Chapter Two: Caerton (Alrone)

Ah Aerth. In merry ol' Angland, King Ithwyrd lies old and feeble on his bed in Lyndon-Upon-Tems. Despite this all is well. The succession is assured and the land prospers. But something is coming that has not been seen since before the fall of the last dragon for it is... the season of the mist.

Moderator: Mint

Mint

Re: Chapter Two: Caerton (Alrone)

Post by Mint »

Although it is nearing noon as you head back out into the streets of Upton Quarter the air is still cold and snow is falling heavily. Taking a left on Summer road you come to Hill street which runs the western length of the quarter from Serin way all the way down to Upper Market. Heading down it you soon pass Winter court on your left and arrive at the market area in short order, the snow starting to accumulate under your booted feet.
There are few people about due to the inclement weather but, as you head into the square you see that there is a gathering of people at it's eastern edge. They seem to be talking excitedly and gesticulating as they look down into South quarter as they stand at the edge of the hill. You cross the square and approach the crowd.

(OOC: Stopping the action here as you will need to encounter people to get through.)
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

(OOC:So do I continue? or do I have to wait for the rest of the party to catch up?"
Mint

Post by Mint »

(OOC: No I need a post from you describing what you're going to do when you come up to the crowd)
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

I shall approach the crowd cautiously and attempt to see what all the fuss is about. I don't shove but graciously shift through anyone in the way (as I would not be able to see over their heads due to my height). I ready one of my walking sticks just in case.
Mint

Post by Mint »

As you make your way through the crowd the people grudgingly let you pass and you hear one or two low mutters about "low-towners". The young ladies in the crowd, however, seem happy to let you stand beside them as you take your turn to look down the hillside to see whatever is capturing everyone's attention enough to stand out in the cold and snow.

Almost immediately you see that something odd has happened to Southwall Road and then, when you look more closely, you can see that every single cobble in the street along it's entire length from the watchtower at it's eastern end to the bottom of Upton Hill has stood on end. What is more every single cobble seems to be standing perfectly vertical with their upper edges not only perfectly level but at the same exact height in relation to each other.

The reaction from the crowd is varied. There are some who sound worried and few others who sound angered. Overall, however, the tone is one of amazement. Tittering and chuckles suddenly erupt and you see why.

A few bystanders on the street below seem to be attempting to dislodge the cobbles but their efforts are comically in vain as they heave and shove and slip and fall and grunt and grow red in the face. The cobbles, on the other hand, do nothing except to remain exactly as they are.

After a moment you notice a small group making their way up the hill along the road. Relieved, you discover they are your companions from the ship. Elizabeth, William, Edward, and Kynndelic are walking with the horse in the center while Shaha's slumped form is draped over it, wrapped in a blanket.
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

Detect magic straight away on the stones. Otherwise I rush over to the rest of the party.
Mint

Post by Mint »

Alrone sends out the tendrils of his wizardly senses and here and there amongst the crowd he detects the glow of small magical items of little power. At around sixty feet he reaches the outermost edge of his ability to detect anything. Moving down the road his area of detection moves with him but he senses nothing new even when he comes up to his companions who are still within the outer range of the cobbles.

(OOC: At this point this sub thread is now closed and Alrone rejoins the main party.)