Chapter One: The Star and the Sylvan Sea

Ah Aerth. In merry ol' Angland, King Ithwyrd lies old and feeble on his bed in Lyndon-Upon-Tems. Despite this all is well. The succession is assured and the land prospers. But something is coming that has not been seen since before the fall of the last dragon for it is... the season of the mist.

Moderator: Mint

SmootRK

Re: Chapter One: The Star and the Sylvan Sea

Post by SmootRK »

Upon waking, Edward begins the process of straightening up the area. He notices one of the ship rats and secretly feeds it a nibble of cracker/bread he kept from the evening meal. Once the area appears orderly, Edward makes his way to the deck to take in the morning rays, and see what the other travelers are up to. He is perplexed that this group of (mostly) strangers have been so pleasant, even helpful to him.

When he notices Squire Williams Edward remarks, "thank you sir for helping me at dinner. I am not used to such gatherings. When the world provides, I eat... simple as that. Strange to me to put so much effort into dining." Edward smiles in his awkward way, then continues to contemplate the sky and waters.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Joscelin wakes up hungry. After a quick stop at the kitchen getting a snack, he will do a bit of reconnaissance around the ship to get some general informations (size of ship, number of sailors working on it, and so on). After this, Joscelin will join his friends on the deck.
Mint

Post by Mint »

Longman wrote:Once the sun is up, and if the seas are not too rough, I will go above deck and try to reassure myself that land can be seen off to our starboard - a term for the 'right side of the ship' that I learned from one of the sailors, just yesterday.

If land can be seen, I will hover about near the tender boats, making sure that Elizabeth and I would be first aboard if the main ship starts to founder.

All the while keeping an anxious eye out for mist, and large sea serpents.

If the land cannot be seen and we are completely out in the open ocean I will scuttle back below deck, unless there is any other reason to be above.
Technically starboard is the right side of the ship when looking forward toward the bow. ;)

At deck level land can't be seen. It is probable, however, that the lookout in the crow's next can barely glimpse it.

You see what appears to be haze all around the visible horizon. It may be a bit thicker to the north but then again that may just be your imagination. Having never been to sea you aren't sure what this means...if it means anything.

At the moment the seas seem peaceful with no sea serpents poking their heads above the water to sniff at tasty morsels. That could change however... :twisted:
Mint

Post by Mint »

mTeasdale wrote:Joscelin wakes up hungry. After a quick stop at the kitchen getting a snack, he will do a bit of reconnaissance around the ship to get some general informations (size of ship, number of sailors working on it, and so on). After this, Joscelin will join his friends on the deck.
On appearing at the kitchen door the cook looks up with a frown and then rings the pull bell. A moment later one of the stewards appears and sizes up the situation with a glance. Politely he accompanies you to the dining room (a larger room than the Captain's cozy little dining area) where you find a chair to sit. After taking your order the steward returns a few minutes later with your breakfast.

On your reconnaissance of the ship you discover that some areas are off limits, at others you are politely ignored, and that there are some (designed for passengers) where you are greeted by accommodating stewards or nodded at by fellow passengers.

To your landsman's eye everything below decks seems cramped and every last square inch of space packed with an endless array of equipment or supplies. Often, as you walk along the passageways, you find you have to either duck below the low overhead or turn and lean against the bulkheads to make way for one of the crew to get by you. Everywhere the air is filled with the combined smell of wood, tar, and dried sea salt. Everywhere, that is, except in places like the kitchen or the bilges (which the crew were only too happy to show you).

Once you've finished looking about below deck you finally arrive outside on the main deck where the fresh sea breeze clears your head. You figure that the Sylvan Sea is roughly 300' in length with a beam (the widest part of the ship - usually) of around 75'. She is a full rigged ship of three masts. A very rough estimate leaves you thinking that the crew is around 150 or so.
artikid

Post by artikid »

After looking for a while at the sea Kynndelic notices the other travellers on the deck.
He approaches the nearest group:" Lady Wolfe, Brother Edward, Master William. Good morning to you, I hope you slept well. I find the sea fascinating, don't you? Oh, here comes Sir Joscelin."
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

Alrone wakes up a bit later than everyone else. The hustle and bustle of the ship doesn't phase him though and he kindly greets all the men in his path. His stomach rumbles slightly-he shall go in the search for food...
Mint

Post by Mint »

black1blade wrote:Alrone wakes up a bit later than everyone else. The hustle and bustle of the ship doesn't phase him though and he kindly greets all the men in his path. His stomach rumbles slightly-he shall go in the search for food...
As Alrone enters the Sylvan Sea's dining room he sees a young woman with bright red hair and a nearly golden complexion sitting alone at a table near one of the small stain glass bordered windows set into the thick hull. She is dressed in simple commoner clothing and appears apprehensive at the relative luxury of her surroundings as though she's not sure how to comport herself in such an environment. The table with it's snowy white cloth is nearly empty and you gather she hasn't ordered yet.
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

Alrone slowly walks up to her and speaks in a soft tone "You ever heard those suspicions about women being unlucky to travel on ships? Damned rumours I say, this journey seems to be going fine. Anyway I wouldn't suppose you want a drink or a brief meal-I have a bit of excess coin that I chanced upon on the coast" Alrone gazes at her hopefully, waiting for a reply...
Mint

Post by Mint »

The woman, who is wearing a homespun brown dress and a worn cloak of the same color, looks up and you see her eyes are a bright green as they hold you for a moment in their gaze.

She seems about to object but then nods slightly and indicates the chair opposite her at the table. "I was just about to have breakfast. Mr....?"
Woe

Post by Woe »

Elizabeth is up topside, soaking up the sun. If anyone is up for sparring on the deck, she'd be willing to do the same (assuming she'd be able to stay out of the way of the crew). Almost all of her gear, including weapons and armor, is in her locker down midship.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot