The Cat Man of Brant

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: The Cat Man of Brant

Post by Longman »

I don't know if you are trying to play the trader, or if you have just forgotten...

"I'm not going to sell you my spectacles! The letter asks if I will give you my help in identifying certain items for you. Which I am prepared to do, but I am certainly not interested in purchasing any such magic, if it is from the old human wizards."

(Do you show her any items?)
Woe

Post by Woe »

No, that's an honest misunderstanding. Tiana always wanted to buy the spectacles. Tycho didn't realize that, I guess.

Tiana looks surprised. "Tycho..." she starts, then stops. She starts again, with an apology. "Sorry Ebba, I fear there has been some misunderstanding. I was under the belief they were for sale, hence the offer. I do not know what Tycho wrote in the letter. If the spectacles are not for sale then I would cherish your assistance in learning more about these items."

And yes, we will start small then work up to the bigger stuff: the ring, the inscription tools, and the goggles. Only after a better understanding of the spectacles and Ebba will Tiana want to try the more dastardly human magic like the staff and robes.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Very well. Let's take a look at this ring. I can tell you straight away it is human made, containing the arcane magic. I can see the inscriptions on it. It is....for defence. For the sort of person too weak to wear armor, but given to getting into fights anyway.

(Ring of Prot +2, used by Freya).

Now the goggles. Hmmmm....tricky. I'd say they are for detecting something, a type of creature perhaps...but I cannot tell you further. My hunch is that whoever made these was worried about being snuck up on...

The tools..I cannot tell you more about these at all, only that they are not very magical.

All you can really see is her looking through her specs at the items for about minute each item. She doesn't tell you how they (the spectacles) work.

Do you want to keep going with other items in your stash?

(Hint - she just rolled quite badly identifying stuff. With other items you may have more luck).
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Wow, those are amazing!" bursts out Freya.

Tiana agrees. "You have an amazing artifact there, Ebba. I can understand why you do not wish to part with it." She looks around the room, then back at Ebba. "We have more in our carriage that we'd like you to look at. Shall I have it pull up or would it be best for you to walk to our inn? We are staying at the Inn of Green Retreat."

OOC: Elvish grammar. It's so hard to get right!
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Ebba would prefer it if you came to her with items rather than going out. She does not normally take the identifying specs outside.

It is evening, but you could still have some items reviewed this evening if you went straight back and got them.

Are you showing her the mirror?
Woe

Post by Woe »

Since it's still evening, Freya will head back to the inn to see if Denys is willing (and sober) to drive the coach to Ebba's house. They'll show /everything/ but I'll order it in case we run out of time tonight: staff, robes, the helmets (3), the other inscription tools (I guess I had two; up to you whether her prior attempt covered one or both), the chest of spell books and quills and the unopened and forgotten felt case, anything I forgot to mention. There's a good chance that Tiana will want to leave after showing Ebba this, so Denys... be prepared for a quick getaway north, back to Brant (and I know north is the wrong direction).

They will not show the mirror. The dwarf and elf can ferry things to and from the coach. Since this all can conceivably fit inside the coach, I don't want to tip Ebba off to the existence of the mirrors. I don't trust her. I don't trust anyone, in fact, save Emlin+Ember+Caradoc+Coll+Anna, and even she's a bit of a stretch.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Cut back to Ebba and her magic gnomish spectacles again:

The staff: "Oh, well, this appears to be for the purpose of dispelling magic. The magic of the good kind, that is - the natural kind. It's a horrible item. It's command word is Aneka. I think. There may be other functions, and other command words, but the main image I am getting is of that word being spoken."

(This item might help to dispel natural magic, that of the elves druids or the Ilcruthy. It won't help with human wizard magic).

The robes: "Oh, these are more protective magic, I'd say. But they seem only to protect against attacks by natural creatures such as Ilcruthy. I'm not sure about these though. There ay be something else to them"

The helmets: Well, judging by the act that these a glowing, I'd say the purpose was to shed light? For underground use, no doubt.

(They are continual light medallions embedded in helmets. No other function).

The other inscription tool is also unknown to her. You showed them both at once.

As for the magic books and the felt case - these were in a chest, once opened by Anna, and then immediately closed when she saw all the magic runes wriggling about on the front cover of the first book. No one has since opened this as far as I can recall. If you want to open it again, let me know.

There was another chest with 4 more books too, and various items.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1719&p=49076&hilit=felt#p49076

You have other items too - from the tree-house raid. I'm not sure where these were supposed to be located.
Woe

Post by Woe »

IIRC, the second chest had nothing magical inside. It was just normal fare, like "Necromancy for Dummies".

I think I mentioned that I wanted everything from the Carr barn moved to the Safe Place, though I'm not sure if I actually mentioned it or only wanted to mention it. They definitely had the opportunity to do so, though I'm not sure they did. If you're ok with it, I'll exhaust my goodwill with Ebba to go through the tree fort loot too. However, I dont' recall anything being tagged as magical in the tree fort, save some potions that have since gone bad.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Several items from the tree fort were magical. A large brass whistle. A piece of thick, dark grey crystal about the size of a deck of cards. And an ornate iron dagger.

These are produced and shown in that order. The trader spends a long time on the whistle, and decides it is a device for summoning, or communicating with a creature from a spirit realm - that is all she can tell you.

When the crystal is taken out from its wrapping, it seems that new markings have appeared on the inside, like scratches. No one knows how this could have happened.

I want this taken out of my house at once!, demands Ebba, almost as soon as she looks at it. It is a scrying device - an eye, so that someone can see what is happening, wherever it goes. And I do not think I shall be looking at any more of your items! This is foul magic you are dealing with - and now it is quite likely that someone, or something, knows about me! Just the sort of thing I was hoping to avoid! Good night!
Woe

Post by Woe »

I figured that would happen, but not with the crystal that I had forgotten about anyway.

"Uh... thanks?" attempts Freya to the retreating elf lady. Instead, the son quickly starts ushering the elves out the door. The elves and Bruce will gather up their belongings and load it back into the coach.

"Back to the inn?" asks Denys, while still within earshot of the half-elf.

"Yes, and then Vanie in the morning. It will be a late start. I'm tired." replies Tiana. The secret exchange now complete, Denys will begin heading back to the inn. Once out of sight of Ebba's house, he'll take the north gate heading to Vanie then turn west/south once out of sight of the town.

I don't know if they'll have to go to Comby to turn back to Brant, but if that's the safest route then they'll do so. Meanwhile, Bruce will keep an eye out for followers and the elves will pack everything back into the pocket plane, doing an extra good job sealing up the crystal.

I expected that to happen eventually. I feel like I got lucky on how many items were inspected.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot