The Cat Man of Brant

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: The Cat Man of Brant

Post by Longman »

"Tobin...I'm afraid you are mistaken on two counts, ma'am. First of all, he was no master jeweler, but a trader in fine goods. And second, he is not here, having been missing these last three months. I am his apprentice and I have taken over running the business along with his son. We were not intending to open today, but seeing as you are here, is there anything I can help you with?""

"Oh, and on the matter of fixing the leak...that would be most kind of you, let me fetch you a ladder."

Freya's charm job has worked. Unfortunately, Bruce knows nothing about leaks, but he can give it a try just like anyone could, I suppose.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"He's missing? Oh no. I heard he had a silver brooch that my employer could be interested in. I've heard that Brandt was a safe town. Is that not true anymore? Was he kidnapped during the day?" Her eyes go slightly wide, and she looks nervously at the door.

:)

Up to Bruce whether he wants to go look at the roof or if he wants to stay here and protect the frail wee elf. Freya is just fishing for information until she gets a nibble, but she is interested in shopping a bit too. The brooch is for Tiana, and maybe a reddish copper one for Anna.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

To be honest, Miss Elf, I do not know what happened to my former master. He simply did not come to work one day. I know he was most pre-occupied at the time, with some gemstones that had been sold to him by a group of travelers. We think he may have gone elsewhere to find out more about them, for he said there was something unusual about them, a strange flaw inside each one. But he told no one about where he was going.

The city is indeed, safe, but I would not move about at night time, and in the smaller alleys. We do have silver brooches in good number. Would you like to look at a few?

Bruce takes a look at the roof. He thinks he can fix it - he'll need to actually get up there, though.
Woe

Post by Woe »

(going up there is up to Bruce; whether he scouts around up there or fixes the roof or steals the secret plans of what is going on)

"Why yes, please. Do you have anything in the shape of a crescent moon?" (studiously looking at the offered jewelry). "I can't stop thinking about those gems you mentioned, but I don't know why. They sound like they could be quite valuable. Have you set any into the pieces here?"
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

No, I'm afraid the gems all went missing at the same time he did. He took them home, you see. And then he never came back to work.

Indeed, I do have some pieces in the crescent moon design. They are from the far south. in Mo, where the people do not worship the One True God. They are nothing like an elvish design.

(The silver pieces he shows you are not that great. Tiana would probably hate them.)

Meanwhile, Bruce asks for access to the roof, and is granted it.But he'll have to wait til it stops raining, otherwise he won't be able to do much at all. You want to wait for that?
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Hm. Interesting pieces, they are. Do you have anything with more filigree? These pieces lack... flair. I'm quite sure they're exquisite but not quite what I'd be looking for."

Maybe Bruce can size up the work and give a recommendation for material and DIY steps to patch up once the weather improves, to save them a few coins? He can cite the weather and ask whether they want him to arrange for a supply delivery.

Darn! How to ask "where does Master Tobin live?" without drawing suspicion.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

You already know where he lives.

The human trader to whom you sold the gems was called Mr Tobin. You know the location of his store, and also of his house, which is on a square called Walleye. Several attacks have occurred near Walleye and the place is supposedly well guarded.

So there's no need for you to ask anything further. Do you go to Walleye? Bruce can make recommendations, but if he wants to be sure held have to get up there.
Woe

Post by Woe »

I'm ok if Bruce goes up there. He might see something interesting, and Freya is always fine window shopping. Assuming nothing interesting happens though, Freya will thank the apprentice but not buy anything, then head to Walleye.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Bruce doesn't want to wait til it stops raining, so off you go.

You get to Walleye Square. There are about seven entrances, leading here, as it is pretty big. You make a temporary approach down a side street, and you can't see any watchmen at the end of it, but you have heard that here will be some stationed in the square itself.

Do you proceed into the square via the side street, one of the main roads, or some other means you can think of?

Bear in mind there are hardly any people around so you will be pretty noticeable today.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Ideally proceed to the back of Master Tobin's house and pop the back door; but at a minimum they will use the side streets. Freya has an idea which she whispers to Bruce before they enter the square, but hopefully they won't need it.

I'm assuming no sewer passages known to the dwarf, right?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot