Chapter 1-2: snowblinder

SerGavin's forum for his play-by-post game.

Moderator: SerGavin

Irvius

Re: Chapter 1-2: snowblinder

Post by Irvius »

I don't think they're after the same mission than us. However I couldn't believe they're here by accident. Anyway, let's hope they don't interfere with us or cause troubles...
Yon chews his stew slowly, not listening to kardren people anymore. The Lady teaches to be not too much curious about things not on our way...
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

If nothing else is happening Reese will finish off her stew and then head upstairs to stow her stuff in her room. Then she'll head back downstairs to have some cheese if the tavern owner has any and perhaps one last glass of wine. Can't have one without the other. ;)
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Looking over at Simon Dear is that stutter of yours something that you've always had? Just asking since we're going to be traveling together for a while it seems. I'd like to know if it gets worse when you're excited or in combat. Her eyes twinkle a bit. Adrenaline does strange things to folks.

Turning to Yon I'm guessing you're a fighter like Simon here? You appear to be competent but, forgive me for saying so, a tad tense. Holy fighter perhaps? No offense intended.

She takes a look around the tavern and sips her wine....Hmm... I wonder if we're all that made it out of the original group that was contracted. If Hemett, Kiri and Aaron don't make it I think we should be able to split their share of the contract between us.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Simon smiles,"Y-y-yes I've always st-st-stuttered. I ha-ha-had a head in-n-njury when I was a ch-ch-child", He points to the scar on the side of his head, "It l-l-left me with a st-st-stutter and slight me-me-memory p-p-p-problems." He takes a bite of his stew, " It's n-n-nothing ma-ma-major, j-j-just small ga-ga-gaps every on-on-once in while, l-l-like th-th-this one t-t-time I was in a b-b-bar and th-th-then I was outside. I don't kn-kn-know w-w-what happened bu-but from the s-s-sound there was fight going on inside I g-g-guess th-th-the noise or someth-th-thing musta tri-triggered it. I d-d-dunno." He shrugs.

(OOC: my spell check hates me now :D )
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

You enjoy your drinks and stew, its not the best you've ever had but its warm and tastes of something which in itself is a blessing this far north. the fire dies down going from a cheery crackle to a few desperate flames hanging on to life. snow falls outside sometimes glinting, reflecting the light from inside and gradually people either file out or go to their rooms until all that's left is you and the hooded strangers in the corner of the tavern.

The barkeeper comes up to you looking quite tired, upon closer investigation he has bags under his eyes and looks quite gaunt most likely from the bad harvest last year. even so he smiles at you heartily and quietly informs you that he's going up to sleep and if you ant rooms it will have to be now.

(dice rolling) upon further further investigation you see that he is deliberately avoiding looking at the group in the corner and seems to be concealing nervousness towards them.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Simon smiles back at the barkeeper and places a Quadran on the counter, "I'll have a r-r-room p-p-please."
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Nightwulf wrote:Simon smiles back at the barkeeper and places a Quadran on the counter, "I'll have a r-r-room p-p-please."
Reese will reach over and cover the quadran with her hand. I've already paid for our rooms tonight correct barkeep? After he leaves she'll head behind the bar for a bottle of something cheap and highly flammable and return to the table and in a low whisper Yon, Simon I've got a distinctly bad feeling about something. My room has only a single bed but is comfortable enough for the three of us if we put two on the floor. I'll head up there now. Go to your rooms, grab your gear and all the spare blankets and come to mine. She give them the room number. The door will be unlocked so when the last one of you enters lock it behind you and we'll make pallets on the floor to sleep. Might not be the best sleeping arrangements but tis better than outside in the snow or waking up alone and dead yes?

She'll stand up and stretch. I'm off to bed gents. See you in the morning. With that said she'll go to her room and set up a sleeping space by the fire. She'll also take that bottle of whatever-it-is and lay it near at hand to be dashed into the fire place if someone tries to come in at night. Once her space is ready and she's set she'll lay her bow across her thighs with an arrow upon the string and wait. Eyes on the door.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Irvius

Post by Irvius »

Yon can't understand why Reese seems so concerned about a probable attack in the night and the necessity of sleeping in the same room. He also learned that women had somewhat a better insight of this kind of things. Better to be on his companions' side than arguing about that.
Simon, I don't share Reese's concerns, maybe she's worried by Kardren folk, I knew that kind of people, they stay by themselves following their businesses... However, I'm glad you're here, sharing a room only myself with a woman I just met is not something that the Lady would approve... And, I think it's clear, she'll keep the only good bed, leaving me and you sleeping on the floor!
Yon smiled at Simon, to show a small hint of a joke in what he said.
Then he climbed the stairs, and came in Reese's room as suggested.
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

true night falls. as the snow collects deep outside, wolves howl at the full moon and a small fire crackles in the grate of your small room. even so it is little above freezing. what glass there is in the small window is encased in an inch of ice. your'e breaths crystallises in front of you and you thank every god you ever heard of for the room and fire. Luckily deep in your blankets you are warm and extremely fatigued from the long and arduous journey behind you, Simon and Yon quickly and peacefully fall asleep in their makeshift beds while Reese watches, a silent sentinel in the night as one by one the small candles flicker and die, leaving only the glowing embers in front of the fireplace to dimly illuminate the room.

The bed Reese lies on is made of crudely fitted wood but piled high with warm furs mostly cattle or wild animal hides such as elk or fox but a large wolf skin warm and soft lines the bottom underneath the furs. the door Reese watches is heavy northern oak pine, an oddly dark hardwood found only in climes as northerly as these, it is said that ice freezes in the xylem every night and melts in the day, compacting the wood making it denser and more sturdy, giving a pine the properties and colouration of more southerly tree species, it is a dark wooden brown, nearly black and smooth, bolted with heavy iron supports attached to heavy hinges that frame two large brackets, across which lies a heavy beam of the same material. it is set into a wall of pale granite known by Reese to have been imported north from a quarry in north west Raccoa due to work like quarrying being incredibly difficult this far north due to the tools being more brittle due to the cold. the hinges are set into the wall via heavy iron bolts possibly set into the granite by a reverse threading method used by most smiths using pulleys and horse power.

Reese estimates the walls of the room to be about 2' thick and lined with furs and animal hides on the inside. a small rectangular window is set into the wall about a metre above the bed. the room is quite large for tavern board and easily houses three although Simon and Yons bedding is considerably less comfortable than Reese's

The room is filled with the heavy pungent smell of raw animal hides filling the nostrils and filling the air as much to almost have a tangible physical presence in the room and smoke from the fire and candles drifts lazily through the cold air intermingling with the smell of the hides and creating a sharp but not unpleasant aroma.

The only sounds to be heard are the gentle crackling of the dying embers in the fireplace and the slight stuttering snores of simon which to Reese sound very peculiar and slightly amusing.

As her watch extends late into the small hours of the morning, fatigue and the encroach of sleep eventually overcome her and Reese falls into a deep and fulfilling sleep.
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

You are awoken by a sudden and unnervingly loud noise emanating from elsewhere in the tavern. looking outside through the window at the gently lit freshly fallen snow you realise to your great chagrin that it is now late morning and all three of you slept well beyond the time you intended to. examining the visage outside closely you notice heavy footprints stomped into the snow in an irregular pattern just underneath your window barely in view, as if an unknown but large person had been pacing around for hours outside. unnerved by this you investigate the door and to your relief it had not been touched as evidenced by the thin film of ice sealing the beam to the brackets.

You listen intently at the door but hear nothing. all is quiet... to quiet. especially for a tavern as busy as this one had been the night before. the connotations of this race through each of your minds. something suspicious is afoot.