Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Re: The Road from Red Oak (chapter 1)

Post by Longman »

Yeah, 70 or 80, it is moving around a bit. After a minute it stops, and you can hear bones crunching as it has a meal.

You'd have to peer up through the trees and move a bit to get a look at it. Right now you are crouched in the grass and hazel scrub.

You can tell it is considerably bigger than a human being.

map updated. you do not know which way it is facing.
Woe

Post by Woe »

The party (except the magic-user) opens fire with the bows and crossbows. After firing, they'll move 15' away from the humanoid and then roll for initiative.

70' is short range for Talin's longbow.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Just to be clear - you are breaking cover and moving a bit so you can see it?

I'll assume this is the case.

You try to surprise it and...you succeed.

It is 9' tall and wearing skins. A big spiked club is leaning against one of the farm walls. It is seated facing to the south, and gnawing on a bone.

Kilian misses.
Talin hits, convincingly.
Freya rolls a critical fail, but avoids losing her footing.

It knows you are there and makes for it's club. It's taken one solid hit and that is all.

Now you have seen how big it is, do you still want to rush it?

Init:

All of you (in any order you like, you all rolled higher than it)
The ogre
Woe

Post by Woe »

Wait... the party is rushing the OTHER way (and probably spread out a bit). Range was 70', so it should be about 85' now. Shoot again, then move back. The ogre should have 100' to cover. I have no idea how fast ogres run, but hopefully not that fast. The party should be able to get a few shots off.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Got it...so you move backwards and then wait for it to come running out of the trees and attack you? Or are you shooting over and through the trees and then moving back.

Let me know which. I had assumed you were going to wait til you had a decent shot on it, when you could see it clearly.

I figured the magic user is also at the same sort of range but a bit further back.

It does charge you. It ends up in the the square Kilian was in. He will be on the edge of the map. It will be on you next round. Is he reloading or what?

The two missiles...

The ranger hits again...just. This time the damage is not so impressive.
Freya rolls a 19 and does a decent amount of damage.

It narrowly makes it morale roll, yells very loudly in an unknown language and charges you (next round).

Does the mage want to act this round? She still can.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Tiana: if there's anything she can animate to trip up the charging ogre, she'll animate that. If no rope or chain nearby, she will cast Shield on Talin.

-- next round --

If Freya is close enough for a sneak attack, she'll switch to her sword and do that. Otherwise, she'll advance while firing with her bow. Same with Kilian -- advance while firing. Talin will switch to his twohander. Tiana isn't sure what she'll do yet. She's looking to see if she can animate anything to throw off the ogre's balance, like tie his shoes together or cinch his belt very tight. Branches above would work too.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

OK...

Unfortunately there isn't a decent sized rock or branch nearby to use as a weapon to actually hit the ogre.

So instead you try to trip him up with a dead hazel branch as he crashes through the trees.

You succeed admirably. He doesn't fall over, but his progress is delayed considerably. He looks puzzled. Or maybe he always looks like that, who knows.

(PS - you can't cast the animate spell on an 'attended' item like shoes, and shield is self only.)

I can't see a sneak attack working in this situation as it now knows you are all there. You'd have to hide in trees again.

You have just won the initiative, because of the spell. I have your orders but I just want to clarify.

The ogre is in the square currently marked 'K.'

Kilian is 15 feet from him, due west. I take it he has reloaded, because you want him to fire next round.
The two bows are 5' back from that, Talin to north, Freya to south, and the mage 10' behind.

What do all want to do? Fire again, or swap weapons? You have 3 clear shots at it at close range. It is fighting of a bunch of dead hazel branches.

PS - If at any stage you want to reposition your characters, or feel I have misinterpreted what you said, let me know. It's a bit tricky to judge this.
Woe

Post by Woe »

I'm confused about the map. I see the four party members (K, Ti, T, F) and the ogre (K), but are Kilian and the ogre in the same square?

For anyone not in the same square as the ogre, they'll fire their missile weapons. Anyone in the same square will switch to HTH.

OOC: What is the rule for weapon swapping? Is it a free action or does it take a round to draw a new weapon?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

I just haven't updated the map because it takes time. K was where Kilian was a few rounds ago. You all retreated back from there, and the ogre is where you were.

Next time I will try to work out the grid labelling so we can just call the names of squares.

Your missile operatives all fire...

Kilian misses
The ranger rolls at nat 20. The arrow slams into the ogre's left shoulder and stays there.
Freya misses, very narrowly.

It looks very badly injured by the ranger's first and third arrows, and it fails it morale and runs back into the clearing towards the hovel.

Your next actions - you can have a parting shot at it through the tree cover at a considerable penalty, or, you can change weapons and move closer.

It is yelling out, very loudly.

OOC - I'm ruling that changing weapons is a combat action. You can't attack and do it in the same round. You can move x1 and change weapons, however.