The Green Woman of the Erin

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Woe

Re: The Green Woman of the Erin

Post by Woe »

"Funny, I've 'eard dat yer magick ends wen ye die, and da trees git back to normal." lies Kilian as he starts loading his crossbow.

Talin holds his fire, instead taking the time to aim better at the hag. "He's right. You should be bartering for your life, not ours. What's in it for us, to let you live?"
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Son of Greyforge, the wild tree spirits were here long before I was. Indeed, I am the only thing that has been keeping them from ravaging this forest entirely, for these last three hundred years. Killing me will not dispel them, whatever you might have heard.

What's in it for you? That I should let you leave. Just take your axe and destroy just one of these runes before me, and one within either of the outer circles, then I will let you escape. You have my word on that, and a cailleach's word is bond. I have sworn it to you now, and all my sisters will know of it.

(Clearly, no one in the room has any real knowledge about hags. You don't know if any of that is true or not. There are several folk tales in which a hag is tricked into making a promise and must stick to it afterwards, but you don't know if that means anything).
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Are ye daft, vixen? If ye dinnae kill us, ye'd have ye coven do et. Or ye'd get da nisha ta do et. We'd be ded befur the full moon, one way or anudder. And wot 'orrors wuld ye be inflicting on da settlers out in da westlands?" Kilian finishes fiddling with his crossbow and brings it up to shoot.

Talin replies more calmly (but also with his arrow pointed right at her), "Why are you imprisoned here? What did you do?"
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

She seems taken aback, just for a second.

Nisha? I have nothing to do with the lycanthropes! It was not the doing of my kind that they became infected with the lunar sickness. It was foolish wizards of the human race who unlocked that evil power. Whatever trouble you may have had with the nisha, it was nothing to do with myself or my sisters.

I will be inflicting no horrors upon anyone provided that they keep away from my land. The land along the river, between the split rock and the mountains, is mine. I took it by right, from the goblins, and I shall keep it.

My sisters have imprisoned me, over an argument regarding a young man who has taken our fancy, in the east across the mountains. I saw him first and said that iI would lie with him, wearing my current form. My sisters decided to stop me. That is our way...
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Let me get this right." says Anna. "You are promising us safe passage from you and your sisters, the same ones who locked you up. Why should we believe you have any sway over their behavior?"

"Bah." says Kilian (before the hag can respond). "She's a shapeshifter. Let's jus' axe 'er and den deal with dem trees. I bet fire wud werk gud."

Go! :)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

What does go mean? Are you attacking her?

With the axe?
Woe

Post by Woe »

Longman wrote:What does go mean? Are you attacking her?

With the axe?
I meant, your turn to say something. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Oh. I thought you were opening fire! :D

The hag turns to Anna:

How disappointing, young dewin! I would have expected more insight, from one of your talents!

I did not say my sisters would give you safe passage! I said that to break my word to you would now be impossible, for my sisters would know that my vow has been spoken, and I am bound to them in all things, for we three are one!

But if they were to find you here, they would certainly kill you. I would have no sway over that at all!

As I said, they do come by to check on me every so often, so I would not tarry too long with your decision.

Simply break these runes here upon the floor and i will let you pass free.

You have no idea if any of that is true. She is almost impossible to read.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Dewin?" asks Talin.

"Don't lissen ta 'er words, boy. She's a damn shapeshift'r."

[twang] Kilian fires. Nobody else does. Talin is going to try to talk his way out more, but I'm currently out of ideas so why not stir things up som?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Kilian gets a +4 for having a bead on the woman, but the shot is still a miss. She moves remarkably fast to dodge the quarrel, and then smiles.

Would you care to fire again, son of Greyforge? I see your ammunition is limited.

(Keep track of arrows and other supplies very closely here, please).

Speaking of Greyforge - - I heard it fell to the goblins! Goodness, how embarrassing. The dwarves of today are certainly nothing on their ancestors.