RED OAK: Return to the Pass of the Hounds

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: RED OAK: Return to the Pass of the Hounds

Post by Longman »

The worm crawls around all over the door like the other one did, trying to sense where you have gone. During this, the two dwarves release pressure on the door by a small degree to open it wide enough to get a shot away. One person can get a shot away and that is Talin - there isn't room for anyone else with the dwarves in the way and the shot is at -4.

However the shot is a natural 20, and the creature takes max damage. It retreats from the door and the dwarves can no longer feel it pushing up against.

It's your move.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"We've got it on the run!" Kilian exclaims. "Charge!"

The dwarves will open the door further, so everyone can attack with their bows (Abigall, Anna, Freya, Talin). The two dwarves will draw their melee weapons and stand ready. I don't think they can attack this round since they're drawing and getting out from behind the door, right?

As for Tiana, she'll stay ready with her web.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Door opens...

Talin (only) would be in a position to fire. He does so - again at -4 - and misses this time. With his light helmet he gets a glimpse of a fleeting worm tail going round the corner into the skeleton room, to the south.

I have to remind you that you can't fit unlimited figures in a 5' doorway. With the two dwarves standing there it's a miracle shot that you hit anything last time.

If you want to attack it from here you will have to advance out of the room. Or, hope it goes away.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Yes, the party will chase the fleeing worm (at least as far as the bridge). The archers will shoot and the dwarves will try to get into melee range. If Tiana gets a chance, she'll toss up a web to slow it down.

Question about the web option: would it slow down for a round or would it plow through the web without even noticing? I'm not sure whether it makes the save and then breaks free of it would cause it to lose an action. It's a mechanics question i.e. "how would I DM/ruleplay this part?"
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

RE: web - if it made its initial save the web would have no effect at all. If it failed it is slowed for a round, an another round for every failed save.

Charge...

Running out into the skeleton room - -

The dwarves encounter the creature first and roll for initiative. The dwarves both win, narrowly. Kilian misses, Bruce hits, and does 3 hp. It has now taken 11.

Then the archers roll for init and Freya gets to fire. She misses.
The creature attacks Kilian, and hits, just, doing 7 hit points.
Now Talin can fire, and does - missing.
Anna attempts to fire into the crowded skeleton room and hits for 3hp (14).

If Tiana casts web she is likely to affect the dwarves. Instead she throws a dagger and hits for 2 (16).
Abigall also manages a shot, hitting for 3hp (19).

It's badly beaten up but still fighting. What do you do? Continue in melee? (Remember Bruce is badly injured.)
Woe

Post by Woe »

(Remember Bruce is badly injured.)
I did forget this. I assumed (incorrectly, I admit) that the healing potion had brought him back up when I called melee. Oops! :oops:

Bruce will fight defensively, using the AC bonus of +4. Kilian will also fight defensively, and we'll let the ranged take down the wormtooth.

If the dwarves are fighting defensively and the worm withdraws, do they still get the attack of opportunity?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

This is still the same day as Bruce took the potion. So he has not recovered. Doing pretty well for a guy on 2hp, though.

Bruce and Kilian miss their actions letting the worm attack them. (No, they would not still get an op attack if it fled).

Freya fires and misses. The worms attacks Kilian again! and hits him again! Oops. It rolls a natural 19. It swallows him. He takes 7 hit points and is now on -2. He is unconscious inside the creature's stomach.

(Um...did you want to use a game point here to make that roll into a miss? Otherwise, he needs to make a save vs Death Ray, or he is dead.)

:(
Woe

Post by Woe »

Not cool! Yes, I will definitely use a game point. Kilian can't die! Does that mean the worm swallows itself instead? :lol:

Is the nat 19 a game hint that the wormtooth can swallow a target 10% of the time? Crits occur on nat 20s only, so I'm not sure how it is relevant.

Bruce, Kilian, Freya attacked; then the wormtooth. Do Anna, Abigall, Fido, etc all go after the wormtooth?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

The giant caecilia swallows on a 19 or 20.

You spend a game point. I have altered the rules on that a bit. You had 1 each for taking your characters to 2nd level, and 1 each for taking them to 3rd level. So that's 8 in all. You now have 7.

The wormtooth missed and Kilian still has 5hp.

Talin now fires and misses. Anna hits again for 5hp. Abigall misses. Tiana hits for 4 with her dagger. It has now taken 28 hit point and is still going!

Fido? I hadn't figured he'd fight, but OK. He charges in and bites it. It dies.

Another wormtooth bites the dust.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Wow, Tiana threw her daggers and hit twice? She's going to get delusions of grandeur!

Ok, same afterbattle as last time: wounded head back to the safe room, and Talin (and likely the dwarves too) shore up the barricade yet again. Nobody disturbs the skeleton. Kilian will drink some of the healing potion too, because his player will get impatient waiting two weeks for him to heal up. ;) Talin will also slice open this worm to see what this guy has been eating. Anything interesting or more rabbits and such?

I kinda got those activities in the wrong order. Sorry!
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot