Return to the Refuge.

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

User avatar
Jandolar
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Re: Return to the Refuge.

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:23 pm

Fergus pulls a large frying pan from his pack and settles it in some coals at the edge of the fire where some of the drippings from the rabbits can fall into it. Into that natural oil he scatters a few handfuls of greens and wild onions. Soon the meal is ready and he portions out meat and greens to the CoS. As the meal is eaten he places a well used coffee pot into the coals and soon the aroma of a dark roast wafts through the campsite. He pours himself a cup and leans back gesturing to the others to get a cup if they wish.

Your best route is the one you are currently on young Adept. Travel this road for another 6 days and you'll reach the Refuge in that time. There is a small trading town three days from here that you can stop in for supplies if you wish and perhaps a night spent in a bed instead of the hard ground. You and I bypassed it on your way out as you were intent upon reaching the range and climbing the mount. I've seen naught but a bear or two between here and there and not a brigand or thief one. The town is called simply "The Town". The landowner there is a man named Kieren, a successful warrior when younger he claimed the land, cleared it of hostiles and built himself a house with a small trading building nearby. It soon became prosperous and others moved in to help farm and run the trading company. He is a gentle soul now days but not one to be contested. He knows well of your Refuge and will most likely welcome you and your companions. The meal finished and things tidied up Fergus makes his departure. I've things to attend to in the north but I'll set companions to watch for you as you travel. Blessed journey all.

The next few days pass without incident. In three days time the CoS comes to a cross-roads where a small gathering of homes and buildings has set root. The lone sign post reads simply "The Town". Traveling up what must be the main street Opyeen in the lead can see a larger building with actual glass windows set off to the right. The placard has a drawing of a tankard and a knife and fork, obviously a place to eat and drink. Behind the building is a well maintained stable with stacked hay and an alert stable boy who comes from behind the fence to approach the company of riders.

Welcome to The Town all. Perhaps I may look after your mounts and animals while you are here? Master Kieran has an excellent lamb roasting over the fires if you're in mind for food. He also has some well made and lightly flavored spirits to quench the thirst.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
User avatar
Blazeguard
Posts: 1280
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:48 pm
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Re: Return to the Refuge.

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:37 pm

"Well met young man. Fergus assured us that Master Kieren would take care of us. I daresay I can smell that lamb roasting from here and my stomach is telling me I've spent too many days on the trail." With that, Rykken heads into the inn to quench his thirst and sate his hunger.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Woe
Posts: 3953
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Return to the Refuge.

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:29 pm

Ravoneth thanks Fergus. "Once again, you are a timely and welcome addition to my journey. It is my sorrow that our ways part so swiftly. Good journeys to you, Master Fergus."

------------
Once at The Town, Ravoneth will stay with the wagon, and her charge. She'll also make sure his binds are secure, his kneecaps aren't, the brand is fresh, etc.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
User avatar
Jandolar
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Re: Return to the Refuge.

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:51 pm

Blazeguard wrote:"Well met young man. Fergus assured us that Master Kieren would take care of us. I daresay I can smell that lamb roasting from here and my stomach is telling me I've spent too many days on the trail." With that, Rykken heads into the inn to quench his thirst and sate his hunger.
Ah a friend of the Rangers are you? Well then you've been sent to the right place. Any friend of the Striding Folk is a friend of The Town.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
User avatar
Jandolar
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Re: Return to the Refuge.

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:57 pm

Woe wrote:Ravoneth thanks Fergus. "Once again, you are a timely and welcome addition to my journey. It is my sorrow that our ways part so swiftly. Good journeys to you, Master Fergus."

------------
Once at The Town, Ravoneth will stay with the wagon, and her charge. She'll also make sure his binds are secure, his kneecaps aren't, the brand is fresh, etc.
As Ravoneth begins to settle in with the wagon and Brother James the boy waves her over a few feet away. In a whisper... If he's a prisoner Miss Adept we've got a holding area for miscreants located in the cellar of the tavern. He'll be secure there if you tell Master Kieren that he's to be held. We frequently hold brigands and bandits for the local authorities and in many years not one has escaped. The cell isn't.... well..... it's kind of small and unpleasant. There are chains for both feet and hands and a solid door that not even a dwarf can budge. We had an orc once that was unable to even stretch the chains. Master Kieren has seen some things and has a knack for holding someone.... if you catch my meaning?
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Woe
Posts: 3953
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Return to the Refuge.

Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:02 am

"You are a very observant young lad." She hands him a silver because she has it and he doesn't. :) "See this brand on my head? He and I are bonded together, and I can't let him leave my sight. I would like to use the cell, though I will be either inside or outside of it while he remains in it. Can you let Master Kieren know of my interest?"
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
User avatar
Jandolar
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Re: Return to the Refuge.

Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:29 am

Woe wrote:"You are a very observant young lad." She hands him a silver because she has it and he doesn't. :) "See this brand on my head? He and I are bonded together, and I can't let him leave my sight. I would like to use the cell, though I will be either inside or outside of it while he remains in it. Can you let Master Kieren know of my interest?"
The stable hand takes the silver with a shy smile. Than you miss, it will go far to help my family. I'll let the master know of you wishes. While you wait I'll have someone bring you food and drink.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
User avatar
Jandolar
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Re: Return to the Refuge.

Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:50 am

The boy leaves Ravoneth and her wagon to tend to the mounts of the rest of the party. He pays particular attention to the two ponies ridden by the halfling duo and is overjoyed to be able to look them in the eyes as he leads them to separate stalls. I'll have the hostler look at them all in the morning and bring the blacksmith for to shoe them for you. Some of your mounts seem to need some trimming.


As the companions leave the animals and their gear (the boy promises to bring the packs inside once the animals are attended) and enter the tavern they are greeted with a rather thin crowd. Seated at a few tables are what seems to be local farmers in for an evening meal and a drink to wash the dust down as they talk of crops. A small fire burns in the grate more to keep a warm atmosphere that to do anything else (the cooking is done outside in the back). There are few shadows in the place as lanterns are in abundance. At the far end of the room a simple wooden bar top is set to serve, behind this stands a man of average height and build. Long brown hair and a trimmed beard frame a happy face. Welcome to the Tavern of the Town! I am Kieren, what will you have? From the far side of the bar a lady speaks. I know what one of them will have.... to drink that is. She steps away from a couple of men she's been talking with and to the bar and orders then turns towards the companions. Barely five feet tall and sporting mail and plate she pulls a heavy mace from her belt and lays it against the shield at her feet. Her right arm is bare to show an intricate tattoo from shoulder to muscular wrist. Looking to the companions as she walks with a drink in each hand...Opyeen, Rykken, Hermia and Maephina.. Stepping up to the Cleric her eyes light up a bit and her close cropped pixie bobbed hair catches the light of the lanterns. Giovanni... a drink perhaps and some conversation if you have time? Perhaps a dance later if the music deems it so?
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
User avatar
LibraryLass
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Return to the Refuge.

Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:14 am

Hermia gives a friendly, but slightly nervous smile, then turns her eyes to Giovanni. "Friend of yours, I trust?"
http://rachelghoulgamestuff.blogspot.com/
Rachel Bonuses: Now with pretty

http://www.gofundme.com/8gawy0
Currently panhandling for my transition/medical bills.
User avatar
Hywaywolf
Posts: 5260
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:30 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Return to the Refuge.

Post Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:54 pm

"Rather close friends they were if I recall correctly," says Oypeen with a friendly smile. "I had the bad manners to mistrust her motives, but to my defence, we had a lot of reasons to mistrust people at that time."

Oypeen takes his drink. "To new beginnings," he says to the wine bearing dwarf.
Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests