Chapter One: The Star and the Sylvan Sea

Ah Aerth. In merry ol' Angland, King Ithwyrd lies old and feeble on his bed in Lyndon-Upon-Tems. Despite this all is well. The succession is assured and the land prospers. But something is coming that has not been seen since before the fall of the last dragon for it is... the season of the mist.

Moderator: Mint

Mint

Chapter One: The Star and the Sylvan Sea

Post by Mint »

On winter's solstice during the Yuletide an event happened which few at the time remarked. Far overhead a flaming star streaked across the night sky.

A Saexen farmer saw it first as he wended his way home from the tavern tankard in hand. Raising his tankard in cheery greeting he continued to his warm bed. On it roared across the sky as it flamed like some dragon of old.

In Laeon they saw it, in their stone castles dotting the countryside and in Yiren too where it was taken for a bane-sidhe by the sound it made.

The Halfling folk of Kenten thought it a firework given by Ei, god of fire.

What the Orcs on Gothrak thought no one knew or cared to ask.

Too low in the sky for the gnomes of Gwyln to see they heard a hissing only and were, thereby, perhaps the first to mark the event with foreboding.

In Dwarvenholme the dwarves looked speculatively at the flaming star as they well knew the quality of iron it perhaps had and their palms tingled.

In Meylond they neither saw nor heard the star but to the north in Avelyon the elves saw it and a shadow fell on their hearts as they saw it plummet into the eye of the Great Maelstrom.

In Scandenland and Angland they saw it too but briefly only as it passed from sight and into the sea.

For a time after the Great Maelstrom swallowed the star nothing happened but then, at the spring equinox, seafarers began to bring tales to the ports of the world of a mist rising over the Dragon Isles. Few listened at first, giving it no more heed than they would tales of sea monsters and mermaids.

The stories persisted however and grew more alarming for though the mist seemed just a mist by the time of the autumn equinox it covered the whole of the Great Maelstrom, the Dragon Isles, and the ruined lands of the Old Wraithen Empire.

It has even begun to lap at the eastern shores of Angland and to explore the mountain ridges there. In the north the mists have begun to flow through the straights between Angland and Scandenland and down to the edges of Caerton. Where the mists go silence follows.

It is Yuletide once again and you find yourselves aboard the good ship Sylvan Sea captained by one Harylth Galway. It is night and the common room below deck is lit by a single lantern. About the remains of dinner our story begins. The Captain sits back expansively in his chair at the head of the table while you and your comrades, sharing the table with him, sit round it too...
artikid

Re: Chapter One: The Star and the Sylvan Sea

Post by artikid »

Putting down a glass of wine Kynndelic breaks the moment of silence:
"At this time of the year and at this time of night it seems the perfect moment for ghost stories. Does a widely travelled man like you have any, captain? Maybe about this menacing mist that seems to be taking on the seas?"
Mint

Post by Mint »

For a moment Captain Galway sits in silence, a pensive frown on his weathered face. After a moment he leans forward and says, "Yuletide is a time of gladness and good cheer. A time when we give the gods thanks for a new year of life. Ghost stories are out of place at such a time but...". The Captain's face turns serious and he continues, "...perhaps it is just as well that I share a bit of what I've heard."

"I have Captained the Sylvan Sea up and down the western coast of Angland for more years than I care to count and in all that time never have I seen the look of dread that passes over the faces of my fellow Captains when talk turns to the Mists at the tables in the seaside taverns. Little is known but that where the Mists come and stay and are not turned back by fire and light silence follows. None, it is said, who venture into the deeps of the Mist return and once the Mist claims a place nothing that was there comes away. I will say this, however, by way of cheer and in keeping with Yule. Evil - and I daresay this Mist is evil spawned - may seem to win for a season but always eventually consumes itself. The days ahead may seem dark and may grow darker still but as long as there be those to stand up and take arms against the dark then light will come again."
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

Alrone places his elbow on the desk then leans his chin upon his curled fist. "It really does sound, intriguing... I wonder if their nature be that of the gods or otherwise arcane providence. I concur with the elf." he trades a glance at Kynndelic as if to gain approval "Captain, does this weird phenomenon hold any significance to you?"
Woe

Post by Woe »

"I don't understand. How is this 'Mist' different than the blankets of fog that we can find up by Caythness... peat bogs, I think they call it?" says Elizabeth.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Mint

Post by Mint »

The Captain pauses before answering his guest's questions, placing his finger at the rim of his wine glass. Unobtrusively the steward steps forward at the signal and refills the glass. After taking a sip the Captain sets his drink down.

Gazing at Alrone the Captain says, "Significance personal to myself? Why what more dreadful thing could happen than if the seas become covered in this Mist which seemingly stills all to silence? Nothing. Nothing at all that the Mist swallows comes out again. Is this not enough to cause even the stoutest heart to quail?"

Turning his gaze upon Elizabeth he continues, "The Mists do not fade with the coming of day. Where they spread and stay they do not leave. All they cover is silenced and stilled. Surely this is not the behavior of a natural mist."
Woe

Post by Woe »

Feeling a chill from the Captain's reply, Elizabeth gets up to stand by the fire.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
artikid

Post by artikid »

"It seems I made a faux-pas. I'm sorry captain, I swear my question was not born of ill-will nor frivolity. I do genuinely think that stories -even ghost stories- are merry-making in its purest form, without being necessarily morbid. But I digress."
Looking at the other guests Kynndelic smiles trying to disperse the gloomy atmosphere: "So my fellow travelers what brings you to this ship?"
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Edward answers Kynndelic with a simple, "church don't want me working the gardens any more. no place wants me it seems. so I travel."

Edward seems to relax and pull his hood back a bit in order to eat, and smiles sheepishly at each around the table. It is clear he is struggling with the silverware as he tries to appear to have some 'culture'... awkward at best.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

Alrone pipes up "Well I do suppose there must be reason for my coming here. Quite honestly I just wish to travel and explore the world however this mist is most intriguing. You see, I used to be part of Ou's church and I wonder why she would permit such a scourge to hang over her oceans. I do not practise the faith but I suppose it was drilled into my from a young age..." He trails off, gazing wistfully at the curling flames.