GREYFORGE: ARCHIVE

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: GREYFORGE: The Barracks at Kuln

Post by Longman »

I'm not sure we're on the same page about what is happening.

The Owl cannot fly down to Milly at the base of the tree. The trees are to thick right here. There's a clearing about 120 yards (2 rounds full move) away, and that is where the fighters have moved.

I think we should say that Milly has also run to that location, trying to attract the bird over there?

Anyway, wherever she is, Milly tries again to lure the bird with food, but once again it pays no attention.

The branches up here are big enough to move around, and Thann is a good climber and is in a stable enough position to attack, but the creatures are resilient. He attacks a tick attached to it, and misses.

Henry, by his side, makes a bold move and decides to jump on the bird's back in an effort to get it flying. But, the bird rejects his advances and lashes out at him, injuring Henry very badly (6hp), taking him to -1 HP. He succeeds in his save vs death, and does not die, or fall out of the tree! But, he is bleeding out and will die in 5 rounds.

Owly takes a further 2 CON damage, and has 5 remaining. She is going quite beserk trying to scratch them loose, but Thann can see it just isn't going to happen.

Meanwhile, the loose tick attacks the bird again, and misses again. The other tick is still climbing down the tree and is now only 10' away form the scene.

Bad situation. You can buy off a few rolls with game points if you like, or let it play out. Your luck has to change eventually.
Grendelthebrave

Post by Grendelthebrave »

Thann will dive in past his cousin, and stab down with authority on one of the blasted ticks. I'll spend a - GAME POINT - for him to rock a nice nat 20 on this roll. Hopefully Henry has a bit of luck on the other one.

Milly will wave her arms frantically. Cholum is probably getting pretty antsy wanting to climb up the tree after seeing how easily the Darkledger boys handled it.

Come on team Darkledger...
Chevo: HP 4/14 AC:14; (13 no shield) Rations:(days) 5
Cholum: HP 3/14 AC:14; (13 no shield) Rations:0
Milly:HP 4/4 AC: 11; Rations:10
Thann:HP 8/8 AC:13; Rations:5
Lord Elkminster: Rations: 35
Game Points: 0/4; Nov 5, 2015
Rations IG as of Fri, May 30, morning
Longman

Post by Longman »

You may wish to re-read the previous post.

Henry is unconscious and bleeding out. He is not going to be attacking anything.

And Cholum and Chevo aren't at the base of the tree any more - they ran off to the clearing 80 yards away.

Do you want to ret-con all that, and say they are at the base of the tree, with Milly? The point is, the bird can't fly down to you a at the base of the tree. The trees are too thick. So there is no point in her, or any one, waving their arms around in that location. The bird simply can't fly down to you.

I get the feeling you have been skimming a few posts lately. It's OK if we go slower.
Grendelthebrave

I apologize for the mixup, I didn't reply to that post immediately after reading it, and I missed the bit about Henry going down.
We don't need to retcon the other characters closer, I did realize that Milly was at the clearing away from the tree, I was mostly having them do 'something', rather than just sit around while the Darkledgers stole all the glory. I figured Milly might be able to attract the bird to the clearing, at least that's what I intended her to be trying to do.

Okay - Thann in the tree - Action!

Thann will advance in boldly and try to attack one of the ticks that is swelling up hanging off of Owly.
Longman

Post by Longman »

The plucky thief, grossly outnumbered and with his cousin bleeding to death by his side, again approaches the frantic owl and stabs at one of the ticks. (No game point, right)? It's a miss.

The owl reacts badly to his approach and lashes out at him as well, narrowly missing him with one talon. It still does not take flight! despite the best efforts of the seer and the fighters to get its attention. Daft bird.

The ticks on the owl drain another 2 CON, taking the total to 12/15. At this point, the creatures have sated themselves and Thann watches the hideous things begin to detach their mouthpieces and clamber off the owl.

Meanwhile the tick close to hand attacks the owl and misses. The other tick is now on the scene, and attacks...Henry, who is prone! It hits him and does him 4 hit points damage sticking its mouth into him. He also loses another 1 hp from blood loss, taking him to -6, and he dies.

Poor Henry. You can save him with a game point if you like, but you can also try to get on the owl's back and get her to fly the hell away from here...

I just looked and you have a dagger, and you attack at +1. This was always going to be tough for you on your own.

PS - sorry, I did assume you had misread the part about the clearing. In fact there is no reason why Milly could not have been yelling and waving at the owl from 80 yards away. So, that's what she has been doing. It just hasn't worked yet...
Grendelthebrave

Re: GREYFORGE: Blasted Ticks and Bubears

Sorry Henry!

Thann will spend the party's last game point, and dramatically leap onto Owly's back, using one of the fat ticks as a springboard.

Hopefully once it takes flight, it'll notice Milly's frantic arm waving from the clearing.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Henry Darkledger is officially dead. The two remaining ticks fall upon his corpse and drain the blood out of it while his cousin Thann, in a desperate gamble, leaps upon the back of the giant bird and gets her to fly away...

Unfortunately she does not go down to the seer. She sets off in a north-easterly direction. She has clearly accepted Thann on her back, and is making no effort to dislodge him, but has a mind of her own about where she is going.

You going to try to steer her?

Incidentally, this would be a good time to talk about your choices for your new background skill at 3rd level. If you decide to pick ''Animal Handling and Training'' I'll give you a bit of a bonus here, even though you are not 3rd level yet. It's a Darkledger family tradition. But if you had another concept, that's cool too.
Grendelthebrave

Ooh, that sounds cool. Yeah I'll go for Animal handling at the next opportunity.

Thann will think to himself, you're a long way from driving Elk with your granddaddy...

Thann, assuming that he can see where Milly et al are standing, will try to nudge the beast in their direction. Otherwise, it'll be a fun ride to see where Owly wants to go...
Longman

Post by Longman »

Thann nearly succeeds in controlling the bird, but not quite. She's clearly got something in mind...

But whatever it is, you don't get to find out because she's too weak to carry you that far and after about five minutes she has to land. She seems to rather like Thann now, though.

The party are eventually re-united in R05. It is Saturday May 31 and you have now spent 2 of your 6EP for the day. Still continuing with you original plan? You have one less EP than you anticipated, now the tick fight has happened.

Next the plan is to continue at 1EP/hex to Q06,P05. Next they will cut into O06, here they will be extra vigilant of the road. have a look at the road to uppers to see if they can learn anything(1 OR 2EP?) / OR then they'll continue West to camp out in N06.(final EP).
Longman

Post by Longman »

Bumping in case you missed last post. It's been two weeks.