1) Undermountain, the beginning.

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

Jandolar

1) Undermountain, the beginning.

Post by Jandolar »

Here we'll do all the game play. We'll start you all in the Inn of the Yawning Portal.

The large tavern is filled with patrons drinking and laughing. As you enter a few in the crowd look towards the door to see who's come in. There is a distinct subdued tension in the air. Tonight Durnan draws a chit from the bucket to decide who gets the next chance to enter Undermountain. Although you haven't dropped your chit into the bucket yet there seems to be an expectant air in the room about your doing just that. A band of well outfitted adventurers comes to the Yawning Portal for one of two reasons, either to brag about the last time they were in the dungeon or to try their hand at getting in and back out alive. Since you are new here most will rightly assume the latter. To the far right of the door is a large fire pit over which a scullery boy is turning half of a calf. A cooks assistant is basting the meat and every so often she slices off a thin piece and piles it on a platter set by the fire. The smell of roasting meat is winning the battle against the pipe smoke and unwashed bodies in the room setting your stomachs to rumble slightly. Among the scattered patrons you see a 5 or so groups huddled together talking and boasting amongst themselves. Elves, Humans, Dwarves and Halflings are scattered about equally amongst the crowd, some in ornate polished armor, others in battered and patched chain mail and leather they mostly appear confident although some of the less experienced stand out due to nervous fidgeting and excessive drinking. Barmaids and servers skitter here and there serving or cleaning up. In front of you is the dining area, 60 feet wide from your left wall to the fire place on the right. 60 feet in front of you lies a 40 foot diameter hole in the floor with a waist high foot thick stone rampart and small railing to keep drunken patrons and empty tankards from making the drop. Ropes hang down into the hole from a massive block and tackle partially hidden in the tree trunk sized rafters 30 feet over head. Another 30 feet beyond the hole sits the bar. 3 feet wide 20 feet long and about half a foot thick it appears to be made of one solid piece of honey colored quartz polished to a mirror finish supported by ornate columns of a deep iridescent black stone with the 5 foot gaps in between filled with sheets of beaten bronze. Behind that bar stands a large man in ornate bracers handing out tankards and small glasses of spirits with a laugh and smile. Behind him on a shelf backed by a polished silver mirror is a plain battered bucket.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Blazeguard

Re: Undermountain, the beginning.

Post by Blazeguard »

Rykken steps into the tavern and smiles as he sees the faces turn to see who it is. Tonight is the night. He may not have the strength of a dwarf but he can feel the power coursing through his veins. He always wanted to believe the legends - the seventh son of a seventh son - and all the superstitions that went along with it. But tonight he finally knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he had powers that extended beyond what could be learned from books and teachers. Maybe it was the full moon, or the fact that tonight was the anniversary of his death. Well, not his actual death, but tonight was the night so many years ago that the plague had almost snatched him from this world. That was when the rumors and whisperings had started. They said he had stopped breathing when all of a sudden a bright light had appeared above his bed and within a week he had completely recovered. Well, all except for the wheezing. He grimaced as he felt the familiar tightness in his chest. He hadn't been sick a day since that night and yet he always sounded like he had a cold. He'd come to accept it, embrace it even, as it proved that he was special. Tonight, he, along with his companions, would descend into the depths and return with riches unfathomable. He could just feel it with every bone in his body.

He pauses for a moment in the doorway and then strides purposefully towards the bar. Grabbing a slice of meat off the platter by the fire on his way by, he stops at the bar and casually flips his chit into the bucket. He turns and inspects the room, nodding at each group in turn, and then settles back to wait for the drawing.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Ryyken feels a large hand upon his shoulder and a gentle pressure to turn him back around towards the bartender. As he turns (the hand isn't aggressive but firm) he looks into the brown eyes of the barkeep.

"I'm Durnan" the bartender offers his hand "Can I offer you something warm to cure that cough? I've got an excellent ale laced with local honey that might cure it. Not much alcohol in it but it warms the lungs nicely." He reaches under the bar for a tankard and begins to pour. "Ah I always like seeing new faces heading into the unknown. Reminds me of my youth. Since you've dropped your chit the first round is on the house. I'll not advise you on how much you drink but Undermountain isn't for those of blurred vision. In a few hours we draw chits, be ready." He hands the tankard over with a wink and goes down the bar "Joihnas! You old bastard!!! Are you really going to try again? HA! You lose that other eye and you're no good to anyone!" *laughter..........*
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Rykken raises his mug in thanks and takes a small sip. He smiles ruefully, knowing that it won't help his 'cough' but he appreciates the gesture. The advice of Durnan, while solid, is wasted on Rykken. He's never been much for alcohol and has always been very careful of his liquor intake. He will nurse his drink and if it runs out before the draw he will graciously but resolutely decline any more.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Sturm rises from one the benches near the fire, feeling pleasantly full from his dinner and his large tankard of ale. He eyes the bucket firmly, as if weighing his decision before walking over and tossing in his chit. He nods knowingly at Rykken before heading back to his spot by the fire. A few of the other patrons, eye the huge maul on his back, wondering how he can walk with it, let alone swing it.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Oypeen Szechamie steps into the Inn of the Yawning Portal and pauses just inside. He looks over the interior and the conglomeration of serfs and working class men and women and wonders if there has ever been a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than this place. A shift in the air pattern suddenly hits his olfactory with a smell as rancid as the dung filled creek that runs between the tannery and the slaughterhouse. Gad, did these beast never bath? he wondered. Seeing his good friend, Rykken, leaning against the bar, he makes his way towards him, stopping only at the fire pit where the calf was being roasted.

"Serving boy," he said haughtily, "Bring me a plate with a slab of that beef with a good bit of au jus poured over it. And it better not have any gristle."

He'll drop a copper piece near the lad and move on to the bar. His new plate is looking splendid, but its still a little stiff in places. He'll need to get that adjusted before they went down to the Undermountain. Upon reaching the bar, he makes a show of setting his glittering mace into a more comfortable position, and then slaps his friend on the shoulder.

"So, did you drop our chip into the bucket?" He asks as he looks once more at the crowd of villains lurking about the place. He averts his eyes quickly when one notable looking elf looks toward him, but quickly recovers once the elf turns away. "We should not have any problem winning out over this lot. Its highly apparent that they must have no luck at all ... unless it be bad luck."

"ha ha," he laughs at his own joke. "So whats that your drinking. I think that I shall have the same when Master Durnam comes this way once more."

Now if the unthinkable happens and my good friend Rykken Steelchanter denied my self-effacing trade request and worse yet refused to open that dusty vault of a cash purse and loan his dearest of friends a measely 200 gold then I'll strike the parts about plate and a mace and I'll add in patched and tarnished chain mail with a few missing links in non vital areas.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

As Strum sits back at his table a serving boy comes by with a large tankard of ale. Here you are sir. Compliments of the house for dropping your chit. We hope it's to your liking.

Looking into the tankard it looks and smells like an honest to goodness deep black dwarven ale. The taste is not quite what you'd get back home but it's darn close. Looking towards the bar you see Durnan and a large one eyed man making gestures with their hands, seems like they are talking about the size of the weapon on your back. The one eyed guy points to Durnan questioningly and the big bar owner points to his bracers and nods with a smile as if to say "I'd only be able to swing that thing because of these!". He then heads down the bar towards the two magic users, wiping his beloved bar as he goes.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

The serving boy from the front of the inn scurries up to Oypeen with a tray laden with paper thin cuts of medium rare meat fronted by an assortment of exotic greens and fruit. For you master Elf. We hope it's to your liking. If anything is amiss please let the owner know.

As he runs off Durnan walks down the bar towards you. What can I get you to drink to help wash down that feast you're holding? Perhaps some Fey elixer? I've got a wonderful stash of wine from the far north. I don't drink it myself but I've been told it tastes of sunshine and elms. Your folk seem to enjoy it. he gestures towards a few other Elves in residence.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Oypeen looks at the plate in the boys hands with a shudder. He then takes the plate and flicks away a bit of grime left by the childs dirty hands. "I suppose it will serve its purpose of filling my belly and curbing my appetite. The test will be to see if it stays down."

He turns back toward the bar sensing the presence of the servant behind the bar approaching. Just as he is about to comment on the nasty spill on the bar where he is standing he hears someone call out "Durnan, its my turn tonight" and the approaching 'servant' answers with "We shall see." Realizing that the approaching brute is none other than the proprietor of the Inn of the Yawning Portal and a man known to have wealth, Oypeen changes his approach.

"Why Master Durnan, looks as if your fine establishment is doing excellent business tonight. The drawing of the chit was a masterful scheme. I commend you, my fine man. As to the chit," Oypeen pauses to retrieve his chit with a flourish and holds it out to him. "Would you be so kind as to place my entry into your chalice of mystery over there?"

Durnan looks a bit puzzled, then understanding dawns. "You mean, the slop bucket. Aye, I can do that for you." He snatched the chit from the elfs hand, leaving a smear of gunk comprised of bits of chopped fruit, spittle from a chewing weed wiped up off the bar top, and lord knows what else, on Oypeen's palm.

Oypeen shudders once more, but with great effort controls the impending outburst of disgust. "Thank you, kind sir," he says instead. "Yes, I will have some of that northern elixer, but there is no need to disturb the other fey creatures in your fine establishment."
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Rykken strolls down the bar towards Oypeen. "Nice set of plate you got there." he winks. "That should serve you well as we descend."
He looks around, "I see Sturm made it as well. Are we waiting for anyone else?"