5) Brother James and the Eye Tyrant

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

Woe

Re: 5) Brother James and the Eye Tyrant

Post by Woe »

Ravoneth returns the note unopened. "He will not leave my sight again, as long as he lives."

ill work in a better reply if R can open the note or H communicates differently. Right now I'm trying to wait for James to say something before R starts the waterboarding. And she won't wait too long.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

staring contest, Ravoneth vs James vs CoS! Who loses first? :shock: :?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Giovanni turns to Ravoneth.. "I know you are angry my friend, but bringing hurt to this man is nota the solution.. It willa only manage to damage your soul and taka you down a path I'm not sure you wanta travel."
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Woe

Post by Woe »

She's not angry (though I don't know about Hermia). I'm just impatient because I personally don't want a long time for James to decide to start talking about his bad decisions. Properly elf-played, it will take about 230 years for James to start discussing this. Approximately. ;)

Ravoneth acknowledges Giovanni's advice with a barely perceptible nod, her eyes not leaving James.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Oypeen looks at the Brother james in disgust. He feels somewhat responsible for the death of the two workers since he was the one that spotted them and chose to confront them. On the other hand, if they knew they were in danger from Brother James then they could have said something to us. He very much wants to know why James killed them, suspecting that they knew facts that he didn't want to get out. He has decided that unless James answers questions and gives compelling reasons for his actions, he will be put to death for killing those two.
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Woe wrote:Ravoneth returns the note unopened. "He will not leave my sight again, as long as he lives."

ill work in a better reply if R can open the note or H communicates differently. Right now I'm trying to wait for James to say something before R starts the waterboarding. And she won't wait too long.
"Fine, then just where he won't be able to read it." Hermia whispers.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Hmm... how to read the note without taking her eyes off of James?! :shock:

Ravoneth will slowly circle behind James, then quickly read the note. She'll catch Hermia's eye, nod, wrap the note back up, and then complete her circle to end up back in front of James. She'll then resume her vigil.

It's the evil eye | silent treatment, which Ravoneth never got from her mother because she's an orphan... but I'm sure all of us have experienced it.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

As the battle of wills goes on between Ravoneth and Brother James a note is passed between Hermia and the young female adept. As Ravoneth walks behind Brother James he tries to watch her and see what her reaction is to the note. In the scant seconds that she passes beyond his sight there is a quick reading and a nod to Hermia from our stalwart fist fighter. As Raveoneth steps back into her lost brothers sight with the note still apparently sealed she sees a momentary flash of panic in his eyes.

Returning to her seat in front of him Rave stares daggers at the broken and ruin former adept of the Refuge. Her anger boils at what he has done, at what he has become.... as she seems ready to boil over the calming voice of Giovanni settles her back into focus.

Alfred arrives with a set of manacles for both feet and hands. A few tense moments are felt as the restraints are applied and the ropes removed. Now securely held by very expensive platinum cuffs (Alfred shrugs off the cost with a What's some metal compared to a life?) Brother James is held immobile.

The young half elf looks around. First to Hermia. I could have killed her with that strike you know. I didn't, I chose not to do so. Taking a life without cause is not what I was trained to do. I could have though... easily.

Then to Opyeen he looks, seeing no help there he continues his scan to Giovanni. Priest you follow the same precepts as our order, or close enough. You'd not kill a man out of hand if he were defenseless, say...... chained to a chair... would you goodly priest?

Now to Ravoneth. He looks into her eyes and then drops his to look at his own hands. I never meant for this to happen Rave.. none of it.. but the allure was too great. So much money for the Refuge. No more selling veggies and livestock to make the coin we needed for repairs. He looks into her eyes now and his blaze with ambition. I can make enough for us in a couple of days to make our refuge the envy of the lands! We'll train adepts for mercenary work and they'll be the most desired of any ever heard of!!!! We'll be famous and rich and feared wherever we go!!! None will dare to say we are poor servants of a lost art ever again...... I only wanted what was best for us, you and I... and the refuge.

Do any of you have the ability to detect lie or deception? For that matter is Mae in the room at this point? She'd be the best able, as a thief, to read his expressions and decipher if he's honest or not.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Woe

Post by Woe »

Wait, R is not angry mad or furious. Perhaps a bit disappointed or resigned, but not mad. That's so non-Jedi of her.

With that said, the paragon of calmness proceeds.

"No James, we will go back to the refuge together and harden your resolve. You were a good monk once. You can be again." And on that note, she swiftly breaks at least one, ideally both kneecaps. "The refuge does not exist to be a powerful mercenary organization. We do not exist to be powerful. We follow the Way and use the Way to help others."

She continues the admonition a bit but I'm boarding a flight and won't have internet for another ten hours. I don't have time to go on but it's a boring happiness apple pie and peace sermon. :)

(Not kidding. It's only logical to break the legs to keep him from fleeing)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

Yay for tarmac time.

Once done addressing James, she then speaks to Alfred (if he is there, and eyes not leaving James' face). "Do you have any red stain, ideally from bloodroot? James and I have a rite to perform. I shall hardly need any, a half cup at most."

(Earlier, during the handcuffing)
"The handcuffs will do better if the chain is wrapped once or twice around the manacles. We are trained to flip our limbs about. Leave them unentangled and those hands will soon be in front of him."

-----
For those of you wondering, the stain is for a non-permanent branding. Perhaps they've seen fallen monks elsewhere. In this order's rules, an unrepentant monk gets branded with a single elvish rune of rogue. It's both a mark of shame and honor, depending on the company. The stain is non-permanent because James hasn't been convicted, only charged. Ravoneth gets a brand too, of justice.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot