Iron Falcon Release Announcements

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: New Project: Iron Falcon

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Iron Falcon Rules Release 43 -- March 25, 2015
Not much changed in this release... a word here and there, a little dab of additional public domain artwork, but mostly just touchups.

http://ironfalconrpg.com
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Iron Falcon Rules Release 44 -- March 26, 2015
More minor stuff. The main change in this release is the Campaign Checklist form in the back.

One of the things I noticed with Basic Fantasy's supplements was that people starting a game often say "I'm running BFRPG with Druids, Illusionists, Combat Options and Thief Options" or some other combination of supplements. It's a convenient shorthand that allows the Game Master to quickly describe his or her campaign's rules. With Iron Falcon there are a number of choices of interpretation laid out in the rules, so providing a checklist is analogous to the supplement lists of BFRPG. Later, when supplements for Iron Falcon appear, they'll get added to the notes at the bottom.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

By the way, everyone... remember, if you participated in this thread (or the ones at the ODD74 or Dragonsfoot forums), you are eligible to be credited in my game. I will not credit you if you do not agree, since not everyone who participated approves of Iron Falcon.

Just email me the way you want your name to appear, and I'll get you in there.

solomoriah@basicfantasy.org
Mint

Post by Mint »

I was wondering if there was any chance of getting some sort of rules (if they're necessary) about what to do if you want to run a campaign where the characters are of a social status such that they are all of noble birth and have some sort of demesne.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hmm. The rules in the original game don't go much beyond costs to build and income from taxation. Perhaps someone else will have a suggestion of a game or resource designed for that level of play.

I'd wing it, myself. But I've been doing this a while.
Mint

Post by Mint »

Is fine. I knew it would probably be outside the scope of what you're doing with the book but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks. :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Iron Falcon Rules Release 45 -- March 28, 2015
This is the first print release candidate. It includes numerous corrections submitted by James Lemon, as well as a significant correction to the Thief Abilities table pointed out by Peter A. Lindstrom. Also, a few more names are on the credits list.

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Sounds like I'm going to get to do a playtest today! My regular group will be down a player, and they're about to go into what should be a big fight in the regular campaign, so we won't be able to do that... so I should be able to whip out Iron Falcon and have them test it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, so I had my playtest. Here are a few things I've discovered:

1) The wording of the "Trading Points" subsection is not as clear as I want; I'll be revising it.
2) The encumbrance table could be a bit clearer as well. I need to add "Up to" to the weights.
3) No mention is made of the Half-Elf in the Thief writeup. I should note somewhere what bonuses, if any, they get. The original rules are mum on the subject, I believe, but that doesn't mean I can't give them half bonuses or something like that. Just have to make up my mind and write it down.
4) I don't think any guidance is given on frequency of encounter checks or the odds of an encounter in the dungeon. I should review the whole section, in fact.
5) There is no pricing for sling ammunition. If the wielder is supposed to use found stones, I need to note that, or otherwise provide some guidance.
6) There is also no pricing for Thieves' Tools, nor any entry for a Tinderbox or other means of making fire.

I need to give all of the above some thought and then put up a revised version. Suggestions are welcome!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Iron Falcon Rules Release 46 -- March 30, 2015
This is the second print release candidate, containing revisions I discovered a need for after my playtest yesterday. Please see the forum threads for details on the changes in this release; they're pretty minor.