Rules

Ah Aerth. In merry ol' Angland, King Ithwyrd lies old and feeble on his bed in Lyndon-Upon-Tems. Despite this all is well. The succession is assured and the land prospers. But something is coming that has not been seen since before the fall of the last dragon for it is... the season of the mist.

Moderator: Mint

Mint

Rules

Post by Mint »

This is an old school campaign and, as such, rules lawyering does not exist. It is my responsibility to make a decision about the rules as fairly as possible. Sometimes this will mean that an unpopular decision has to be made. The core book and supplements exist only as a reference and whatever they contain within are not to be considered as set in stone or law. The only thing that is set in stone is that the GM always has final say.

Daily posting.
Post daily. It won't always be necessary to post a paragraph. Sometimes you can get by with just a line or two. Rarely you could get by with just one sentence. Access to this site by computer or cell phone is, for all intents and purposes, universal. If you know before hand that you will have to miss x amount of days then it is up to you to let us know with enough time to roleplay your character doing something else in the meantime. If you miss a daily post don't panic. The result will be that your character will lose one HP permanently each day you miss a post. For each month that you go without missing a post you are rewarded by first regaining any HP you lost by missing a post. After that for each month you don't miss a daily post you will be rewarded with either one additional HP, one point to spend on your stats, or a 10% increase in XP. Player's choice. The reason for this is that this is meant, from it's inception, to be a fast paced PBP. Also, in a PBP involving more than one person everyone has to wait for everyone else to post usually so if someone decides to not post for a week then they are forcing everyone else to wait on them.

Play as a team. Be excellent to each other.

I'm giving you a lot of leeway with your choices of race and class and also with which supplements you can use. Please. Don't abuse this. Thanks. :D
Mint

OSR vs. Legalism

Post by Mint »

One of the main virtues of OSR (IMHO) is that the GM is not only allowed but must put themselves totally into the milieu as it happens and rise above the rules because rules can never really cover every situation. Some rpgs truly try. After thousands of pages of rules all they accomplish is selling you, the forker over of hard earned cash, books that will doom a campaign to hours of rules wrangling until either the GM or the players succeed in wearing the other down. The game then goes on until the next instance happens. This must be fun for some people (lawyers in training I suspect). For myself I wish to present a world where you, the player, can become the character you made for yourself and escape reality for a moment whilst trusting that I am not going to arbitrarily going to kill you out of hand. So. That said please realize that I expect you, the player, to lay all books aside once we get started and trust that I will be an impartial referee neither out to get you or to be your friend.
Mint

Magic Options Allowed

Post by Mint »

First. Thank you all for your restraint on what Magic Options you'd like.

Things you can use:

0 level Cantrips

Arcane Bolt #1

Magic Users can cast spells using armor with NO metal at all. Basically armor option #2

Bonus Spells for High Intelligence

Inherent Detect and Read Magic

House Rule: Magic User may ONLY use a quarter staff as a weapon. And then only if it doesn't have any metal whatsoever.