Chapter Three: Into the Fweth Tunnels

Ah Aerth. In merry ol' Angland, King Ithwyrd lies old and feeble on his bed in Lyndon-Upon-Tems. Despite this all is well. The succession is assured and the land prospers. But something is coming that has not been seen since before the fall of the last dragon for it is... the season of the mist.

Moderator: Mint

Mint

Chapter Three: Into the Fweth Tunnels

Post by Mint »

On touching the large round gateway of obsidian set into the ground it opens. Starting at the center a hole appears and grows until it is about 10' in diameter.

At the edge of the opened hole is the first step of an obsidian stairway leading downward in a clockwise fashion around a central post about 2' in diameter.

Running along the wall on either side of the steps is a rail at about 4' in height. The rail looks like it can be used to hold onto while descending the steps which seem just a bit taller than normal. A thin blue line of faint light runs along the center of the upper side of the rail, providing a tiny bit of light.

As you follow the stairs carefully down their smooth glass-like surface causes you to nearly fall as you slip occasionally. Soon you have gone about 20' down and you hear what must be the sound of the gate above you closing.

As quiet descends in the faintly lit and cool darkness you think you can hear faint clicking or skittering sounds far below.
Woe

Re: Chapter Three: Into the Fweth Tunnels

Post by Woe »

Torch in hand, Elizabeth looks back to make sure the others are still behind her. She'll continue down the stairs, pondering whether she should sheathe her sword and use the rail for balance. No point trying to be too silent. she thinks. The torchlight will give us away even if our footsteps don't.

((the tiny bit of blue light doesn't sound very bright. true?))
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Edward's stomach makes a sickening growling sound and a fluttery, wet sound of flatulence escapes him. He sighs in satisfaction, "ahhh, that feels much better. Going underground always makes me stomach churn," he growls. "I don't suppose many nice things grow down here. I already feel a loss of communion."

Edward will remain at the rear of the party, listening for sounds from behind them and keeping frequent looks to the rear.
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

Alrone will occupy his space next to edward (10ft corridors so 2 abreast)
Mint

Post by Mint »

OOC:
Woe wrote:
((the tiny bit of blue light doesn't sound very bright. true?))
Not very. Keep in mind though that even the relatively light impaired human eye will adjust extensively, given time, to very dim light.
black1blade wrote:
Alrone will occupy his space next to edward (10ft corridors so 2 abreast)
The total diameter of the stairwell going down is 10'. Going from one edge of the circular hole in which the stairwell is situated to the opposite edge, therefore, you have a 4' wide stair, the 2' wide core, and another 4' wide stair. Very like, in layout, the stairs going up a tower in a medieval castle.
Longman

Post by Longman »

William keeps going down with his bow out. "Sergeant? Perhaps we should extinguish that torch and see if our eyes adjust. Otherwise, if these things attack us, you will be a magnet for their missiles in the darkness."

[OOC - I take it from Mint's previous answer that we are in single file. I think we are Liz - Will - Al - Ed. Any objections?]
Woe

Post by Woe »

(quietly) "Ok William, let's give that a try. I'll pass the torch back to Edgar and see if our eyes adjust. If they don't, we won't have any awkward moments in near-darkness." Elizabeth will hand back the torch to William and once he's passed it back further, she'll take a few more steps forward (to first get to the edge of torchlight, then *gulp* beyond). She'll also sheathe her sword and keep her halberd at ready.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

"Edgar?"

William sighed. His sergeant was strong, a great leader, and a wonder to behold in combat. But sometimes, he sensed she was really not the brightest apple on the tree.

He passed the torch back to Edward, as instructed.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Edward steps back from the torch. "Why you go and ruin my darkvision by waving that thing in my face. Either put it out or send it back to the front. I don't need it. "

He turns to look behind them and rubs his eyes like he can wipe the torch light from his sockets and grumbles softly. "what's so hard about seeing down here, that little blue light stream is practically a blazing torch."

he'll wait a moment to let the light move away from him, peer backwards into the gloom as his vision returns and then will continue following the others.
Longman

Post by Longman »

The torch is out. The humans check to see if we can see.