Play By Post (PBP) Interest Check

Ah Aerth. In merry ol' Angland, King Ithwyrd lies old and feeble on his bed in Lyndon-Upon-Tems. Despite this all is well. The succession is assured and the land prospers. But something is coming that has not been seen since before the fall of the last dragon for it is... the season of the mist.

Moderator: Mint

Mint

Re: Play By Post (PBP) Interest Check

Post by Mint »

I'm going through the PBPs (current and otherwise) on this site gather the best ideas on mechanics for our campaign. I'm not too proud to recognize when someone has had a good idea (I hope). If you're reading this and have some advice that you think might help, please, feel free to post. There are a lot of people here with tons of experience in all kinds of gaming with minds far quicker and brighter than mine.

It's my intent to run a long campaign even should it get down to just one player. I will be here for that one player. I expect that people may leave (though I hope not) and that others may want to step up. I will always try to find room for you all even if I have to open up a separate thread for another group. That said I'm very encouraged so far with the response I've had. Thank you all again.
Mint

Post by Mint »

Metroknight wrote:I have a working idea but it needs confirmation from the GM about specific supplements being allowed.

Caneins race mentions ranger class but the ranger classes states only specific races that does not include Caneins. Would that mix of Caneins Ranger be allowed?
At this point I won't say yes but I also won't say no. Main reason is that this is still very "early days" in that we don't even have a thread yet and because I need to gauge from you all what sort of things you think you like and what things you think you don't. I say "think" because sometimes something we like or dislike is because how they were presented or run in the past and experience with it was...negative. I'm not ruling anything out right now so feel free to express yourselves. We are at the point right now where things that are negotiable are beginning to be negotiated. You all know my one real non-negotiable and even that, as you have seen, is not set in granite. Sandstone maybe. But not granite.
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

I'm not a fan of dogs... XD. Oh well.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Mint, can you give us the campaign background before we start character generation? I don't want to play a dwarf in a desert, or an elf underground.

PS If I do disappear for a few days, I'll likely know in advance and will accomodate it in game terms by getting very very drunk before I disappear. :) Hopefully it won't be while in the middle of combat!
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
black1blade

Post by black1blade »

"you see in front of you your conrades struck by a sudden bout of [insert character defect here]. He falls concious..." Actually that would be cool, we all have to have a really bad ailment that strikes when we leave the game :lol:
Mint

Post by Mint »

Woe wrote:Mint, can you give us the campaign background before we start character generation? I don't want to play a dwarf in a desert, or an elf underground.

PS If I do disappear for a few days, I'll likely know in advance and will accomodate it in game terms by getting very very drunk before I disappear. :) Hopefully it won't be while in the middle of combat!
Yes. I plan to do that RSN (that's sort of an inside joke from my days playing DragonRealms and GemStone IV - it means Real Soon Now which invariably meant anywhere from a couple of seasons to a few years away). Seriously though I plan to spend the rest of today and tonight coming up with exactly that plus a campaign title. I was kinda caught off guard by the overwhelming and quick response. I'm overjoyed. Totally. But I need a little bitsy bit of time to get the ball rolling. Like until tomorrow morning or earlier if I can. Deadlines. Love it. :D
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I will go ahead and call dibs on a cleric or druid (feeling like druid would be first preference if that supplement/option is available). I haven't done a character in a while so the gears are turning.

But, overall, I am cool to fill in whatever role is good for a balanced group.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Woe

Post by Woe »

Dang, that was my first or second choice! Longman's campaign has gotten me spoiled. Playing four characters in a ruleset that has three of the four main classes (F, MU, T). So I took a test and it told me to play a paladin.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Mint

Post by Mint »

Here's a tidbit to give you all something to work with on your ruminations. I said earlier that the campaign would be centered on one city and it's immediate environs.

To this I will add that the climate is temperate to cold and tends to be wet. For expediency the world tends to be northern European earthlike as far as flora and fauna go (because that's what I'm familiar with and because I tend to not like books that have to go into great detail describing everything because the world is so alien - I'd rather take the time and space on other things).

Politics. There is a good old fashioned monarchy in place with a well developed system of lords, ladies, gentry, and other such forms of a well entrenched hierarchical society. It's all anyone knows. By and large the people get by and don't think the ruling order is oppressing them.

Religion. The same. Very hierarchical and monolithic. People want the security of knowing that when they die they get to go to a better place and don't mind a few rituals and observing a few rules of moral conduct to make sure that happens.

Culture and the state of the technical art. Think pre-renaissance. No. The streets aren't full of mud and there aren't nasty piles of garbage everywhere. We have criminals in labor gangs to take care of that sort of thing thank you very much. Which brings me to

Law. This is a fairly lawful and uncorrupt city. There aren't gangs running loose causing mayhem. This doesn't mean that there isn't a guild or two that cater to those bent on following the...left-hand path. Those guilds however know a good thing when they have it and so there aren't any sloppy deaths the Guard has to go out and investigate and so forth. Not only that but there is only limited space in the dungeons and courts cost money so justice is of the quick and corporal variety.

Magic. Magic is common enough at low levels of power to be available for sale in the form of minor potions and such. Once you get to know the city you may even find one. At higher levels magic becomes very very rare indeed. Think of it as sort of like tech in our world today. You can buy a toaster nearly anywhere. You cannot by a particle collider anywhere out of the box and, unless you are a billionaire, you can't afford one anyway.

Expect the unexpected with regards to monsters.

I am open to you all making a character that is any race or class in the core book or supplements. Please be adult about your choice. Use common sense and realize that you are playing in a party. Do not. At present buy anything. I haven't firmed up the whole monetary system thing yet. More about that RSN. ;)

You'll be starting the campaign meeting up somewhere close to the city. You are young. You've just left home and are excited at being free at last to explore the wide world. You haven't had a chance to gain any cynicism yet or to get jaded. You aren't even sure you understand what those words mean. You wouldn't mind being educated however. More's the pity. I did warn you. Heh.

Alright. That's it for now. It turned into a bit more than a tidbit but I hope it's enough to get you all started. Have fun and let those wheels turn.
Mint

Post by Mint »

For those who may be wondering at the seeming utopianism of it all let me make a few things clear. This world is relatively young in regards to civilization and it is also relatively sparsely populated. This means two things. First. People haven't had the time to accumulate a catalogue of past grievances against each other. Second, and perhaps more importantly, the sparse population in relation to the tech and magic level means that there are plenty of resources for everyone. There is elbow room. If someone thinks thing aren't what they should be they pull up stakes and go elsewhere. And there is plenty of elsewhere to go to. Many of the ills that we face in today's society simply do not exist as a consequence of this. That's my excuse and I stand by it. Thank you. ;)

Now. Before you go rushing off muttering the dreaded word: boring! let me reassure you. Simply because humanity and the other sentient races in this world by and large get along just fine doesn't by any stretch of the imagination mean that there aren't forces out there that think this state of affairs isn't, to put it pedestrianly, ripe for change. There are. And they are evil. And they are coming (or have already come) to a city near you.