Chapter 2:Taking the Offensive

Blazeguard's forum for his play-by-post game.

Moderator: Blazeguard

Blazeguard

Re: Chapter 2:Taking the Offensive

Post by Blazeguard »

Sanzaru times his swipe perfectly and opens a nasty gash along a significant portion of the snake.

Sanzaru's Attack (Battle Axe): [1d20+3] = 14+3 = 17
Sanzaru's Damage (Battle Axe): [1d8+2] = 5+2 = 7

The snake tries to extricate itself from Bosco's jaws but is unable to escape the dog's powerful maw.

Save vs Death Ray: [1d20] = 8

Bosco continues shaking the snake like a ragdoll until it goes limp and Bosco tosses it into a corner where lands in a broken heap.

Bosco's Damage: [1d4] = 3

With the snake dispatched, you stop and give the room a more thorough examination. Obviously, someone is currently living in this room. You see several large chairs, a rickety bed, a table with chunks of meat on it, piles of furs, a keg of ale, and three large trunks. In one corner of the room you see a broadsword, a spear, a longbow, 40 arrows, and a mace.
Pebbles steps up and after checking the trunks finds that none of them are trapped but one does have a large padlock on it.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
jcm

Post by jcm »

"Good job, Bosco!"

Mumford checks the contents of the trunk.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Mumford begins checking the trunks. He is unable to access the locked trunk but the other 2 trunks contain basic clothing and ordinary household items such as lamps, a few spices, a couple of blankets, some wooden utensils, a bottle of some unidentifiable liquor, a broken dagger with some silver insets, a plain electrum ring, and an ornamental rod of office, bronze and topped with a key-like device, roughly 24" long.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
jcm

Post by jcm »

Mumford inspects the rod more closely.
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

Sanzaru will use his hammer to drive an iron spike into the gap between the lid and the lock on the chest and then use the shaft of his hammer to lever it open.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Pebbles rushes in and says, "hold on sanzaru. let me attempt to pick the lock" If he holds I will check it for traps then attempt to pick it. If he continues, I will step back to stay away from splinters or released poison gas :)

Also, when we are done and they are all open Pebbles will search the truncks for secret compartments
SerGavin

Post by SerGavin »

Go ahead.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Just as Sanzaru raises his hammer to strike the first blow on the spike, Pebbles comes running into the room and stops him.

After checking the trunk for traps and finding none, he sets to the task of picking the lock. It only takes Pebbles a couple of minutes to thwart the lock but unfortunately as the last tumbler clicks into place you hear a *snap* and see a part of one of your picks go flying off into a corner of the room.

Upon opening the trunk you discover 240 gp, 380 sp, 7000 cp, and 8 gems.

Examining all three trunks for secret compartments reveals nothing.
jcm

Post by jcm »

Mumford, who hasn't paid much attention to treasure so far, gasps. "I hope we get to at least enjoy some of the spoils."
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Pebbles grumbles under his breath as he looks at the end of his broken pick. Then he looks into the box. "ahh, that should buy a new pick, I should dare say. But it looks like no breakables are here so I could have saved my pick and let you bash it open."