GREYFORGE: ARCHIVE

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: GREYFORGE: The Owl and the Behir

Post by Longman »

just topping this again in case you had not subscribed to the new thread yet, Grendel.
Grendelthebrave

Re: GREYFORGE: The Barracks at Kuln

Post by Grendelthebrave »

I apologize, I had subscribed. Just had a rough couple of weeks. I'm back. It's clear you put a lot of work into this so I'll do a better job of giving you a heads up if I'm going to disappear for a spell.

Anyway!
Back to the good stuff.

The party will try to hide, and set up a potential ambush. Thann will sneak around the wide side of the curve, and Cholum will stay on the tight side of the curve. Chevo will place himself behind Cholum and ready his bow. Milly will take LE and Henry off into the bushes, hopefully to stay out of too much trouble.

If the voices aren't travellig toward the party, then Thann will sneak up along the side of the road and try to get a visual on the source of the voices.
Chevo: HP 4/14 AC:14; (13 no shield) Rations:(days) 5
Cholum: HP 3/14 AC:14; (13 no shield) Rations:0
Milly:HP 4/4 AC: 11; Rations:10
Thann:HP 8/8 AC:13; Rations:5
Lord Elkminster: Rations: 35
Game Points: 0/4; Nov 5, 2015
Rations IG as of Fri, May 30, morning
Longman

Post by Longman »

Yeah, if you could post in OOC or PM if you are going to head out, that'd be appreciated. It's not the work aspect, it's the not knowing where folks are at.

I think I have interpreted you OK - the bend in the road was 80 yards away so I have said you stayed in your area, rather than advancing that far ahead.

Thann's sneaking takes him off the path to the north, while Chevo and Cholum drop back into the trees on the south side, and Milly and the reindeer + handler retreat and move back off the road a ways (80 yards) and are pretty well hidden.

Then you all wait for another round until the noise is about 200 yards away. Definitely coming in your direction, hasn't rounded the bend yet, but by the sounds of it they are definitely humanoids. Thann, Chevo and Cholum think there are maybe 2-4 of them, talking in their grunty squeaky language.

Then, Milly has a place flash of the bend in the road up ahead, and sees a large armed party of bugbears - 8 of them - coming up around the bend, 2 of them carrying a dead troll on a pole.

Milly is a full round away from warning the others if she runs at full tilt, and risks making noise if she does that. Or she could call out. Or...whatever you can think of.

The boys will be able to see the humanoid group in another 3 rounds, when they round a corner at about 80 yards distance.
Grendelthebrave

Milly will advance, trying to locate the Dwarves. She'll approach at a slight hustle (walking), so as to limit the noise she'll make. I understand that this will take more than a round, but so be it.

Hopefully the Dwarves will make the right decision when they see the unknown party. Right now they are still trying to remain concealed to get a better look at whatever is coming around the corner.
Longman

Post by Longman »

fast forward - milly moves up in 2 rounds (40 / round) and the bugbear party advance 2 rounds. Both her attempts at stealth are decent so the bugbears do not hear her as she makes her way through the trees and onto the edge of the road.

She reaches the rest of the dwarves in 2 rounds. In this time, the bugbears have advanced 80 yards and will be coming around the bend at the end of next round.

I assume she warns them of numbers and then gets hid. Is that correct? Or do you take the opportunity to move back from the road a bit further?

Also - what did Milly instruct the elk handler to do before she left? Stay put? The smell of the beasts might be an issue.
Grendelthebrave

Yes to both questions. She'll have told Henry what was happening, and to stay away from the road. Whether he'd interpret that as get back further and hide will be up to him.

She'll warn the Dwarves and try hard to back away slowly if there is a nice looking bush to hide behind.

The Dwarves will hide, and try to let the bugbears go by. At the very least wait until they're right on top of them before engaging. Chevo will switch to his Axe, Thann and Cholum will keep their bows trained, hiding as best they can.

OOC:Back to regularly being on my PC, posts will come more frequently.
Longman

Post by Longman »

OK lessee here...

First of all, Milly hides.

The bugbears round the corner. There are indeed 8 of them, 2 juveniles, and 2 carrying a troll. None appear to have long range missile weapons but they might be able to throw their clubs / spears a good distance.

They move up to the road to within about 40 yards of you.

One of them halts and growls something at the others. He seems to be sniffing the air. He doesn't seem to know your exact location but he has smelled something.

Do you stay put and hope, or do you run, or attack?
Grendelthebrave

Thann sweats as the bugbears stop on the road ahead... What are they doing? he thinks to himself, his grip tightening on his shortbow.
Thann grits his teeth and draws his bow, "give me one reason to wait" he whispers to Cholum, who seems surprised by the question. "There are too many!" Cholum answers back, a little too loudly though, and Thann, thinking their cover blown, looses towards the nearest bugbear.

Cholum will follow suit after the arrows start flying. Chevo will curse, drop his axe and try to get a shot off before the bugbears close.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Thann let's fly. I'm calling that a 'bead' at +4 because they are flatfooted and you have been watching them for several rounds. Unfortunately he critically fails, and his follow up roll is a 2. Thann falls over in an attempt to get a good vantage, and is on the ground.

:cry:

Now, Cholum lets fly, also receiving the +4, from the other side of the road. He hits easily and leaves an arrow (7hp) sticking out of one of the lead bugbears, which howls in pain.

Chevo can change to his bow, but, it takes a combat action. If you do that, they will most likely charge straight at you and then be on top of you with a bow in your hand. You won't get a shot away. Do you want to do this?

The ambush is sprung. 3 bugbears go charging off in the direction of Cholum and Chevo, and arrive to late in the round to attack. Another 1 goes off looking for Thann, and find him on the ground. Likewise, he is too late to attack.

2 put down the troll this round, untying themselves from the harness. The two leaders stand and confer, talking in bugbearish / gobliniod.

End of the round - do you want Chevo to get a shot with the axe as they arrive? And, do you want Milly to do anything or stay hidden?

Then onto round 2. We will roll for initiative. Tell me your intended actions.
Grendelthebrave

Okay, given that new knowledge, perhaps Chevo will not switch weapons, I thought he might have more time.

Chevo will indeed take a swing when they get close, attacking the nearest bugbear to him while shouting his best war cry to draw as much attention to himself as possible.

Milly will try to back away slowly, and pull out her sling, unless she draws the ire of one of the bugbears, in which case she'll draw her dagger.

Next round, Thann will try to get up, pull his dagger (I could have sword he had a short sword! Whoops), as I'm sure the bugbear will be right on top of him by then.

Cholum will drop his bow and switch to his mace, swinging as soon as he's able.

OOC: I think I'm regretting this move already...