Play By Post (PBP) Interest Check

Ah Aerth. In merry ol' Angland, King Ithwyrd lies old and feeble on his bed in Lyndon-Upon-Tems. Despite this all is well. The succession is assured and the land prospers. But something is coming that has not been seen since before the fall of the last dragon for it is... the season of the mist.

Moderator: Mint

SmootRK

Re: Play By Post (PBP) Interest Check

Post by SmootRK »

Mint wrote:
SmootRK wrote:Assuming druid is OK, I will do Halfling (race flexible at this point) Druid, with a background of growing up working as grounds care-taker of this megalithic religious organization. He follows the religion (more info on the religion please, sounds rather Catholic inspired) in its basic sense but has realized that he has a certain (even divine) affinity towards critters, plants, and other aspects of nature (more of a St. Francis type - not so much the Celtic Mother Earth worshiper). He follows the directives of the church organization like any other faithful layman would, but understands he is not actually part of the church clergy and might even be persecuted for his non-traditional or even heretical manner of worship (not to the deity itself, but to the religious/political-like church hierarchy).

This all sound OK?
Overall this is fine. Whilst the church is, in a sense, inspired by the medieval hierarchical structure this is where the similarities end. There is an overall Divinity. However, beneath this Divinity are the other lesser divinities. Each of the monastic orders of the church focus their worship on one of these as it is considered beyond the ability of mortals to come into direct contact with the Divinity itself. Also, in this world there has been no recorded instance of persecution as we think of it. To be sure there are evil lesser divinities - and they really are evil not just misunderstood or displaced. These, of course, are not in the church. The cleric in this game is a member of one of the militant orders who devote their time and energy to eradicating the minions of these evil divinities. Think, if you will, Iluvatar and the Ainur. The Valar and Maiar from the Silmarillion. So your character could certainly be a druid but he wouldn't be persecuted.
Ok, I misread where you were going with that. I will have to re-think a bit.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Mint

Post by Mint »

Nightwulf wrote:Hey I know I'm late but could I join??? I haven't read the whole thread so I don't really know exactly what your allowing in the game but I'll read it when I've got more time. I just wanted to see if there was more room for me to join is all
I can certainly put you on the waiting list and thanks for your interest in the game! :D
Mint

Post by Mint »

Once we have a thread of our own I'll be making up both a blank character sheet for you all to use and also a sample character to illustrate.

I'd like everyone to devote some time to finding a pic for your character. You're free to choose whatever pic you like, of course, but try to steer away from pics that don't reflect the description you've given for your character. In fact, it's probably best to get a race and class in mind and then find a pic that will closely match that. Once you have that then write your character description. I have final say on whether a pic will fit the campaign or not. I'm not trying to be draconian and I'm sure I can count on you all to choose something appropriate. I'm just trying to prevent cases where all pics but one have the same tone.

Here are some examples of the sort of pics I'd like to see:

From the Boldenwald campaign: Tiana Moonglade, Talin, and Freya Tigersong.
From the Winter Contingency campaign: Kiri Sendakar, and Hemett Proudarc.
From the Marketstone campaign: Nivek Tooms
From the Shards of an Empire campaign: Lys, Haldor, Sen, Tuk EnRoll, Raven Stormguard.
From the Do or Die campaign: Tanitha Ti'Atha-Par'Kellan-Dru.

You can see from the list that, though I have excluded certain types of pic there is still a range of pic styles that will fit.
Woe

Post by Woe »

I'm still working on the name because Tiana is already taken, but here's the portrait. I'll crop it or downsize it once we get to the character sheet.

Incidentally, if you can suggest a better portrait for Kilian (dwarven imperial washout who is also a recovering alcoholic with a life debt to an elf!), let me know! I couldn't find! :lol:
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
artikid

Post by artikid »

Would a celtic take on elves be ok?
I'm more or less thinking about playing a fairy knight from a Sidhe or something like that.

I guess it is OK if I do my own portrait.
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

Half elven sorcerer. Don't know either my father nor do I know my mother. As a child I was brought up in a quaint little orphanage, maybe run by a monastery. It was around age 15 they began noticing I was different. It was in fact, ever since the clergy man used his light magic when out touches went out during a hike. After seeing the brilliant light that man spelled forth I felt like I could do the same. It was like I somehow understood the power he was using. The next morning, to everyone's surprise, I conjured that same light into the air. At first they thought that divine favour had fallen upon me and they adopted me into the clergy to become a cleric. I was overjoyed at that moment (for little did I know it was to face the forces of darkness dwelling beyond the borders and that one day I would have to face them).

After a decade or so of intensive training, I had made no progress from my innate ability to cast light. Personally I was never quite up to scratch in the physical department-it was my looks and way with people (even though I didn't belong) that held me through. I did have swift agility but apart from that I was rather feeble and showed no aptitude with weapons used to smite evil. Although I say this, I was rather content with my life and I served the chapel well.

One day (while going on a small errand through my town) I saw a figure dressed in flowing red robes. He was carrying many books and it looked as if he was having trouble carrying them all. I asked him if he needed help but he declined, put the books onto the floor, mumbled a few words and a strange magical disc can into existence. As it lifted the books I was mesmerised by it's brilliance and I felt something that I hadn't felt in a long time. That same feeling of during my youth, the feeling of power flowing through my veils. As well as having the power to birth light, I now had the power to conjure a floating disc into the air. Using this power was not easy however and it was hugely exhausting.

When the chapel found out I think they knew immediately, no maybe even before, that it wasn't a god granting me power but it was myself and my intimate link with something. They did not outright tell me to leave but I felt uncomfortable being in a divine house while not practising myself. I did plan to sneak out but the clergyman found him. I told him that I was looking for a life in which I could put my powers to good use. He tried to dissuade me, telling me of all the evil lying beyond these lands. At first I did not listen but then he spoke of how his child once quested out to the wild-lands. His son's death was what drove him to his faith. I took heed in his words, I truly did and as I turned from him he offered me a small pouch. It was worn but somehow I knew it was significant. He told me it was all they could recover from his son. Inside where 12 marvellous gold coins. I thanks him from the bottom of my heart and I went to buy all the equipment I thought I could need, keeping one gold coin as a memento to the man who raised me's son.

Wow, didn't realise I wrote that much. Oh well I can change it later if it infringes upon anything. As far as stats:
str=8 -1 (I had to have some excuse for not just being trained as a cleric and being shoddy with a mace is a pretty good one me thinks)
int 9 (I was taught basic adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing although I was never too good)
wis 8 -1 (I am also rather naive, being brought up in relative safety all my life)
dex 14 +1 (fairly swift of hand, my elven genes coming out I suppose)
con 10 (never had to do any physically taxing work)
cha 16 +2 (my long flowing blonde locks are very attractive and I come across as very honest and polite. People find it a pleasure to be around me)
Last edited by black1blade on Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint

Post by Mint »

Woe wrote:I'm still working on the name because Tiana is already taken, but here's the portrait. I'll crop it or downsize it once we get to the character sheet.

Incidentally, if you can suggest a better portrait for Kilian (dwarven imperial washout who is also a recovering alcoholic with a life debt to an elf!), let me know! I couldn't find! :lol:
LOL
Mint

Post by Mint »

artikid wrote:Would a celtic take on elves be ok?
I'm more or less thinking about playing a fairy knight from a Sidhe or something like that.

I guess it is OK if I do my own portrait.
Just be sure that whatever choices you make for your character's background fit in with what I've written so far on the world. It's better to read the world background and fit a character to it than to think up a character and try to make the world fit to it.
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

Divided wall of text into smaller walls of text...
artikid

Post by artikid »

@Mint: would this be OK? I can change anything you don't like.

Kynndelic-ap-Greit

Background:
They say that elves are soul-less, after meeting an elf you'd agree.
Most elves seem flawless but unexceptional: athletic but not strong; intelligent but conventional, beautiful but cold.
Why is it so? Some say it's the magic they seem to breath.
Elves are protected from illness, poverty, hunger, but they do not have to try too hard for anything.
Like roses in a greenhouse
This makes them superficial, uncaring and spoilt.

Not so for Kynndelic-ap-Greit.
Kynndelic's birth was seen as an omen in the fairy sidhe of Caer Aranrot, for good or bad it was not clear, for Heilyn, Kynndelic's mother, had given birth to twins, an exceptional event for elves.
Kynndelic and his twin Guri were inseparable.
Then -one day- Guri got killed in a freak jousting accident.
The elves mourned for a time and then life got on, in the golden, endless spring under the hill.
But Kynndelic could not go back to his previous life.
How much time can you go on feasting and frollicking without care?
One year? Ten years? A hundred?

Kynndelic now felt that the elven race was wasting its gifts, feasting its way to the grave.
So he chose to get out in the open world, see how the shorter-lived and more driven race were doing.
Kynndelic-ap-Greit is an elf looking for someone to teach him how to have a soul.

Description:
Kynndelic is rather standard for an elf: thin, beautiful and intelligent... but not so much.
He's kind of naive about everything of the outer world, but is not a fool.
No matter his tragic loss he is still an elf at heart: an easy-going and carefree wanderer.
He goes on pretty well with halflings and gnomes, is curious about dwarves and somewhat awed by humans and half-elves.
He has long hazel hair and blue eyes, with a lightly tanned skin. He sports a long red cloak with a hood and high boots.
His weapons have a bronze tinge due to the strange fairy alloy they are made of.

Fighter/Magic-User Lvl 1, Elf
Str 9
Int 13
Wis 8
Con 9
Dex 13
Cha 13 (I'd say Beauty 16, Personality 10)

PS:edited to increase readability