Chapter 1-2: snowblinder

SerGavin's forum for his play-by-post game.

Moderator: SerGavin

SerGavin

Chapter 1-2: snowblinder

Post by SerGavin »

A fresh layer of snow coats the twilit forest. Pines frosted white are outlined by the setting sun and icicles like deadly daggers cling to their branches. the cold permeates everything every surface covered in hoar frost brittle and white. A single plume of smoke rises in the distance as snowflakes, like tiny patterned feathers, gently twirl down enveloping the ground in a deadly embrace. And eagle cries overhead as, outlined against the snow, a train of figure trudges on along the ground. It is two cold to talk, even breathing scrapes the lungs with icy daggers so they continue on in monotony. They leave deep impressions in the snow a trail leading back, miles and miles, slowly but surely disappearing under the constant silent onslaught of the snow.

Clouds of breath rhythmically form around the mouths of the figures, trailing back behind them as the winds pick up and steal it from them vanishing toward the sunset. the travellers are weary but press on knowing that to stop now is to die alone and forgotten in the tundra, their body soon to be buried under a soft blanket of snow, taking them, forever.

Eventually, the source of the trail is revealed, a small village, no more than twenty houses. Houses made with stone and wood, as thatch would freeze over and stone will not warp. The smoke lazily curls up around a tall stone chimney, the tallest structure in the settlement. shoddily shored up with metal. now that they look closer the whole village is built badly, the stones ill fitting and the wood roughly joined. A flag may once have fluttered atop the chimney but now sits still, frozen in a still visage. A golden bull outlined against a red field. Obviously to all present as the symbol of Racoa.

Wearily and with much satisfaction the travellers file into the tavern, A leaning assortment of wooden beams as stone buttresses, patchwork repairs that suggest that the cold is not the only enemy faced by the locals. it is nevertheless warm and inviting.

(You have all been contracted to scout out a rumoured passage deep in the mountains. The reward for successfully finding and clearing the pass is 500 crowns each. please describe your characters entering the tavern.)
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Jandolar

Re: Chapter 1-2: snowblinder

Post by Jandolar »

Reese enters and quickly heads to the fireplace. She pulls off her traveling cloak and lays it upon the stones to dry. Uncoiling her long hair from around her neck she undoes the braid and finger combs it into soft plaits and lets the heat dry it. She orders a deep strong ale and a hefty portion of the evenings fare. Typical stature for a halfling she is small and slight. She carries an assortment of weapons on her, a sword or two and a bow. Light armor and small weapons make her appear to be a scout or thief.

Laying a coin upon the the table worth much more that the meal costs she says Keep topping off my glass and my bowl. Oh and I'd like to know the cost of a room for the evening if you have any.

I'm still confused about the monetary thing here.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Irvius

Post by Irvius »

The Lady just granted us another safe trip in this cold winter!
Yon put all his heavy gear on the floor next to his chair without making a sound, then it started to pull off his coat and adapt to the warmer place.
He asked for a meal, without ale.
The Lady doesn't want everyone of us to drink something that will obscure our views. Still, don't you think I don't appreciate beers or liquors, just leave them for times when the day after will not be one of duty.
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

The door to the inn opens and in walks a young man. He is a little over five feet tall, his short blond hair is slightly damp from the snow, he looks about the inn and moves over to the open fire place to warm his hands. With a sigh turns away from the warm fire and takes a seat at the bar. He waves over at the bartender, "S-s-sir?, I wo-would like t-to have s-s-some ale. If yo-you wouldn't mi-mi-mind.", He places one Quadran on the counter, "And m-m-maybe some s-s-stew if you ha-ha-have it.", He adds he looks over at the Halfling beside him,"H-h-hello, my n-n-name is Si-Si-Simon.", he says cheerfully.
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Looking to the folks that have seated next to her. Yon, Simon. I'm glad you made the trek. Damnable cold out there. Simon sweety you need something warm in your system or your stutter will strike you mute. She laughs merrily so that Simon understands that there is no malice in her comment only friendly banter.

She pulls her bow from behind her and begins the process of checking the waxed coating on the string. Can't have this little gem fail me when I need her. Cold is hell on a bowstring.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

The barkeeper, a large cheery man, saunters over to each of you holding in one hand a platter laden with many various alcoholic drinks such as mead and warm ale. he lays a mug next to Reese and simon and says "the meals will be here shortly but they may take a bit longer than usual as we are very busy tonight" he sidles closer to Reese and merrily declares that the money you paid him for the meal is more than enough to cover for you and your friends for board, if we keep getting new arrivals some of you may have to sleep in the stables!" with that he disappears off into the kitchen.

looking around you you see that the tavern is indeed very full which you note is highly unusual as it is quite rare for anyone to venture this far north. some of the accents you here are quite foreign and unrecognisable although to yon it seems almost familiar.most of the men you arrived with are drinking by the fire and there are two other large groups. one of sombrely dressed foreigners who you notice are not drinking and even indoors are wearing heavy cloaks. the other consists of what you would assume to be village folk most of whom are already quite drunk.
Irvius

Post by Irvius »

I'd never expected so much folks here, inside a small tavern in a far village in the north. Besides, there are no business around here, no farms or merchants, maybe a mine? What do you think about?
Yon talked to his companions, making sure not to use so much a loud voice, then tried to listen carefully to people speaking the familiar language, trying to catch their words.
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Simon smiled, "Yeah, Th-th-the co-co-cold d-does m-m-make it wo-wo-worse d-don't it." He nods at the Bartender when the ale is brought. He takes the mug and sips he sighs as the liquid warms him up, "N-now all I n-n-need is th-that st-stew."
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

I agree. There are a lot of people out in this kind of cold. I wonder what they are doing? Meh... just as long as they don't try to ruin our contract or get in the way. Reese will dig into her stew as soon as Yon and Simon have been served as well. In the interim she'll enjoy her warmed ale.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

you enjoy your drink and the food arrives soon afterwards. Yon somehow manages to identify the accents of the odd looking men, by his estimate they are from the far east of kardren, highly unusual to say the least considering that the two country's are currently at war.

As he hands out the food the bartender expresses similar concerns and warns you not to trust them as he's never seen kardren folk this far north in Raccoa before.