it fit nicely with BFRPG and work with the standard BFRPG adventure format. No complaint here.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The paladin thing could be put as an optional rules along similar "classes" )rangers, druids, bards. I don't know if its possible, but every time I read that kind of rule I wish there was the option of using it from the start, so a GM can choose to go with a level 1 paladin from the start or use the fighter gaining paladinhood way.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Cadriel

Post by Cadriel »

I just heard about this and promptly wrote about it on my blog. To put it simply: I'm very impressed with what you've done so far. It's tight, it's well written, and it covers everything I'd want from an OD&D+Greyhawk clone - which is something I've actually been wanting for a while now.

The one thing I'd say is that the bestiary could really be more OD&D in feel. I don't see a Balrog analog, which was a big factor in early OD&D play; I also think several of the missing monsters from pages 21 and 22 of Monsters & Treasure would be welcome, particularly living statues, cyclopses, robots, and androids. And the Martian creatures from volume 3's encounter tables (various Martian races plus Apts, Banths, Thoats, Calots, White Apes, Orluks, Sith, Tharks, and Darseen) would be welcome but I understand if that's getting a little bloated for where you're aiming. I like all those additions because they make the game a lot more "wild" than the more staid and familiar lists of B/X and AD&D.
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

Cadriel wrote:It's tight, it's well written, and it covers everything I'd want from an OD&D+Greyhawk clone
I'm going to root Solo on with this point.

Compared to some other OD&D clones, which are more wordy, this is showing to be quite concise.
DuBeers

Post by DuBeers »

I really like the look and syllabus of this project and will be watching with a great deal of interest. Nice idea, Solomoriah.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Cadriel wrote:I just heard about this and promptly wrote about it on my blog. To put it simply: I'm very impressed with what you've done so far. It's tight, it's well written, and it covers everything I'd want from an OD&D+Greyhawk clone - which is something I've actually been wanting for a while now.
Thank you! Just read your blog post, actually, and I felt I should mention a couple of things. First, some of the things you mentioned not caring so much about will actually be in Iron Falcon, just as optional rules. I'm also making Intelligent Swords optional; the original game actually seems to say that ALL magic swords should be intelligent... gah, that would drive me nuts! But I need to include those things to achieve the high level of fidelity I'm aiming for.
Cadriel wrote:The one thing I'd say is that the bestiary could really be more OD&D in feel. I don't see a Balrog analog, which was a big factor in early OD&D play; I also think several of the missing monsters from pages 21 and 22 of Monsters & Treasure would be welcome, particularly living statues, cyclopses, robots, and androids. And the Martian creatures from volume 3's encounter tables (various Martian races plus Apts, Banths, Thoats, Calots, White Apes, Orluks, Sith, Tharks, and Darseen) would be welcome but I understand if that's getting a little bloated for where you're aiming. I like all those additions because they make the game a lot more "wild" than the more staid and familiar lists of B/X and AD&D.
The Barsoomian critters are a no-go at this point, and I have to be careful how I approach the demonic/devilish creatures for reasons of Product Identity. I'm going to evaluate those issues after more of the core game is done.

Living statues and cyclopses will probably make the cut; robots and androids, not so much. I'm not a fan of Dave's sci-fi additions, which those things play into.