Chapter Two: Caerton

Ah Aerth. In merry ol' Angland, King Ithwyrd lies old and feeble on his bed in Lyndon-Upon-Tems. Despite this all is well. The succession is assured and the land prospers. But something is coming that has not been seen since before the fall of the last dragon for it is... the season of the mist.

Moderator: Mint

Woe

Re: Chapter Two: Caerton

Post by Woe »

"Intheil, I am Elizabeth Wolfe of the... nevermind. You already know who we are, and introductions are unnecessary. Sorry, I'm being impolite." Elizabeth blushes, and tries to start over. "Are you also one of Shaha's sisters?"
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

William takes a seat and keeps his mouth shut. He's thinking about sending a message down south to warn people in Abertawe that Gwyr is corrupt. And maybe one to Lyndon as well.
Mint

Post by Mint »

A whispering silken thought enters each of your minds simultaneously first soothing and calming you then forming, like wisps of sound and light, a place silver and gold. It is as though you have, in an instant, stepped from the waking world of the tavern to another place. A place with lawns of silver and trees of gold. The light in this place is shimmery, emanating from all things, even the air itself. Intheil stands before you in form the same, tall, slender, silver hair falling nearly to the lawn at her feet. Silver light shines from her with a brilliance that is dazzling.

She gestures to a pool of still water at your feet that you had not noticed before. After a moment a picture forms and you see within it laid out like a living map all of Aerth. As you look you see what appears to be a lattice or skein of lines that runs beneath the transparent skin of land and ocean. At Caerton is a bright spot where many lines begin. On other isles are other spots of bright light that, with the one at Caerton, serve as anchors and meeting places.

The scene shifts, narrows down to a single spot at one of these bright places and you see a large space of polished obsidian filled with chill blue light. In the center of this space is a pedestal on which rests a gem a foot in diameter that gleams from it's facets all the colors of the rainbow.

The scene shifts yet again and this time you see a larger space yet with a tall central pedestal on which is a gem like the others but much larger and it's radiance is brilliant in the extreme. Around the central pedestal are arrayed a circle of ten others. These are empty yet appear to be the same as the ones you saw before and meant to hold gems of their own.

The silken thought fades from your minds and you find yourselves seated still at the booth in the tavern.

In the mind of Elizabeth, however, the thought continues like a whisper of a whisper, "Eia has told you we would meet and now we have. I am Intheil, last of the Selendemir. I welcome you as a sister for it is your fate to one day, should your quest win through, to join me and my other sisters, Aili, Lianai, Shaha, and Shial. Your quest has been shown to you. Her paladin you are. Take each of the anchor gems from their place and return them to the central room. The great gem in the center will be released and a single wish it will grant in recompense. Eia has chosen you knowing you would choose to wish the Mist banished as though it had never been. Eia has approached you. Approach her in turn and she will guide you and strengthen you."
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

Alrone waves his hand and cast detect magic. He is suspicious of these illusions but welcomes bearing witness to such sorcery.
Mint

Post by Mint »

black1blade wrote:Alrone waves his hand and cast detect magic. He is suspicious of these illusions but welcomes bearing witness to such sorcery.
(OOC: The inherent detect magic ability allows you to sense magic in anything you touch. Alrone (and everyone else) instinctively sense that this is not an illusion but some sort of mental ability inherent in the Selendemir race.)
Woe

Post by Woe »

Elizabeth looks (and is!) stunned. She'll take a good drink from the nearest beer without realizing it, even if it's not hers.

"I... uh... wow." (nervous laugh) "That's a lot to take in. I have so many questions! How can we find these ley lines? How do we find the anchor lines? Are those lines the Fweth tunnels? Why can't anyone else help collect the gems? It would be faster if we had help. I'm sorry, I'm babbling. I get like that when I get confused. I'm quiet now. Really."

She'll try to commit the anchor points to memory. Dammit, I wish I knew how to write! she thinks.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Mint

Post by Mint »

In your mind you hear the whisper again, "You will have help along the way to find the lines which were indeed built by the Fweth. Shaha will guide you to the entrance here in Caerton. This task is yours my young paladin, yours and that of your companions. Other brave men and women of this Age have tasks as perilous to accomplish if we are to save Aerth from the Mist. Even now some are at work to ease your way. Here now I give Shadowbane into your keeping. It can be used as any sword but is by its nature deadly to the Fweth." The whisper fades away and then, like a silver flame flickering out, Intheil is gone and in her place you see a sheathed longsword.

As the companions stare at each other Lianai comes through a doorway leading further into the tavern. She shoots a reproving glance at the bartender who quails and then disappears into the back room as she passes him.

Coming up to the table she smiles at Alrone and sits beside him. "Well! Hello. If that oaf of a bartender hadn't been such an officious toad you and I might have met earlier and shared a pleasant time together. As it is I am afraid that there won't be time for that now."

She gives him a wistful smile and then reaches into a pouch by her side which, as Alrone can plainly sense by the almost-hot warmth coming from it, is indeed magical and pulls forth a yard long rod made of some translucent black stone shot through with veins of some blue metal and hands it to him. "This is a part of the device which will protect your party from the Mist on your travels. As you are the one in the party most adept with the eldritch flows of magic into your keeping I give it. When you have all the parts you must assemble the device with your own hands so that it will be attuned to you and no other. And now I too must take my leave of you all." With a wink she leans forward and gives Alrone a kiss which burns hot and tastes of cinnamon on his lips. She then rises, grasps Shaha's hand a moment, and leaves before you have a chance even to gasp a breath.

(OOC: Edited this post to include a last bit from Intheil.)
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

Alrone sits there dumb struck then turns to Shasa: "You sisters are a fan of swift entrances and exits I see." Alrone light up with a smile although you can see the faintest tear in his eye. "Well everyone is ready for tomorrow right? Edward my gruff friend of nature, Joscelin you sly rouge, Elizibeth knight no holy Paladin and William the loyal guardsman, what we go onto seems to be bigger than any of us could imagine. Our bonds of friendship are of the utmost importance, not only for our quaint adventuring party but for the entire realm." Alrone puts his hand forward.(lets do the putting hand together thing and pledge blah blah ;) )
Woe

Post by Woe »

(When the longsword appears)
Elizabeth leans over to William and says, "I know this sounds stupid, but do you see a longsword right there on the table?" After he answers, she'll add. "Curiouser and curiouser. I'm glad you're here. I might need you to keep me sane." She'll stand up to buckle Shadowbane to her belt.

(When Lainai disappears)
"Shaha, you aren't going to disappear on us also, are you? With all of your sisters disappearing, how do we contact you if we need your help?"

(Alrone's pledge)
Paladin, hmm? she thinks to herself. I'm so not sure what to do now. Tossing the confusion aside for a minute, she shakes herself out of these thoughts and agrees with Alrone. "Yes, definitely. If we're going to save the world, we need to start by trusting each other." She grabs Alrone's hand and pulls him in for a big hug (everyone is standing up by now, of course). "There. That's the way we show trust to each other in Abertawe. You too, Brother Edward." She looks at William for a minute, then smiles. "You... I'll get you sausages. I already trust you." and then she goes off to fetch some sausages and a Very Big Tankard of ale. Actually, a few. It's going to be a long night of planning.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

"Lady, Shaha, is that gem the little girl on the ship gave you a part of all this? If so, I'm glad I didn't drop it in the ocean."