RED OAK: ARCHIVE

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Woe

Re: Down in Cyn Dol (Chapter 7)

Post by Woe »

Wait... one nisha across and another one above? If that's true, she'll retreat, down and away from the rustling.

As for inside...

Kilian rushes downstairs. When he hears Jane's offer, his face gets murderous. He says tightly, "Do what you can to save her. You live if she lives." He'll watch what she does, but also is thinking of the various ways he's going to end Jane's life if Anna dies.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

The Tiana group is over. The nisha got away. Down they come.

In the tree house, Jane indicated a small sealed wooden compartment that has been firmly affixed to the side of the tree-trunk. You find this earlier in your exploration. "They keep antidote in there," she says. "They told me there was an accident once where they shot a new arrival by mistake. After that they always keep some here. It's a clear liquid, in a bottle. You're supposed to drink some. That's all I know."

The compartment would be pretty easy to smash open but you might break whatever is inside.

Anna herself tries picking the lock and...can't manage it. This is because she is now feeling pretty awful. She has drunk some of the healing potion, but as you know, it does not work immediately.
Woe

Post by Woe »

is it like a collection box at church, or a mailbox? If so, Kilian will tell Bruce to hold the box tight as he smashes. He will attempt to work a seam or if not, laterally from the top. I suppose nobody has a serrated edge good for sawing?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

This was my initial description:

1 locked cupboard with a fairly fancy lock. The cupboard itself is built into the tree trunk and is probably a niche about 1' deep.

So, you can't pick it up or hold it. You'd have to smash the front of it open. There are no saws on hand here, by the way. Bruce suggests using his mace.

Tiana and the others arrive and start piling through the trapdoor into the tree-house.

Anna makes another save, and is still fighting off the poison. She is looking a bit pale in the face and her pupils are very large but she hasn't lost any HP yet...
Longman

Post by Longman »

Continued from above...

Once Tiana becomes aware of the urgency situation, she starts getting a strong urge to cast her Knock spell that's been waiting for her to get powerful enough to cast. That would open the little door, for sure...

The exp for doing so would also tip her up to 3rd level.

(EDIT: I see I had Knock listed as both a 1st and 2nd level spell. My Bad. It's a 2nd level spell. You have picked Knock and Web, right?
Woe

Post by Woe »

Sure, if Tiana has an urge that she's mastered knock, she'll definitely attempt it! Hopefully nobody remembers when the mage hand started scribbling by itself. >.>

Assuming that doesn't work. Talin will suggest Freya's sword instead. Poking a hole into the door than the mace. Less collateral damage on the impact. Is that correct thinking? Ultimately, Talin/Kilian will use whatever gets the door open fastest.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

And...Tiana's initial attempt is a fail. She strains to use the 2 additional Spell points and comes up a blank.

This time, Anna loses a hit point and falls into semi-consciousness.

After that, Tiana's 2nd attempt is a success. The door of the little compartment flies open to reveal:

1 more healing potion, this one is in a glass bottle
2 more jars of poison
2 jars of antidote (clear)
A large, brass whistle
An ornate dagger, iron
A very thick, dark piece of gemstone, roughly cut, about the size of a pack of cards.

A bit what the potion bottles look like:

"Give her some of the antidote, soon," say Jane. "I''ve heard it works pretty fast."

She doesn't exactly know how much to give but each bottle looks to contain about 3 tablespoons.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Talin will urgently give Anna a tablespoon. If that doesn't take effect in a round, he will give her another in the next round. Freya, Kilian, and Bruce will watch in case the nisha return.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

The antidote works (Anna made another save, anyway.) She recovers a bit, and is still pretty nauseated for the next few hours but the worst of the poison has gone.

"It's Belladonna, they use," says Jane, who is now trying to seem as helpful as she can. "The same as the fine ladies use to make themselves look pretty, but a much stronger amount. I do not know what thy use for the antidote. But I am glad it works well enough."

She has gotten rid of the sword, you notice. She does not know what any of the items in the compartment are.

There is no sign of the nisha, at all. All is quiet outside. It is still pretty early in the day.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Still jetlagged, but I'll give you a hint of what I'll post tomorrow so you can plan ahead: move out. The party (Kilian) doesn't want to stay with the nisha out there, so they'll move out to (town? cave?) so Anna and Bruce can recover.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot