3.5) The pilgrimage of Ravoneth.

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

Jandolar

3.5) The pilgrimage of Ravoneth.

Post by Jandolar »

A slightly built half elf sits upon a grassy knoll in the High Forest soaking in some warmth from the rays of the noon sun. She's been here for a while silently taking in the sounds of the forest, the feel of the earth beneath her, the breeze that gently moves her hair. As a Great Way Adept and disciple of the Quenyar Refuge she's learned the patience needed to adapt to and learn from her surroundings. That patience wasn't easy to master as her human half burned with the desire to learn things now, to do them now and to master them now. That is the way of the short lived races. They seek to do as much as possible as quickly as possible and they often founder long before reaching any level of competency. Fortunately her elven side, with the patience of a thousand years or more of life available, tempered the flash-in-the-pan human side.

Rising from the sun warmed ground Ravoneth turns slightly as the breeze brings the sound of the great bell from the monastery. It isn't a true bell but an ancient oak trunk. Discovered by the first Grand master upon the very grounds where he built the refuge it was hollowed out and polished smooth and hung by the great gates. A simple hardwood hammer hangs next to it and a gentle strike upon the trunk sends a low sound for several miles through the trees. The sound of the oak is used to call the disciples in for meals or other mundane activities.

Coming out of the trees Ravoneth sees the refuge bathed in afternoon light. The simple building dedicated to peace and harmony of soul seems both out of place and right at home among the towering forest around it. The sounds of other students finishing up the mornings martial arts training can be heard across the open glen in front. Passing through the gate in the stone walls she walks by the oak bell and not for the first time wonders at its age. Fifteen feet tall and so big around that she could stand upright within it were it laying on the ground the slow growing oak must have been alive for thousands of years.

Hustling inside to the afternoon meal she spots a few friends and sits to enjoy the fruit, bread and meat that is either grown in the orchards outside or harvested from nature. Talk is minimal and centered around the training. Bruised knuckles are shown with slight pride of a strike well done while others with larger bruises mull over their failures and vow to do better. Ah such is the life of an Adept.

After the meal is done and the dinning area cleaned the students head outside for training to be followed by meditation before evening meal and then bed. As she enters the training area Ravoneth is approached by one of the ten year Adepts. A full elf male with a gentle smile and easy gate leans in and simply states. You are summoned. Knowing that she must report to Grand Master Syrithidanthanis in a timely manner Ravoneth thanks the messenger and hurries to the meeting place. In a garden open to all near the rear of the refuge Ravoneth comes upon her master and mentor. His practiced pace seems at odds with how quickly he moves as he reaches up to touch a blossom from a cherry tree in full bloom, his limp is almost impossible to detect. Holding the blossom for a few seconds he turns and smiles at the younger practitioner. Perfection can be found in even the imperfect, Ravoneth. This blossom I hold is not well formed although it is perfect. Perfect in that it will produce a fruit and that fruit a seed. From that seed will come another tree to create more of the same. Each one different and imperfect but striving for the perfection that only a cherry tree can produce in full bloom. The beauty of these trees and the aroma of their flowers brings joy to all around them. Releasing the blossom he turns to fully face the half elven female. In so doing his semi pointed ears briefly reveal themselves and his lineage as a bastard of elf and human, although the young Adept would never place such a moniker as bastard upon the 17th year Grand Master. You are a third year Adept and you progress rapidly through the training. Possibly because of the mixed blood that runs through you, humans are always in such a hurry, or perhaps due to your desire to excel in the arts. Hmm either way I have chosen you for a pilgrimage. You are to travel to Waterdeep and locate a missing brother. His name is James Hylar, a name gift from his human mother apparently hoping that the name would hide that he has an elven father, but no matter. He traveled there on a similar pilgrimage to learn more of the outside world and then return to us. He was given six months. We received word some days ago that he'd given in to his human side and delved into an elaborate cavern within the city in the hopes of gaining riches. He sighs at this point and shakes his head a bit. Nothing is more valuable than purity of spirit. Ravoneth do you willingly accept this pilgrimage? I'll not force you, the choice must be yours.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Woe

Re: 3.5) The pilgrimage of Ravoneth.

Post by Woe »

A quick flush of excitement filled Ravoneth's face, something she knew she could not hide from the Grand Master. Nominated for a pilgrimage, and as a third year? The excitement fled, both because of the amused look from the Grand Master as well as because she realized that she would need to seek out a lost brother. Hm... was he weak of mind or influenced by others? she thought. Confident that she would not succumb to the same folly, she bowed to the Grand Master.

"Yes, Grand Master, of course. Your praise of my abilities honors me." She tried to slow her answer, her eagerness. "I will remember the lessons of physical detachment and the pursuit of spiritual enlightenment." She pauses for a moment, reflecting on what the Grand Master has shared thus far. "When I find Brother James, how should I proceed if I am unable to convince him to return to the Path?"
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Eagerness is a sign of impatience disciple. Impatience makes for shallow roots with no strength. Look to the elms at the river bank, they are fast growing and shallow of root. When the flood comes they are swept away. Now look to the cyprus on the same bank. They grow slow and grow deep. When the floods come the roots they have taken decades to establish hold them firm. Patience Adept, patience.... He turns thoughtful for a moment, casts a fleeting glance at Ravoneth and continues If you find James alive you are to bring him here to explain his misdeeds and atone for them. If he refuses you are to challenge him to mortal combat and send his body back here for sacrament and burial.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Grand Master, I will reflect upon all you have taught me in the days ahead. I will leave as soon as I have your blessing." Ravoneth will wait for the Grand Master to dismiss her. Once dismissed, she will bow again then head to the weapons master to request a sword and bow from the armory for her journey. She'll then head to the kitchen for a week's worth of rations. That should last her until Yartar, where she'll need to resupply. If the Grand Master wishes her to meditate prior to leaving, she'll head to the meditation chambers first.

Waterdeep and High Forest look to be about three hundred miles apart. Ravoneth is going to have a good run!
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Three hundred miles?! Wow. We're going to have to streamline your trip.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Woe

Post by Woe »

Or she started earlier. :)

The FR map I was looking at is here. I was originally thinking she would run the whole way and not take a coach (one of those pesky rules that monks should follow). If she's worth her training, that's only 20 miles per day with a refueling stop halfway through.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

((there are people who average 35-45 miles per day on thruhikes of the appalachian and pacific coast trails. If on flat land 45-50 miles per day can be done by trained hikers.))
Woe

Post by Woe »

True, but the core rules have her at 30 miles/day. I forgot the extra 10'/rd bonus, otherwise she'd be at 24 miles/day, and would need to knock off some time due to forest terrain.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

((unless you want to force march :) just don't get attacked before you get your day of rest))
Woe

Post by Woe »

No thanks. The hurrying fly falls into the milk. :)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot