GREYFORGE: ARCHIVE

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: GREYFORGE: The Barracks at Kuln

Post by Longman »

Okay, given that new knowledge, perhaps Chevo will not switch weapons, I thought he might have more time.

Sorry dude. They were at 40' yards distance. We're outdoors, so that's one round movement only.

Chevo attacks one at the round's end, and misses, unfortunately.

Milly moves back a bit and gets her sling out. You did not say she had attacked. So far, no one has noticed her.

Round 2:

Initiative:
Thann 6
Milly 6
Chevo 5
Cholum 5
Bugbears 4

So, Thann tries to get to his feet, which he manages to do successfully without the bugbear getting a free shot. He draws his dagger. I am assuming he attacks - he misses the bugbear.

Chevo makes a warcry, and notices several of the bugbears laughing (sorry). He then attacks one and hits it and it stops laughing. It has taken 9 hit points and is seriously wounded.

Cholum switches over to his melee weapon.

Milly starts flashing while she is hidden in the bushes! She can see, as if from the vantage point of some large aerial creature, about a hundred feet above the trees. She is flying above a roadway.

The bugbears have their turn.

Thann is hit by his opponent with a club. He takes 6 hit points! (Incidentally, Thann should have 8 hit points not 7. 5 for 1st level and 3 for 2nd level, with Con bonus included.) I suggest Thann runs away, or you spend a game point, otherwise he is likely to be toast.

Chevo is attacked by 2 bugbears. One hits and does him 2 hit points! OMG!
Cholum is attacked while changing weapons and also takes 2 hit points! OMG!

The two bugbears who dropped the troll are now in action. One runs towards the fighters and the other runs to the thief battle. The remaining 2 bugbears stay in the road while one tries to get the arrow out of the other's shoulder.

Round 3: Your go. Be careful and use game points of you need to, including buying game elements that are in your favor. Running away probably won't work now, as you move at 30 and the bugbears (40) are faster than you.

Grendelthebrave

Post by Grendelthebrave »

First things first, I'll re-roll that hit on Thann with a Game Point, making it into a 1. If by some lucky chance the beast falls, he'll flee. Otherwise, he'll realize he won't have much chance of escaping, and will stab away with his dagger.

Milly will try to maintain the vision she's having of the bird over the roadway, trying to figure out where she might be (perhaps with her cartography skill?).

Chevo and Cholum will maintain their onslaught, with Chevo laughing in turn at the bugbear who laughed at his previous war cry.
Chevo: HP 4/14 AC:14; (13 no shield) Rations:(days) 5
Cholum: HP 3/14 AC:14; (13 no shield) Rations:0
Milly:HP 4/4 AC: 11; Rations:10
Thann:HP 8/8 AC:13; Rations:5
Lord Elkminster: Rations: 35
Game Points: 0/4; Nov 5, 2015
Rations IG as of Fri, May 30, morning
Longman

Post by Longman »

The Bugbear on Thann misses, rolling a 1. Unfortunately, the follow up roll is not so bad, so all that happens is that he will get a -2 on his next attack roll.

Round 3:
Chevo swings and hits, killing the one he hit last time (10 additional hp). Definitely no laughing now.
Cholum also lands a hit, doing maximum damage (10hp) and knocking the huge creature back 5'.

Unfortunately there are still two uninjured bugbears on the scene and both attack. One misses Chevo. The other rolls a natural 20 on Cholum and will do him 9 hit points of damage, taking him to 11.

BUT: Cholum has just gone up a level right in the middle of combat, so he now has an extra hit dice. He can either take 5 extra hit points (4+con to take him to 14hp, or he can roll a d8 and see if he can beat the average. His BAB also goes up by 1.

With Milly - she tries to maintain the vision - and succeeds very narrowly. She has no idea where she is precisely, but the notion that she is a very large bird is confirmed when she sees her feet in the vision. She thinks she is in the body of Owly. No surprise there.

With Thann - you are uninjured, standing, and have two huge bugbears on you. One will attack at -2 this round. Again, I strongly suggest that you vamoose, climbing a tree, and hoping their parting shots miss, otherwise you will probably die. You can't fight 2 bugbears with a dagger.

Can you let me know Thann's actions for round 3 and then everyone's actions for round 4? Thann has 2 bugs, Chevo and Cholum have 3 to share, 1 is dead, and there are 2 in the roadway.
Grendelthebrave

The time has definitely come for Thann to bravely run away. I like the tree climb idea, if he can find something appropriate that won't be too terribly difficult he'll scamper up and try to avoid the bugbears.

Cholum will take the average for hp, no sense gambling right now. Chevo and Cholum will keep fighting, hopefully bringing another of the beasts down.

Milly will focus as hard as she can on the vision, unsure of what might come of it, but perhaps slightly relieved that it is Owly.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Thann - gets missed by the first bugbear as he flees, but slightly looses his footing while scrambling up a fir tree. He is just about to get pounded when an arrow flies out of the woods and into the back of the bugbear. It pauses, and he uses the opportunity to escape 15' up the tree.

Both bugbears are now below you and you are just hoping they can't climb.

Chevo - hits and goes 5 hit points to a fresh bugbear.
Cholum has taken the average hp deal but has also taken the hit, it seems. He has 3 hit points remaining - unless he buys down that natural 20 last round. He attacks, and misses.

The group of bugbears on the two main fighters check their morale and fail, rolling an 11. Their leader is injured with an arrow, and one of them is dead, and another 2 have been injured in the melee (5 and 10 hp). They fall back about 20 yards in a fighting withdrawal, while their boss starts barking instructions at them from the roadway. You think they are all about to start throwing things at you.

Can bugbears climb trees? Turns out, not well. One of them tries to scamper up after Thann, gets about 10 up and then falls out, injuring itself. The other one chases off after whoever just shot an arrow at it.

Milly - I need to know if you are deciding to buy the impending arrival of Owly to rescue you. If so, your action is taken care of.
Grendelthebrave

Yes! No sense hoarding my game points (famous last words). I'll pay one for the timely arrival of Owly to these hunting grounds. Muahaha.

The two fighters will move over to where the bugbears treed poor Thann once they get a chance, unless they get distracted by a huge owl or something. :)
Longman

Post by Longman »

I forgot to give Thann an action in round 4. Does he try to chuck his knife at one of the bugbears (quite difficult), or, climb further up to 30' (very easy). Arming yourself with a bow will take a round. (Firing a shortbow while in a tree is actually possible, with a -2 penalty.)

Milly in round 4 - continues her vision at no expense, and finds she is somewhat in control of the bird's movements and can sense some surface thoughts. Owly is worried about you (Milly) and has come to find you. The owl swoops down this round until Milly can actually see the roadway with 2 bugbears in the middle of it, and another group of 3 standing to the side of it, two of which are in the process of gathering rocks from the ground. She can also see Thann up a tree, with a bugbear at the base of it, and Henry about to shoot a charging bugbear which is about 60 yards from him. The owl can act next round, and attack any of those targets.

ROUND 5.

I need actions from all of you before the bugbears act.

The two fighters can't run over to Thann - there are bugbears in the way, who are about to start throwing clubs and improvised missiles at you, when it is their turn. They are 20 yards from you. You can take cover (+4 AC), or move backwards (+2 AC and add 30 yards distance), or even charge the 3 bugbears, but you won't make it to Thann without them attacking you. He is on the other side of the road.

Thann can keep climbing, or attack, like last round. (Remember to give me 2 actions for him).

Milly can attack any of the bugbears with the owl in round 5. (Right now, Henry is probably in the most danger.)
Grendelthebrave

Okay, previous round:Thann will climb further. Thann will continue climbing in round 4 as well, he'll probably run out of tree soon, at which point, if the bugbears aren't climbing anymore he'll switch to his shortbow. (Though to be honest I think I said he'd dripped it on the ground to switch weapons earlier.)

The fighters will take cover,with each of them using their shields to maximize their cover from the flying rocks.

Milly will send Owly to save ol' Henry. Hopefully doing the classic pick him up and drop him from 100ft up trick.
Longman

Post by Longman »

All righty. Thann climbs in round 4 - narrow success. Round 5, easy success. You are by no mean running out of tree. It's a fir, and is about 200 feet tall, so you have a ways to go!

The boys take cover and are bombarded with 2 rocks, a club and a spear. Unfortunately, 2 of the rolls are very good (19) and both Chevo and Colum get hit with rocks. One does 4 points of damage to Chevo (to 6) and the other does 1 point of damage to Cholum (taking him to 12).

Henry shoots again, and hits the oncoming bugbear, taking it to 10 hit points. It seems to be considering its options when a giant owl swoops down through a break in the trees and attacks it. Unfortunately the bird misses with both attacks, but it is still enough to startle the bugbear, who fails morale and backs away towards the road to rejoin its fellows.

The remaining bugbear realises that Thann has now climbed too high for him, and throws a rock at him. This misses, pitifully.

It's your go. The bugbears on the road have grouped up and have also noticed the giant owl. You are not sure what they are going to do just yet.

What do you all do in round 6? It's possible they could run away, but also possible they could regroup and attack the fighters some more. Let me know if you need a map.
Grendelthebrave

Milly will have Owly take a few dives at the growing group of bugbears.

I'd like to have the fighters start unloading with their bows, but I can't recall if they dropped them.

Otherwise they'll brace themselves and keep an eye on the blasted bugbears.