4) Undermountain: The Beholders Key

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

LibraryLass

Re: 4) Undermountain: The Beholders Key

Post by LibraryLass »

Hermia beckons the young monk to come close enough to hear her speak in hushed whispers-- she does not want anyone to overhear what she says next.

"We'll be glad to help if we're able. But I fear that your friend may not be returning with you. The Black Banner has not been seen above ground in many days. A group calling themselves the Band of the Hand, allegedly followers of theirs, ventured in search of them last night. But persons affiliated with them accosted us on three separate occasions only yesterday. They are dangerous, and I fear that if they were seeking the Band of the Black Banner, it was to rob or silence them."
Woe

Post by Woe »

"That would be a most unfortunate outcome. If true, I will need to return his talisman to our Hall of Ancestors so his sacrifice can be properly honored."
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

With the new member welcomed and breakfast winding down the boy from yesterday walks into the tavern and up to the table. Greetings partners! If you're ready you can come meet my family. Looking around at the company it's clear he considers the us to be the CoS and himself as if he's now a partner. His gaze lingers on Ravoneth for a few seconds as if there is some recognition there then continues back to Rykken. Ready when you are boss.

Their gear already gathered and close at hand the CoS departs the inn to find out where it is this boy lives and what he and his informants can do for them. An austere group such as this does turn a head or two although they are not bothered. Mae quickly sees several local thief types watching the group but none of them are willing to make eye contact or approach. They also don't appear to be following. Heading out of the merchants district and through the modest ward in an hour or so of walking they are suddenly in the poor quarter. It's as if a line were drawn between the modest and poor. Average homes and small one-owner businesses stop at one block and the next is populated by ramshackle houses with filth in the streets. Semi naked children, shoeless and dirty run and play in the dirt and grime that makes up their world. A few of the younger ones approach with hands out for gifts or whatever they can get but a snarled word from the Boy sends them scampering back. Just so you know partners if you give one of them something and the others see you'll either have to give them all something or stop the rest from fighting the one you gifted.

Past an old inn that was probably here when Waterdeep first became a village and down the side street that borders it the Boy leads them to a small often patched wooden structure. To call it a house is a stretch. It looks as though it was at one time a stable for 3-5 horses now converted to living space. Upon the tattered front porch is a thin man with greying hair and glasses perched on his nose. The Boy walks up to stand next to him. Father these are the heros I was telling you about. They've come to help. The man looks over the group for a few seconds before turning and waving them inside. No reason to stand out here and draw any more attention. His voice is clear and controlled and oddly out of sorts with his ragged appearance. Come in and sit. I'd offer you something to eat but that would take away from us and, forgive me for sounding rude, I don't know you yet or what it is you can do for us. For his part the Boy looks scandalized by his fathers words but says nothing.

The inside of the house is much the same as the outside although it is thankfully much cleaner. A fire burns low in a stone fireplace/cooking area and a pot of stew bubbles along on a hook over part of the coals. A rough hewn table stained by years of hands and utensils dominates the common room, a handful of differing chairs surround it. Looking around the companions can see three other rooms off of this one as well as a set of stairs running up into what must have been the hay loft. In the above loft is the sound of soft snoring from a couple of different children.

Around the table sits the Boys mother sewing another patch onto a quilt. The Boys father says. Have a seat if you wish and tell me what it is that you seek and why. Perhaps we can come to an agreement on information that we have in return for assistance that you can provide. Before the company can begin the conversation the Boy speaks up and tells his father all that he told the CoS last night. At the mention of an offhanded hope for employment both the husband and wife glance at each other, the husband warily, the wife hopeful.

The husband speaks up Well it seems my son has already told you almost all of it..... so I don't have much to barter with other than continued information and perhaps a location of a door that leads down below. The door does involve that Ghost Knight that you are rumored to have killed off a few months back though. I'll say no more until we reach an agreement other than it contains both great wealth and greater danger at the other end and that it goes very very deep in ground. This is of course all rumor and legend but then so was that ghost.

At the mention of the Ghost Knight the Boy perks up a bit and smiles.That's my favorite story from grandfather.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Woe

Post by Woe »

Not knowing what the boy or his father is talking about, Ravoneth stays quiet and listens. However, she will pull out some of her food and share with the poorer family. If they protest, she'll say "What I have, I have to share." She won't take no for an answer, and I'm sure the boy won't mind a quick snack of hardtack/lembras and a smear of cheese.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Hermia follows Ravoneth's lead, parceling out some rations.

"To be honest, we want the Band of the Hand out of our hair as much as I'm sure you do. Not counting our encounter with your boy, we've been attacked by them twice over the matter of a key that we have discovered. We intend to send them on a wild goose chase far away. Meanwhile we'll keep your family hidden. From what the kid told us, you've been pressed into their service, and I feel that my agreement with your son means that I should prevent them from taking you along for the ride. From there, we'll hire you and your wife to help manage our expedition."

"Hermia an' I are cartographers, so if you want, we could even train you and sponsor you for membership and your son for apprenticeship in the Cartographer's Guild. It's great, as long as you don't mind traveling!"
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Oypeen grimaces at the abject poverty all around him and melds into a corner unobtrusively. He wonders what good any of these people could do us, but if it helps get the The Hand out of Our Hair then he can tolerate the filth surrounding this abode.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

The mother takes the food with a smile and a thank you and sends her son upstairs to wake the two other children there. Coming down are a pair of twin girls in patched clothing. Probably 5 years old they are delighted to see guests and quickly sit at the table with wide eyes and begin to eat. Not malnourished but still hungry they enjoy every mouthful.

The father, Alfred by name, says. I'm not much for apprenticeship as a map maker. I used to be a counter man at a store here in town and am pretty good with numbers and calculations. My wife is a damn good seamstress when she has good needles to work with. But enough of that. I'd thought the location of an entry into the catacombs would sway you but you seem to have your own way in and out over at the inn, can't see paying a gold each way but if you have that kind of money I guess it doesn't matter. What would you say would be a fair trade for the "bee hive" of the Band of the Hand? Since you are cartographers I assume you have a map of the surface city of Waterdeep and if so I can point out where I went to get the loan. The headquarters of the band is most likely in that area. With that information you can decide to take them out at their source or try to lure them away at your leisure.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Rykken pipes up, "A counter man, eh? Things have been pretty busy at the shop lately and I could use another person to help Lysander while I'm away and there is always something that needs mending or repairing coming across the counter."

He pauses for a moment.

"Excuse me and my friends for a moment, please." He gathers the others around him to discuss the options quietly. "If he can show us another way into the catacombs we might be able to ambush this Band of the Hand. I wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting to jump us as soon as we step off the elevator. If we can surprise them from behind it might give us the edge we need. It would also be advantageous to know where their headquarters are. I think Alfred could prove to be a very valuable ally. What do the rest of you think?"
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

"Surprising the Hand is a good idea. I am not to concerned about them catching us at the elevator because our ring will take us instantly into anywhere in Undermountain. Knowing another passage in and out of UNdermountain is good information though."
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

"I agree, it seems like a fair trade."

"Sure, we can even use my map."