RED OAK: ARCHIVE

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Woe

Re: Interlude Thread

Post by Woe »

Freya shrugs. "We've only found death out in Boldenwald. Adventuring doesn't pay as well as guild work. I'm glad Anna's alive. Not all of us made it back this time. Here, Anna... let me help you with that chest." She'll do what she can to help tidy up. She'll also use the time to get a better idea why Brian started drinking, what his occupation before, and try to come up with some ideas how to pull Brian out of his squalor... all without discussing with Brian at all.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

From me notes
General plans if arriving back at Red Oak:
- Check in on Huw, make sure they're ok... still need to do that
- Report back to Emlin... done
- Find out what's going on with Sir Bors... done
- Find some wine for Roddy, maybe a day trip... hmm... I kinda want to do that but it seems like the DM is antsy to get moving to Brant :)
- Find some guards for Huw... unnecessary
- Rent a wagon for Brant... I guess that's something Tiana can do when she's not being mystic. She'll ask for the coach to pick them up at Huw's farm though; something about being it being on the way.
- Think of a good thank-you for Huw... nope
- Pay a visit to Anna's da (good RP opportunities there!)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

How far away is Huw's family now? Also, do the coaches only leave on Mondays? I'd like to sneak off to the monastery for a wine delivery, but don't want to spend another week in Red Oak because of it.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

The bar-room listens in rapt but slightly drunken attention to Kilian's charisma roll, ahem, story. Even Barkeep Moseley lends a not totally hostile ear. He's happy with the 5gp.

You nailed this pretty good, although the guy who had just asked you for assistance with his horse-stealing neighbor is a bit annoyed you didn't even respond to him!

Main questions form the bar-room

'I knew James. A good man he was. Better than his brother. A shame to die avenging a waste of space, like that. But at least he was brave til the end.'

'So, what's going on with that young Holme girl? She can handle herself out there? She puts many men here to shame!' (This rather unhelpful comment is from a barmaid).

So, are you staying in our town any longer? We're appreciative, but with the risk of death so great and the reward so slim, we'd not think the less of you if you took elsewhere.'

You're all right, you northies. I always said it. Those western folk, though. I'm glad they are keeping a low profile. Might not be too welcome here, with their magic tricks.' (This is said to the bar aloud.)

''Those elves been up to any magical business? I'd love to see some real magic, just once in my life. Could you ask about that?' (This is said to Kilian alone, by a different person).

You can respond to any of that you wish.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Answers:

Huw's brother's farm is about three hours away. You could go tommorow (Sat)?

Coaches leave every day if you hire one all to yourself. The driver will do whatever you like. He'd rather not leave on Sunday. It's still Friday. I pictured you in RO at least all weekend. He can easily come past Huw's farm, or even Huw's brother's farm, which is on the way to Nore.
Longman

Post by Longman »

See 2 more posts above this one..

Freya and Anna: its hard to ignore Brian seeing as he is right in your face. What messed him up as his wife dying, and that's all. They are poor and he has 4 kids. His daughter has turned to petty crime in order to raise cash that the farm does not.

Brian doesn't actually try messing with Freya but she can tell he would like to. When she says she has no money he asks her to leave and points to the edge of his property down the road. 'You leave me and mine alone' is the predictable response.

Anna has been cooking soup in the meantime.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Longman wrote:You nailed this pretty good, although the guy who had just asked you for assistance with his horse-stealing neighbor is a bit annoyed you didn't even respond to him!
I'm going to claim that the "I'm bereft with grief" was to the room, including the guy [hic]. :)
'So, what's going on with that young Holme girl? She can handle herself out there? She puts many men here to shame!' (This rather unhelpful comment is from a barmaid).
I'll play this during a break of beers.
"Aye, she's a stout lass... decent with a bow too. Not too shabby to look at either. Must come from strong stock. 'er parents must be proud. *swig* But it's one thing to talk in jest, lass. Did ye not hear about James? Ye should be embarrassed of ye, putting men up to the horrors of Boldenwald. It might affect ye tip jar too, methinks, when all ye favorite tippers are bleeding out in a ditch or being roasted by goblins. Now fetch me friends here more of that fine ale ye keep, and I'll tip a bit extra for ye."
So, are you staying in our town any longer? We're appreciative, but with the risk of death so great and the reward so slim, we'd not think the less of you if you took elsewhere.'
Who's asking? Is it a nisha spy? Where's Roddy when he's needed?! :)
"What? And leave all this fine lager to the likes of you?! Gareth, you lout!" Kilian roars. He throws a peanut at Gareth, completely humorously. Depending on how far in his cups he's pretending to be, he might miss completely and peg that troublesome serving wench on her backside... all while looking completely innocent.
You're all right, you northies. I always said it. Those western folk, though. I'm glad they are keeping a low profile. Might not be too welcome here, with their magic tricks.' (This is said to the bar aloud.)
"If ye get as far as Stoneheim, I'll show ye something real magical. Rock art, of the dwarves of old. The gates of Stoneheim, dem be a work unlike no other I've seen." Kilian continues about the beauty of the ancient stonework at Stoneheim, obviously missing the point about the elves.
''Those elves been up to any magical business? I'd love to see some real magic, just once in my life. Could you ask about that?' (This is said to Kilian alone, by a different person).
Kilian stares at the person, under his bushy eyes. "Well... I dunno much about magic. It's not like the fables, where battle wizards shape the elements about them. It's more like... well... meh. Naught much difference between real magic and the charlatans you see at the harvest faire. Between you and me, it's not that impressive. The elfling and her bow though -- she's a piece almost as good as the rangers." He'll try to find out the person's name all the same.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

Four kids, poverty, and a drunk. That sounds painfully familiar to Freya. But she has no ideas, since she wasn't able to address the same in her own household.

Freya will take her leave. "Anna, it's been a delight. If you need anything, let me know. I'll come right away. Master Holme, a pleasure to meet you too sir."
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

Meanwhile, Talin will head out to Brother Carr's farm with large slab of boar meat, a jug of cider, a berry tart, and some apologies. He's not quite sure what he'll say, but he'll attempt to assuage tempers with food and probably gold (but the gold will be in private). If Huw is stubborn, Talin will say it's just to offset the lost income with the farm and the inconvenience of moving the family, nothing more. I think if he hoofs it, he'll be able to get there and back within the same day. Assuming he leaves at noon, he'll be back by supper? Worst case, Emily makes him spend the night.

Tiana will spend time being mystic and guarding the stash. In a flash of recollection, she'll remember to write a letter to James' aunt in Tor Manis. She'll leave out the details and the letter will go unsigned, but will let poor Auntie Gower know about both Owen and James.

When Freya and Kilian are done in Red Oak, they'll head back to Huw's farm.

How safe is the farm? If the party left the stash there unprotected for a day, would it be safe, or should some of the party stay and guard it? Also, would it be possible for the party to make it to E12 and back within a day? It'd be two EP beyond normal. They aren't going without armor! Even winded, the last two hexes are usually safe. They want to try for a wine delivery, which would happen on Friday or Saturday.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

Still on Kilian's pub RP on Friday -

suspected Nisha spy is just a local guy called Ronall, a farmer, asking after your intentions. If he's a psy hels in deep cover because he's lived here for forty years.

Unless the nisha can take the forms of other people!!!

The guy asking about magic, similarly, is a local guy called Jedd.

By 'Gareth', I assume you mean Geredd. He was in the bar. You can hit the serving maid on the ass if you would like.

Freya leaves and returns to meet Talin and the others before Talin heads off to Huw's brother's farm on one borrowed horse, laving the elf and dwarf to pair up on the other to go back to the main farm.

Talin finds Huw in good spirits.

'It's not your fault at all, son', he says - although he does take all the food and drink. 'We knew what we were letting ourselves into when we let you stay. Those bandits have been getting worse and worse and it us just as well to have someone go after them for a change. We are safe enough here. And I think our farm will survive.'

It appears he still does not know that they are shapechangers. Do you want to keep it that way?

Talin will to stay the night out here but could ride back tommorow (Sat). It might be a good thing for him to see seen in church on Sun.

You could go on a mission to Chateau Boldenwald on Mon and leave on Tue? If nothing else happens...