The Dragon's Apothecary (trading post)

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

Blazeguard

Re: The Dragon's Apothecary (trading post)

Post by Blazeguard »

Jandolar wrote:(DM folly here. I thought the hammer had been purchased by the shop and was simply there for sale. Is this incorrect? If so then this entire conversation never happened.)
I thought you were being nice to us and wasn't going to say anything. It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. :P
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Hywaywolf wrote:Quander just used some of our magic to run over 140' - through two doors, one of them secret so without a doorknob to make it easy open - and then was still able to attack this round.
Well, I did that to try and prevent Sturm being killed. It was one of my best items. I feel a but stupid for doing it now.

Not as stupid as of I'd picked up a certain coin, mind you... :lol:
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

((Somewhere in a dungeon a dwarf frowns))

Longman I am definitely not a Magic Item hog! I always try to make sure the right item goes to the person who could use it the most. I think the only items I have are the maul that I got during character creation and the ring, I even took the less powerful version so that other characters would have a better AC. I just know my stumpy legs in full plate is KILLING us speed-wise which is why I got excited about those boots. I know being able to get into the fight in less then 10 rounds is a big thing! :lol:
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Longman

Post by Longman »

Dude, this isn't really about the boots, because we all know we can't afford them. They were just an example of a cool item. And, your character is probably one of the more balanced.

What I'm saying is, the overall item distribution at the moment makes no sense. I just don't think an experienced adventuring party would have one character with no major items (Hermia) and another character (Rykken) with three magic rings. That's just one example.

If that trend continues with future items, my character would probably respond by getting very selfish in game play.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Why would quander think it stupid to have used a magic item to save a party member? And I see that you emphasized my use use "our" magic items as if it has some deeper meaning than every other sentence in my statement. We are Carnage of Steel. We have been adventuring together for some time and each one of us knows that our life depends on each other. Yes I use the word ours because I assume that everything each of has will be used to aid the party if its needed. When Lianna went up like a roman candle I used a heal pot from my own cache to restore her. Its what we do. So for you to say you feel stupid for using a potion to save someone who might be getting a magic item you'd might get if he died seems pretty weird.

you know what, when this battle with the zombies is over I am going to leave my mace lying on the ground in this room. I want you to take it and stop moaning about magic items.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Thanks, I'll be happy to pick up our mace after you drop it.

I also think that a reshuffle of items is in order, this isn't just about me. Hermia should have more and so should Lianna.

If you're calling it moaning, that's fine. If it works, it works.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Just a DMs perspective here but Longman it sounds like you're going to cry and whine every time you don't get your way in the game. This isn't some MMORPG where you "solo a boss" for some "woot" or some other inane crap. This is meant to be a RPG for a party of adventurers that value each other more than a damn item.

Each and every time a new magic item comes up you start bitching about dividing the items up. What the hell makes you think you are entitled to an item? Just because you want it? I don't see Hermia complaining, Lianna either, so stop stepping in on their behalf. If they have a complaint they can voice it. The only one bitching is you and to tell you what I'm plenty tired of it.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Longman

Post by Longman »

I didn't think I was 'entitled' to any particular item. That misreads what I have written.

I just think the set-up could have been redone when more players joined, or at least, balanced when new items were found.

I take your point about the other two players. They haven't said anything about it, so I guess this particular problem is mine.

Anyway, I hope you are not conflating this with the other issue, about me going a different way down a corridor, to the direction that had been stated by a few other players at that point.

If you are, then, I think I am probably going to keep irritating everyone, because I don't always take someone else's lead, or follow advice. If that's an issue, I am pretty likely to be a troublesome player for this group, and I should probably bow out here, and let your group get on with it.

If you're not, maybe we can keep going. Really that's up to you, as DM.

Incidentally, if this business with the items had been handled in role-playing, would it have been any different? Because, it's totally what my character would have said as well.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

I have no issue with your choice of direction in-game. As a DM my role is simply to lay out the scenario and then assist the environment in reacting to your actions. You can walk naked down the hall with your rat on your head and other than laughing my ass of all I can do is describe the grit under your feet and the effects of the cool breeze on exposed skin.

On the issue at hand. With your constant desire to redistribute the wealth (items) you are expressing the same attitude that is found in all entitlement minded individuals. Your attempt to get an item based solely on the fact that its a "cool item" is rediculous. What you purpose is that the character with the most to gain from a specific item be denied that item based on your skewed vision of unfairness. You are in essence saying that instead of having those best suited to provide a service (i.e. safety of the group) we should divide the wealth so that everyone gets a little something and thereby limit the groups ability as a whole.

Whats going to happen if the group finds an enchanted bow? Do you plan to cry about it until the person that gets the bow gives you a magic ring that they have so you'll feel you were treated fairly?

All this back and forth garbage has started to taint the game for me. I would suspect that others are having similar feelings and that is something I refuse to allow.

Whether you leave on your own with some modicum if dignity or I remove you personally doesn't matter. You are done here.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

dang, this thread had a harsh end. anyhoo, I was thinking that you could keep this first page updated with stuff for sale in the apothecary. I don't remember how many heal pots are available and how much they cost. or what else was available.