The Signal (Episode 3)

Formerly the play-by-post forum for my TSGS Space Force game, now the private forum for development of the new Space Force Science Fiction RPG game. I've retained the entirety of the original game threads here, to be mined for possible content. See the introductory post for more information.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

The Signal (Episode 3)

Post by Solomoriah »

Starring
Tree Ant as Lieutenant Commander James Steele
Kriegswolf as Lieutenant Nathan Driscoll
Woe as Doctor Amanda Grimm
Hywaywolf as Lieutenant Lando Scott
Mint as Samantha Frisk
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Episode 3: A Routine Survey

Post by Solomoriah »

Steele was happy to finally be done with all the debriefings and meetings. He checked his uniform in the mirror... the gold leaves on his lapels were still a little unfamiliar, and they made him smile.

He was pleased to see Doctor Grimm and Lieutenant Scott in the briefing room; he had not yet had the opportunity to meet his new crewmembers, though of course he had reviewed their service records. He hoped they would arrive before the Commodore, so he could at least say hello to them before the briefing started.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Commander Steele!" Amanda says, both smiling and saluting (not very seriously, but still in respect). "Congratulations!" She chuckles. "It's going to be hard for me to not call you XO, sir. Very glad to hear you're commanding the Pegasus."
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Kriegswolf

Post by Kriegswolf »

Nathan moves quickly through the station corridors as he makes his way toward the briefing room. He was a little bit later than he had planned, but there was nothing to do about that now. Hopefully no one will notice.

At the entrance he pauses for a moment to straighten his uniform before opening the door. He takes a moment to look over the room before making his way toward the man with the Commanders insignia. Stopping in front of him he salutes sharply and says,

"Lt. Nathan Driscoll, sir, reporting as ordered."
Tree Ant

Post by Tree Ant »

Woe wrote:"Commander Steele!" Amanda says, both smiling and saluting (not very seriously, but still in respect). "Congratulations!" She chuckles. "It's going to be hard for me to not call you XO, sir. Very glad to hear you're commanding the Pegasus."
James returns the salute to Amanda and smiles as he sees her,

"Welcome back Doctor Grimm. It is good to have you on board again. I trust your leave was relaxing and you are recovering well?"
Kriegswolf wrote: "Lt. Nathan Driscoll, sir, reporting as ordered."
James looks over to Nathan,

"Welcome Lieutenant. It will be good to have your piloting skills. You can drop the formalities, they matter little out in the void. The only thing that counts is completing the mission and keeping your companions alive. You will find that the scouting force is more informal than most other military organizations."

To all once they have arrived,

"Well, the Commodore should be here any moment to give us the briefing."

He then looks between the new members, "do either of you have any questions before we begin?"
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Forgot to mention... the discovery and return of Skylark is public knowledge, but the involvement of the Soviet Union is secret. The new characters are aware of it, as they have clearance and need-to-know.
Tree Ant

Post by Tree Ant »

"Doctor Finn has returned to Vulcan's forge. And as for Commander Castle, he is being reassigned. Any more information about him is classified."
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"Good morning," said Commodore Becker a bit gruffly, surprising everyone. "Please take your seats, and we will begin."

As soon as the crew of the Pegasus was seated, the Commodore continued. "A week ago, the Dauntless returned from an extended survey of Iota Persei four, a planet classified Earthlike, Incompatible Life. Near the end of their scheduled survey, they detected a weak radio signal. At first they assumed it was coming from the planet, but eventually they determined the signal was coming from Gliese 67, a G1V star 12.86 light years away. That is, of course, outside their jump range, and as they were nearing the end of their survey time they didn't have supplies to take the long way around.

"You're going out there to check it out. We have absolutely no idea what might be there... the star has never been surveyed, though it was on the list for early next year. The scientist aboard Dauntless, Elmer Hause, is a biologist; his knowledge of communication is somewhat limited. This is why we've requested your presence on this mission, Miss Jordan. Your knowledge and experience, I'm told, may give us an edge in decoding the signals.

"And no, before you ask, they are nothing like the Martian signals that led us to Vulcan's Forge. I've listened to the recordings, and if you didn't tell me it was a signal, I wouldn't believe it. All relevant materials have been copied and are aboard Pegasus waiting for you.

"Also, you may have noticed the absence of your scientist. She's been delayed, due to another problem with the engine aboard the number one orbital shuttle. Her name is Samantha Frisk, and I'm told she's a professor from Oxford and she's gifted in general sciences. Headquarters couldn't decide what you needed, so they sent her. It's her first time out, so go easy on her, will you?

"Now, some unrelated information. First of all, Commander, you may have heard some of the other Captains talking about leaving the far end of a wormhole under thrust to avoid tumbling. This is not an approved procedure. Space Force Command is still evaluating it, and they have indicated concerns over possible safety issues. I'd better not see an mention of this maneuver in your logs." Steele was certain he saw the slightest smile in the Commodore's eyes, but then it was gone. "Second, Lieutenant Scott. The research payloads you, ah, consumed have been restocked, as have the other supplies. Do yourself a favor and try not to put any more scorchmarks on my ship. Understood? Good. Lastly, as a means of researching the mistargeting issue you encountered, we are now requiring the Captain and First Officer to verify and log all heading data for every jump. Some of the research team members think you are being sloppy, but I don't believe it."

Turning to his assistant, he said, "Sergeant, please pass out the flight plans to the bridge officers. Gentlemen, I'm not going down the list the way we did before... you're bright boys, you can figure it out."

He gave Steele and Driscoll time to review the flight plans. Groombridge 34, Eta Cas, Gliese 51, Iota Persei, and then Gliese 67. That was when Steele noticed that Gliese 67 was a binary system... one G2V, one G1V star. Life-bearing planets around stars in binary systems were so far rare, not counting Alpha Centauri of course.

"If you have any questions, now is the time to ask them," said the Commodore at last.
Tree Ant

Post by Tree Ant »

Solomoriah wrote:
"Now, some unrelated information. First of all, Commander, you may have heard some of the other Captains talking about leaving the far end of a wormhole under thrust to avoid tumbling. This is not an approved procedure. Space Force Command is still evaluating it, and they have indicated concerns over possible safety issues. I'd better not see an mention of this maneuver in your logs. ... Lastly, as a means of researching the mistargeting issue you encountered, we are now requiring the Captain and First Officer to verify and log all heading data for every jump. Some of the research team members think you are being sloppy, but I don't believe it."
"I assure you Commodore, you will find no mention of that maneuver in the logs, and we will diligently log all jump data."

"If I may, I have one request Commodore." He pauses and waits for the response from the commanding officer.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Tree Ant wrote:"I assure you Commodore, you will find no mention of that maneuver in the logs, and we will diligently log all jump data."
"Good man," he replied, smiling.
Tree Ant wrote:"If I may, I have one request Commodore." He pauses and waits for the response from the commanding officer.
"Yes?"