The Green Woman of the Erin

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: The Green Woman of the Erin

Post by Longman »

Going on a hike? This is Hag Rock. No one ever comes here! You idiots! The forest is haunted! Go away! Climb back down and go back west, and don't come back here! Don't be here at nightfall. The spirits will come!

(Your reaction roll was a boob. You can't tell if she is lying about any of this.)
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Not a hike, an expedition." Replies Anna, trying not to look affronted. "I think I saw something, a yellow and green.splotchy creature. Is that one of them?"

"What happens with the spirits. We've been here a few nights and nothing has happened yet. "
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

An expedition? Why? What are you looking for out here? There's nothing here except ghosts in the trees. Now go! Go away!

Anna's next move is critical. The woman may be persuaded to give up more information or she may flip out and attack Anna. She seems to be in two minds. It's a CHA roll - Anna needs a number of about 15 to succeed - below 5 would be very bad.

Or she could just climb down.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Let's go for stalling.

"Please... can I just rest my hands and legs a bit before heading back down? Just five minutes, and I promise I won't do anything sudden or threatening."
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Hmmmm. Okay. Tell me more about these others while you are there. Then you can go.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Thanks.". Anna will.enter, but not get too close. She will stretch her hands and legs a bit. Describe the room.please?

"We are rangers. Well... The rest are. I'm not. The leader and I... Ugh, that is complicated." She starts over. "They are all rangers from Red Oak, except for the one dwarf who is probably an honorary ranger if he wanted to be. We are mapping the Erin up to the source. We weren't originally going to stay this long here, being Hag Rock and all, but first I noticed the berries missing and then the tracks, and the rangers were like dogs with a scent. We will probably leave later today, once I return."
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

You've jumped the gun here. The woman was offering for you to wait on the cliff edge, not climb into the room. You are still on the cliff. Those below can see you.

At the mention of rangers, she freaks out! She peeks her head out and sees the rangers and the dwarf on the rocks below.

You've come for me haven't you. You've come to arrest me! I tell you I didn't do it! He died in his sleep! I'm not a witch!

Nonetheless she does not attack Anna, who has no idea what she is talking about.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Oops. Replace 'cave' with 'ledge' then. I just want her to be safe from falling.

"What? Who? I don't know what you're talking about, and I definitely didn't come to kill you. Talin didn't either, and he's in charge down here. He's my... (sigh). My whatever. I'll tell you everything I know about this trip. I'm not going anywhere with my life anyway.

I'm a barmaid at the Inn of Forloneliness. Or I was. It's in Red Oak. I guess I haven't been at work since, forever I guess. It's pretty boring in Red Oak. Have you been there? Nothing ever happens. So along comes this boy, Talin, and immediately all of the girls are all over him. Me too, I guess. At least at first. But I found him with Gertrude -- she's the innkeeper's daughter, and not much to look at -- and decided he wasn't worth it and moved on. Or not. I dunno.

Things weren't great at home. My da lost his job an' his arm in a logging accident, and just drinks all day. He doesn't beat us, but he's not too nice to us anymore. Fortunately, he's usually pass'd out so it don't mean much either way now.

After a particularly bad row with da, Talin comes and says he wants me to join him on a trip east, to explore the Swell. So I says yes 'cuz why not? Beats serving drunks all day. Other drunks, I mean. Not da. But I wish he wouldn't drink so much. I think Talin sneaks him money when I'm not looking, to help out with the kids and all, but I wish he wouldn't. Da just buys more rotgut and my ma just ends up working harder. But I'm out here hoping to find something that gets them out of that rut, and makes da happy again. So I joins up with him and the dwarf and a few others to see if I can get lucky or get rich or find something so we can move to Brant and have a proper life.

That was about when the snows melted last. So we goes up along the Swell and explore a lot. It was kinda dangerous, with goblins and other weirder creatures. Then one of the dwarves died -- I think his name was James or Bruce I or something like that -- and it all got real. But Talin... he never killed anything that didn't attack him first, and spared a few that did. Like when some weird carpet monster that looked like a door tried to kill me, he spared it and then gave it food like he promised." She shudders at the memory, then takes a break and keeps going. "And now we're doing the same with the Erin -- making a map and seeing where it goes. He wouldn't come all this way north just to kill you. It's not like him. And he definitely wouldn't have sent me up if he knew you were here. He woulda been all protective and tried to climb up himself, and he's a terrible climber.

My name's Anna, by the way. Now that I've dumped my whole backstory on you, I guess you should know my name too."
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

For the record, James was a human. No dwarf has dies thus far.

Well, that sounds like the most peculiar load of old rubbish I ever heard, But I believe now, that you did not come to find me. Why you'd be wanting to explore up this haunted river is anyone's guess. I would advise against it, girl. Do not let this man lead you astray.

She tells you that she has heard of the hag - this was the precise reason she came to Hag Rock, because she thought no one would ever come looking here.

She also tells you that she has never actually seen the hag, but says there are shadow creatures that fly above the treetops, further east along the Erin, and she never goes far in that direction. She says they look like large birds, but "raggedy, and made of darkness". They come most at dawn and dusk, and she thinks they are active at night too, but she cannot see them at that time.

When you have recovered, she asks for you to climb back down the rope you have rigged up, and remove all the spikes you have left. You do not know what she plans to do when you are gone. She doesn't tell you her name.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Before she heads back down, Anna will thank the old lady for her time and ask whether she can provide anything, either from the group or from Red Oak if they come this way again. Rope, some fresh bread, that sort of thing.

Oops on the James racial thing. I guess I'm race-blind as well as name-blind!

Does the old lady ever volunteer more about "that man" that she was talking about, who was dead?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot