5) Brother James and the Eye Tyrant

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

Jandolar

Re: 5) Brother James and the Eye Tyrant

Post by Jandolar »

LibraryLass wrote:"What will... become of the steel, once we return it to you and yours?"
The realm needs armor and weapons, always has and always will. With that cache of metal we can start up a forging operation here on the mainland to provide those arms and armament. That Blue Steel in that chest will allow us to churn out amazing products. Can you imagine wearing plate armor that weighs in at less than a quarter of normal plate? A sword that weighs one pound instead of several and holds a razors edge far longer than any other?
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Both halflings lean in at this intriguing prospect.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Ravoneth tries very hard to appear interested, but she has little interest in the affairs of dwarves. She inwardly chuckles at the concept of metal-clad dwarves running across the ocean, but does not share the same emotion aloud. She suppresses the thought and turns back to the conversation. The dwarf Kallas seems to be somewhat virtuous, for a dwarf. Ravoneth decides that selling the blue steel to him will not create a future where she finds herself fighting blue steel. Satisfied with that outcome, she waits patiently while the dwarves and humans conclude their business.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Rykken leans over to Oypeen and whispers, "I wonder if they would consider making us some 'special' weapons and armor?"
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

(Finally some time on a working PC!!!)

The Cos arrives early for the meeting between them and the Grimsbeards to discuss the transfer of the chest and its contents. Waiting in the vault they hear Alfred welcome the dwarves and lead them once again down the stairs where the deal will perhaps be made.

Four dwarves come down the stairs. First is the familiar form of Kallas, his beard and hair are trimmed and well oiled. His armor is also meticulously clean and gleaming. Behind him comes Kallismith his elder brother.

Clothed in a smiths apron chased in silver and steel with a ceremonial hammer in his hand the elder Grimsbeard is an imposing figure. Best guess is that he is centuries old and massive in build. He is possibly 300 pounds of solid muscle at only a few inches over five feet, corded forearms and biceps with huge shoulders showing out of his sleeveless smiths garb. His beard is covered in gray is his black hair at the temples. Ancient scars show upon his arms and face, many years at the forge are etched upon him.

Behind him comes the Scholar Kalylill. Slight of build (for a dwarf) he seems to look everywhere and nowhere at the same time. His deep brown eyes miss nothing. In his hands he holds a ledger almost a foot thick. Permanent ink stains upon his fingers marks him as a dwarf driven for history and lore.

Last to come in is Kallysa the priestess. At barely five feet tall she carries herself much taller. Clad in Blue Steel plate armor and with a Blue Steel mace at her side she is the epitome of calm. Her muscled forearms indicate that she is a lady of combat, the scar across her face from left eyebrow to jaw shows that she has seen her share.

The Grimsbeards stop an axe swings distance from the CoS.

Kallas speaks. Friends of Sturm Stoneshield who died protecting those that were not of dwarven lineage, he who lives on in our memory as a true dwarf, he who thought that all races were equal in combat. I am Kallas Grimsbeard. Son of Kallas the Fourth, brother of Kallismith the second, brother of Kallyill, brother of Kallysa the Only. We have come as clan and family to negotiate the return of that which is was ours, built by dwarven hands and carried by same. An offer has been made shall you accept that offer or do you plan to debate?

Kallismith steps forward with a number of talisman sized Blue Steel hammers and hands one to each of the CoS. His deep baritone sounds These hammers represent honesty and truth. Regardless of our outcome keep them with you always as a gift from the Grimsbeard family.

(Opyeen and Rykken you can feel some sort of magical energy in them. You feel better protected.)

Kallyill steps forth. I am the keeper of the Lore. I know all that has come before and its worth. I know our family and what belongs to us from days gone and days to come. I welcome you. He hands Hermia a Blue Steel quill. Never will it run out of ink, never will it fail to mark, never will it sputter. It will write as you think it so. My gift no matter the outcome of this negotiation.

Kallysa is next. She steps to Giovanni. I offer you this mace. Forged by my fathers father it is light and fast. Hatred of the unliving is its forte. Regardless of the outcome of our negotiations wield it in confidence with the backing of the All Father.

Kallas returns to the fore. Your gifts for the negotiation?

At the last statement from Kallas there is an "Oh heck!" thought in Hermias mind. She suddenly remembers from stories Sturm told her when he was drinking and talking of family that there must be an exchange of items before any dwarven negotiation can commence.

(FYI CoS you still have the 86 Platinum pieces of Dwarven Blue Steel that you found a while back. It might make a nice gesture.)
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Oypeen's hand starts to move toward the wheel of expensive cheese as an offering gift, but then thinks better of it. He wonders if these people would be a good place to offload the beholder's key, but then rejects that as likely to derail the negotiations. He looks to the others then says, "I hope one of us remembered to bring the offering of platinum pieces sealed in dwarven blue steel?"
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Rykken steps forward and with a bow and a flourish, produces the platinum pieces. "We are honored to receive these gifts. Please accept these platinum pieces as our gift to you."

Rykken steps back and waits for them to be seated at the table.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Hermia also offers up her old shortsword. Hermia thinks she remembers something of Dwarvish poetry making use of alliteration as a preferred device, and deliberately echoes what she knows of it in an effort to make the exchange sound grand and important. It may be slightly clumsy, but she lowers her head and presents it with forthright earnestness.

"I bore this blade the last day alongside Sturm Stoneshield I stood. Though it bears no enchantment, it is a worthy weapon and served me during danger and distress. So stand the sword as my gift to you: an eternal symbol of the honorable agreement we set forth to foster tonight, as great as the honor I felt when I fought alongside a Dwarven warrior."
Woe

Post by Woe »

Ravoneth bows solemnly to Kallas and the other dwarves. "I did not have the honor of meeting Sturm Stoneshield, but he is well remembered by his friends here. I did have the glory of fighting alongside Kallas Grimsbeard while new to Waterdeep. I offer this talisman of friendship, carved from an Aspen core. It is lightly silver in color at the edges and a subdued white in the middle, fashioned in the shape of a leaf from the tree which it was carved."

:D
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

The dwarves accept the gifts with a bow and smiles. Kallas is truly touched by Hermias gift of a weapon that shed blood alongside his missing friend. Kallysa is likewise touched at the gift Ravoneth produces and slips it into her belt pouch with a reverent smile.

Now seated opposite the companions Kallas begins by laying a small keg of some sort of liquid upon the table. This is for after our deal is complete. Tis an old tradition meant to seal the deal as we unseal the ale. So Carnage of steel what do you propose?

The dwarven scholar opens his ledger and prepared to document the occurrence.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18