The Cat Man of Brant

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: The Cat Man of Brant

Post by Longman »

Sewers - none known here. It's medieval. Street ditches, or none at aall and everything is done by night-cart. The place stinks.

Bruce doesn't know this area well. You would have to move through the back alleys trying to find the back door, looking for it, and you may be seen by guards. If you are prepared to do that, go ahead. But you can't guarantee a safe hidden route to the back door.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Just to be clear, this area isn't forbidden or highly awkward for the pair to be in? I understand it has higher patrols, is a somewhat fancy area, but it's not like a kangaroo walking down Fifth Ave is it?

Assuming it's acceptable/not too unusual to proceed, they'll just walk down in plain sight.

If accosted, role play! If it's a guard patrol, they'll be honest. They're looking for Master Tobin and heard he lives in this borough. The shop was closed earlier so they decided to try here.

If it's catgirl, roll for initiative!
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

It's like a Mongolian nun and her bodyguard walking down Fifth Avenue IN THE POURING RAIN, while no one else is around, and there are police about because of a spate of recent murders, which some of the guards may realise were connected somehow to Mongolia.

So, you may be kinda noticeable, because of the almost total absence of any other civilians walking the streets right now. But no, the area is not forbidden or illegal to be in.

If you are up for that, proceed.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Hmm... NYPD is pretty smart. They'd probably see through a masquerade. Ergo, let's try the honest approach. NYPD never falls for that one!

Without being sneaky, they'll approach the area. In fact, they'll walk up to one of the guardsmen (ideally a new one, hopefully get a helpful one) and ask for directions to Master Tobin's house. They've already tried his store and he wasn't there, but the apprentice said his house could be found here. If any of the guards mention that this area is unsafe, Freya will get her eyes all big and round and say, "Yeah I know! A panther girl attacked us earlier by the chapel! I thought Brant would be safer than the rural areas."

If the guards ask them to leave though, they will. Freya isn't very sneaky in town, and Bruce is not sneaky period.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

You approach a guard, and the reaction is very good.

They say that the cat-man is thought to be responsible for killing Tobin, which was his first attack. That occurred on or around July 14, which was a few days after you sold the gems.

The next attack occurred in the square, on August 11, a full moon, and several witnesses saw a large cat-man ripping apart a lone traveller.

The text attack was on September 10, in a different area of town, and there were no witnesses to the attack but someone did see a very large cat running from the area. It was also on or close to a full moon.

There's plenty of talk about lycanthropes, which is an old belief about things that used to happen closer to Boldenwald but has never been known in Brant before.

They are principally here to guard Tobin's house, as the second attack occurred very close to it and it was thought Tobin might still be involved in some way. He is known to have purchased some gems from some elvish travelers, which don't seem to be in his house.

They already know your story about the panther-lady attacking some people. It is believed that the cat-man may have turned one of his victims into a creature like himself.

The guard you are talking to is pretty young - that's why he's been asked to stand around on a rainy day. I would advise against trying this sort of thing again, because the watchmen are going to work out your involvement sooner or later.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Yeah, that was a combination of "Hail Mary" and "I have no other ideas." It was a much better outcome than I expected.

Today's the 26th if I got it right. If I understand the lunar cycle, the next full moon would be about two weeks away. Lots of time to... figure out something to do. (sigh) If only Tiana wasn't banned from the university (though I expect that would mean this whole story arc wouldn't be happening either).

I want to get Tiana with Ember and I want to solve the lycanthrope case. I don't have good ideas for either.

Sorry for whinging out loud. :)

Did the guard mention who the other victims were? Freya won't ask. I'm just wondering if it was mentioned.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

No, he didn't offer that information.

Another thing happens as you are leaving. As soon as you have left the area, a cloaked woman comes up behind you. At first you are on guard, fearing it might be another attack, but the woman reveals her face and she is an elf. She is one of Rillow's assistants and her name is Alicia.

'I was hoping you'd come here!' she said. 'Let's go somewhere we can talk!'

Woe

Post by Woe »

Does Freya trust Alicia? I assume so.

"Golden Crown, Oval Room. Assume you're followed." whispers Freya, in Elvish. Louder, she says, "Excuse me ma'am. I didn't see you there. Good evening to you." They'll head back to the inn and once there, split up. Bruce will watch the door/common room for Alicia to appear and Freya will go let Tiana know about the day while she waits. When Alicia arrives, hopefully Freya will have had time to debrief Tiana and Bruce can nonchalantly bring up the rear.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

No one gets followed and nothing bad happens so you are now all in a room with Rillow's assistant at the end of the day.

I'm glad i was able to find you. Master Sun and his people have ordered the routes into the elvish section of the university to be monitored for all comings and goings. And they will not let my mistress leave her rooms! They say it is for her own protection but I'm quite sure it is because they do not want her meeting with you or meddling with Boldenwald affairs any longer. They are even saying that the mainland is no place for Moon Elves and we are all to be sent back to the isles!

She has been unable to leave, but myself and my friend Lucilla have not. We have been undertaking our own investigations in the city and we believe that the cat-creature, or perhaps more than one of these, are hiding out in some grain warehouses on the Lower Canal.

Would the three of you accompany me to that place? We can go this evening?
Woe

Post by Woe »

What do I know of Alicia? Is she a novice or an archmage? Going a few rounds with a few of those creatures sounds painful.

"Alicia, oh I'm so glad to see a friendly face here. First there was Master Sun's news, then the panther attack on Freya, and this is getting too rough even for a human settlement. I can't help but think, how can we put this to right?"

Freya will tell Alicia about the panther attack earlier, confirming "more than one" beast exists. Also, Tiana will probe whether Ember would be willing to 'disappear' from the university if it could be arranged.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot