Chapter Two: Caerton

Ah Aerth. In merry ol' Angland, King Ithwyrd lies old and feeble on his bed in Lyndon-Upon-Tems. Despite this all is well. The succession is assured and the land prospers. But something is coming that has not been seen since before the fall of the last dragon for it is... the season of the mist.

Moderator: Mint

Woe

Re: Chapter Two: Caerton

Post by Woe »

[OOC - These are the errands my character wants done before we go down below as requested in the OOC thread.]
You asked earlier. Yes, Elizabeth is willing to help pay for such a scout. Dwarven subterranean ranger please!
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Mint

Post by Mint »

(OOC: These tunnels are completely unknown by anyone of this current age.)
Mint

Post by Mint »

Shaha leads the party through the now empty city at the end of the next day with the Mist advancing inexorably from the north and west. Finally, in a non-descript alley in South Quarter she stops and turns to the party.

"This is where we must part ways. Once I reveal the entrance to the Fweth tunnels you must enter and start your quest and I mine. Remember. The tunnels have been sealed away from the over world for an age."

"Now. Alrone, here are the other two parts to the rod of warding." Opening her pouch she draws out the amber stone given her by Edward. After handing it to him she pulls out another stone, also heart sized. This one is a brilliant clear crystal and at it's center shines a white spark of light. She hands it to the half-elven sorcerer as well and says, "Attach one stone at either end of the rod to make it function. It will work for but one hour a day for every hour that it remains dormant up to no more than twelve. For it to renew itself the stones must be removed from the rod."

She nods to Alrone and shifts her gaze to William, Elizabeth's faithful companion. "I have thought long and hard for an appropriate tool to give you and I hope I have made the proper choice." Dipping her hand into her pouch she draws out a mace. Shaha hands it to him and he notices that though it is nearly three feet in length and appears wrought from a single piece of shimmering dark grey metal it has next to no weight. Moving it through the air, however, belies that perception as it takes a bit of effort to overcome the momentum.

"That weapon was designed specifically to fight the Draka, sixth of the six Second Children races. They were subverted by Ae from the start and serve him as did his own creations, the Fweth. Though not as fearsome as the Fweth they were greater in number. The Draka are fast and quick to heal. Beware them. The mace you hold will afford you some protection as well."

She steps back and pulls a small egg-shaped stone from her pouch, kneels, and removes her cloak. The shimmering aura that shone faintly before now brightens and she appears almost translucent. Holding the gem over the cobbles at their feet a coruscating circle of light appears and begins to grow. As the party makes room for the circle it grows in size until it nearly fills the alley edge to edge. The light fades and in it's place you see a round door of obsidian stone shot through with faintly glowing blue lines fine as silken threads that appear to be both writing and design.

"That is the entry to the Fweth tunnel." She points to a hand sized indentation close to the perimeter, "Pull up on that and it will open. You have three minutes to enter and no more. After that the entry will seal itself away again."

Straightening up, the light fades from her and she becomes substantial again. "Be well. Be strong." Nodding she turns and seems to fade into the dark as she draws her cloak about her.
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

Alrone speaks after placing the disassembled rod of warding on his belt (each piece is easily accessible and ready to assemble) "So is everyone ready for this...I never though in a million years I would be involved in a world centric event but oh well I am sure the fweth have all sorts of magic to witness" He speaks with a slight quiver in his tone. "Who is going to do the honours and open the gate?"
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; or we'll close up the wall with our Anglish dead." With a lit torch in one hand and her (non-magical) longsword in the other, Elizabeth will boldly open the gate.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

William takes the mace and swishes it about somewhat childishly, like a boy who has been given a plastic light-saber cutting the heads off flowers on Christmas day. He has used a mace before, but not often.

He practices using it with a cutlass in the other hand, too, as is his custom. Then when he realises she is leaving, he remembers his manners and says:

"Farewell, Shaha. Godpseed you on your mission, and thank you for your blessing upon ours."

He moves into tunnel behind Elizabeth, with the mace stowed away and his bow out, pointing a nocked arrow at anything that moves, or even looks like it might move.

(I'm not saying he's edgy. No, not at all.)
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Edward was reliving his bowels behind a stonewall when the door was opened. Startled at the abruptness he attempts to pinch off a loaf and get through the door before the three minutes is up.
Mint

Post by Mint »

This looks like a good place to end this chapter. I will open chapter three shortly.