Iron Falcon Release Announcements

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
DuBeers

Re: New Project: Iron Falcon

Post by DuBeers »

Give 'em their own saves. No problem here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Iron Falcon Rules Release 11 -- February 19, 2015
Once again, the spells up through H are done, but this time I've remembered the later spells as well. Some updates in the Combat section have been added, mostly in the form of rules for Oil and Holy Water. I reorganized the early sections to fix some flow issues, and to present introductory information in a better order as well. Also threw in some "new" (public domain) artwork that I think works really well.

http://ironfalcon.basicfantasy.org/
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Iron Falcon Rules Release 12 -- February 20, 2015
This release adds rules for monster reactions, and fills in the spells up to Magic Missile.

http://ironfalcon.basicfantasy.org/
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

It's shaping up nicely!

One thing I noticed in OD&D and Delving Deeper: monsters get an attack for each HD they have (maybe that's just against normal man and not heroes/superheroes??). I didn't read it in DD but in OD&D it seemed to assumed quite large numbers of PCs so I don't know if that's why it was, but it just seems that for classic D&D to always have much faster/abstract combat that to have 10-20 PCs (yes that's what it says in OD&D) and 2-12 Trolls (with 6 attacks per Troll) that seems like quite a number of rolls. :)
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Also, if you (anyone, not just Solo) haven't read Philotomy's Musings you really need to check it out!
Attachments
Philotomy.pdf
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 379 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

That whole "one attack per hit die" thing is a Chainmail thing. Iron Falcon is built around the original game's "alternate" combat system, the system we all know and love using d20's for attacks against a given AC. The first supplement added variable weapon damage (swords hurt more than daggers) which is part of why I say it's the first "modern" version.
slade

Post by slade »

chiisu81 wrote:in OD&D it seemed to assumed quite large numbers of PCs
Back when we played, players would pick which of their characters or henchmen was playing that session, but the players also varied session to session, so we never had more than a handful of PCs adventuring in any one session.
merias

Post by merias »

Solomoriah wrote:That whole "one attack per hit die" thing is a Chainmail thing. Iron Falcon is built around the original game's "alternate" combat system, the system we all know and love using d20's for attacks against a given AC. The first supplement added variable weapon damage (swords hurt more than daggers) which is part of why I say it's the first "modern" version.
It did originate with Chainmail, but Monsters & Treasure has multiple attacks for monsters at the top of p. 5. While it was never spelled out for PCs in Men & Magic, the OD&D FAQ written by Gary in a 1975 issue of Strategic Review clarifies the alternative combat system. I'll quote the relevant bit, but K&KA has the entire FAQ online at http://knightsnknaves.proboards.com/thread/207. That FAQ came out just before Greyhawk was published.

"...It is suggested that the alternate system in D & D be used to resolve the important melees where principal figures are concerned, as well as those involving the stronger monsters....

...A super hero, for example, would attack eight times only if he were fighting normal men (or creatures basically that strength, i.e.,kobolds, goblins, gnomes, dwarves, and so on).

... Round 2: lniative goes to the Hero.
- Score required to hit Orcs -- 11 (4th level fighter vs. AC 6).
Assume the following dice score by the Hero. Note that he is allowed one attack for each of his combat levels as the ratio of one Orc vs. the Hero is 1:4, so this is treated as normal (non-fantastic) melee, as is any combat where the score of one side is a base 1 hit die or less.

Hero: 19; 01; 16; 09. Two out of four blows struck..."
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ah. So that is the origin of the 1E rule about fighters attacking creatures having less than one hit die. The rule started in Chainmail and was repeatedly toned down from one set of rules to another.

I'm developing the feeling that the earliest, the very earliest, games looked a lot like wargames when combat started. But I'm not going there.

The system we all know and love, the "alternate" system from the original books, has the cardinal virtue of simplicity. This fits in to my goal of making a playable game; I want to remove, as much as possible, the Chainmail influences.

If I had run games that far back (I was in grade school), that's how I'd have done it.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I really don't like the "one attack per HD" rule at all, JMO
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/