1) Undermountain, the beginning.

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

Hywaywolf

Re: Undermountain, the beginning.

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:47 pm

Oypeen stands up taller. "My good lady, I'll have you know that my memory is world renown."

He pauses for a second. "Umm, what is it you wanted me to do?" Thinking ... Thinking ... Thinking. "Ah, yes, the southern passage. I'm on it."

Oypeen moves to the arch, looks up at the ceiling in the passage to check for discoloration, holes to fire darts/arrows through or pour oil, checks the walls for holes and the like and pokes the ground before him with his spear. If all feels secure he will move ahead, using his spear to probe the sand before him and go to the corner where the passage turns west. He will listen for sounds, sniff the air, feel the wall for vibrations and then use his mirror to look down the passage.

((OOC: This will be his normal movement through passages and will do this at every passage and every turn until something interesting is encountered. He will stay no more than 30' from the rest of the party and will try to never have more than one turn between them and him.))
Jandolar

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:14 pm

No holes for darts or anything are visible. The floor quickly goes from sand to stone as you travel the 30' to the next turn. Your mirror shows a right turn 40' from the one you are at. Doing the same procedure as before gets the party down to the next turn which is revealed to be a 20' wide corridor of worked stone going perhaps 80' to the west. You can see a set of stairs down there and what appears to be a statue or two along with a slight golden glint from the floor.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Hywaywolf

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:08 pm

Before turning west into the big corridor, Oypen waits for the others to catch up. "Something interesting ahead. Big room, lots of stairs, gold glints on the floor, a statue to come alive and kill us all. I think we should move up from here in a group and see what there is to see."
Jandolar

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:57 pm

Hmm. Not sure if the others are waiting for me to post up what you see. I'll assume you've all grouped up to proceed....

As you form up and begin walking the hallway the first thing you see is a rather large black rat sitting about 30' down and rubbing his whiskers in that cute little way most plague carrying rodents do. At your approach he stands upright, sniffs a bit and turns tail to scamper away and disappear into the large room at the end of the corridor. What you can see from your vantage point is one large statue offset from the center of the room surrounded by several plain pillars. The room ahead must be a few feet below the floor you stand upon since you can see where the floor drops off and are unable to see anything below mid thigh on the statue. From what you can see the statue appears deeply weather worn, no features remain on the face not even ears. The shoulders and arms are without the artists touch of musculature, the hands are mere lumps. Whether it be male or female or even human you cannot tell. There is a tell tale glint of bright gold coming from below the statue but from this distance you can't tell what the glint is coming from. As you get closer the golden glint stops suddenly like a candle snuffed out by a brisk breeze although no air moves in the corridor around you.

(To Oypeen: You catch sight of a hidden door to your right as you move forwards. Not much of a sight just a subtle inconsistency in the masonry seen from the far edge of your peripheral vision.)

(To Sturm: The grade here is flat, very flat, more perfect than an underground tunnel of this age has any right to be. There isn't even any noticeable wear from what must have been thousands of boots over the centuries.)

(To Ryyken: Nothing out of the ordinary so far other than the silent oppressiveness of hundreds of tons of stone above your head and the shadows of the flickering torch making the walls surge with imagined dangers.)

(To Hermia: Your generations of family cartography is doing you well so far, the map of how far you've come is imbedded in your mind. If needs be you could lead your party blind back to the well and safety.)
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Blazeguard

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:36 pm

Rykken will use his staff to poke and prod the floor, walls, and anything else he can reach with it as he walks along. He is on the lookout for any possible traps or shifting rocks/blocks or floor tiles or anything else that seems suspicious when prodded.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
dymondy2k

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:49 pm

Sturm starts thinking there is more to this undermountain than meets the eye.

You see something up ahead there Oypeen?
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Jandolar

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:53 pm

(To Rykken: The sound of your staff upon the stone indicates solid bedrock, the bones of the world if you will. No hollow "thunk", nothing shifting, nothing so far to indicate a hidden alcove or pocket. Good thinking though!)

(To Sturm: There are no cracks in the walls, floor, or ceiling to indicate that multiple stones were used for shoring. It's as if you're walking through a tunnel bored through one massive stone.)
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Hywaywolf

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:18 pm

Oypeen signals to the others to halt, looks at Rykken and says, "If you are a believer in announcing our presence with authority to strike the fear of all that's holy into our enemies, then keep on tapping. But on the other hand, if you would like to sneak up on them and shoot em in the back, we could try being a little quieter. I'm good with either method."

He'll then point to the right and say, "Something off over here. Possibly a secret door. let me check it out before we move on."

He will then repeat his previous procedure for searching for secret doors and how to open them - feel for air moving through a crack, look for discolorations where grubby paws have triggered the opening, sniff for odors, then feel around the wall looking for creases, indentations, etc, look for obvious mechanisms like wall sconces that are slightly twisted or show signs of handling, etc.
Jandolar

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:31 pm

(To Oypeen: You can feel the paper thin edges around the door and can see the outline clearly and with a gentle pressure it moves inward a fraction. No sound before but now your acute Elven hearing detects conversation in a grunted and throaty cursed dialect and the sound of...... dice rolling?)

{map updated}
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Hywaywolf

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:38 pm

Oypeen holds a finger up to his lips in the special Carnage of Steel code for 'be very quiet' and steps away from the door to whisper to the others, "Possible guard room or barrack on the other side, I can here guttural conversation and dice rolling." (OOC: can I tell how many, at a minimum, there are by the sound of the conversation?)

"Anyone up for just kicking the door open and bust in like madmen? Or something more subtle? I'm good either way."