1) Undermountain, the beginning.

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

Jandolar

Re: Undermountain, the beginning.

Post by Jandolar »

The evening goes well. Potions are paid for, HW you get your two at the discount. The armor sells quickly. The chain goes for $500 for the +1 sets and $720 for the +2. The plate goes for $1500.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Sturm looks over the list and is impressed by both the quality and quantity of the items for sale..

He writes down his order on the paper and hands it back to the messenger..
<see trading post for order>

I wonder if anyone bought the map?
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

"Map?!" Oypeen's pointed ears perk up. "What map is this that you speak of?"
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Alrighty lets see if I can get myself back on track here. I'll assume you've made all the purchases you want (if not then please update the trading post) and updated your character sheets.

Let us continue.......

The following morning you awake to an on the house meal to break your fast and a smiling Durnan. Last thing before you go in. It'll cost you one gold piece each to enter Undermountain and one gold piece each to come back out through my well. This is tradition and can't be changed or bargained about.

After paying your gold each you are allowed to step upon the ring of stone surrounding the well. You are then handed a rope with a foot loop in the end of it. You place your foot in the loop, hold the rope with your hand(s) and are then lowered as a group down into the 140' deep hole. Within the first 10 feet the light from above begins to fade. After 50 feet it's just a dim shadowy place. By the time you reach the bottom there is only the black of the depths. Those of you with Dark Vision can see, those of you without will need a light source or wander around blind. The floor is loose sand but it doesn't slow you as you walk. Those of you with DV see several shields tacked to the earthen walls. None are usable due to extreme age and a few crumble if handled overly much. Behind one such shield you find a single gold piece left there for ascent by an adventurer who never returned to use it. The floor is littered with bones and burnt out torch ends.

The room is 40'x40' with a large arched exit going west out of the south western corner of the room.

(to Sturm, you detect no noticeable grade thus far. You do however detect some newer construction in the north-western corner)

(to Oypeen, you believe there is a hidden door in the north-western corner)

(to Rykken, you can't see a thing until you get some light going)

(to Hermia, nothing out of the ordinary other than the beginning of the mother of all mapping endeavors)
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

"Gracious, it's dark, isn't it? Who's for Rock Paper Scissors to figure out who lights the first torch? Sturm, I trust you'll be an impartial judge for those of us who can't see."
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Sturm mumbles under his breath about the torches ruining his dark vision before nodding to Hermia. He then laughs when he realizes she can't see him. Aye.. I'll be the judge..Let me guess neither of our intrepid mages have 'Light' prepared.
The Dragonclaw Barony
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

"My good man," states Oypeen. "I can see down here just fine. There is no need for me to waste my valuable memory space on something to see with."

As the torch light flutters into existence he mutters, "Well, I could see just fine until now."
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Well Durnan has all kinds of magical wares.. you think he might have a sphere of light or an ever-burning lantern lying around..

Sturm squints as the torch is lit..
The Dragonclaw Barony
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Oypen moves to investigate the secret door, checking the floor carefully as he moves about the space. "We may be able to get around down her without a cleric, and I am not so sure about that, but we sure need our thief or we may end up noisly breaking down a bunch of doors."
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

As the torch flares to life the entrance well is revealed to all. The exit to the south-west is 20' wide and easily half again that tall. Oddly it ends 10' in and makes a turn to the south then makes a right (west) turn again. This is as much as you can see without leaving the room and making the blind turn to the west.

A closer examination of the area where the hidden door is sensed reveals a door 5' tall by 3 feet wide with no apparent handle, hinge or manner to open it. It appears to open from the other side, if it actually opens.

(To Sturm- the door is indeed "new" construction but determining if it's a few years or a few decades old is impossible since there are no forces down here that will naturally wear stone and so produce marks to gauge age by.)
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18