Chapter 2:Taking the Offensive

Blazeguard's forum for his play-by-post game.

Moderator: Blazeguard

Blazeguard

Chapter 2:Taking the Offensive

Post by Blazeguard »

After discussing the matter for a while you decide to take the goblin back to town for interrogation. As dawn breaks you quickly head back towards town. As you near Malforten, the party hangs back while one of you goes on ahead to fill Eryl in on what happened. Eryl quickly secures a room in the tavern to stash the goblin as the local gaol is too public.

You decide to show Eryl the parchment first. He examines it quickly and comments, “I’m not sure I can make anything of it but Ifon Picton is right knowledgeable in a lot of the history of this area and he might be able to shed some light on this. After that I'd like to take a crack at that goblin you brought back.” He sends one of his men to fetch Ifon and they return shortly.

Ifon takes a long look at the parchment and then leans back, “Hmmm…Ah, I recognize those names though they haven’t been used in many, many years.” He pauses, “Would you be so kind as to get me a drink?” He waits until an ale is set before him and then he continues. “Imperial Road is…or was...an ancient roadway that stretched North and South all along the Drunderry River and beyond. This was during the reign of the Horned One. It had been paved with enormous blocks of granite carved by giants and placed in the earth by some of the greatest engineers of the age…at least that’s what they say. But it was poorly maintained even during the height of the empire and has been eroding away for eons. What hasn’t eroded away has been buried by the shifting banks of the Drunderry. You may be able to find faint traces of it here and there but it has all but disappeared.”
“Baleon Nakt, that was a temple of the Horned One and was located just off the Imperial Road to the North. Rumor has it that it once housed a high priest, a Knight of the Dark, who commanded a cohort of lesser acolytes and troops in the area. This priest remained in the temple even as the Horned Ones power waned until he died mysteriously in his chambers one night.” He paused, “I would have thought that it would have been reduced to rubble by now but Gritznak must have discovered it and is now using it as his base.”
“As for the last fragment, I have no idea what it is referring to. It could pertain to almost anything – supplies, drink, slaves…who knows.”
“I would be very careful if you decide to follow up on this though. Who knows what manner of evil still lurks in the bowels of that god forsaken ruin.”

He leans back and takes another swig of ale, “Have you any questions?”
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Woe

Re: Chapter 2:Taking the Offensive

Post by Woe »

"Ifon, how far to Baleon Nakt from here? Could you mark it on a map?"
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Pebbles will unobtrusively look for Gwion and see what he has been up to and what he does when he finds out we are back in town.
jcm

Post by jcm »

Mumford hangs back, listening quietly.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Woe wrote:"Ifon, how far to Baleon Nakt from here? Could you mark it on a map?"
"Sure, I estimate it shouldn't be more than a couple days north of here. You should find it somewhere in this area." He unrolls a map, circles an area, and then hands it to you.

Baleon Nakt
Hywaywolf wrote:Pebbles will unobtrusively look for Gwion and see what he has been up to and what he does when he finds out we are back in town.
Pebbles tails Gwion and while he seems surprised to find out that the party is back so soon you don't notice any other unusual reactions during your surveillance.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Thanks Ifon for your assistance. The history you share is very disturbing." Sanzaru then turns to Eryl and Mumford (and others if present). "Companions, it appears we have learned what we can from this parchment. Shall we now turn to a discussion with our captured friend? Eryl, is there anyone you trust who speaks Goblin?"

OOC: does any of Ifon's history remind Sanzaru of his own order's histories? The Horned One and Knight of the Dark definitely has his mind searching for similar tales.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Pebbles will stop actually following Gwion, but will just wander around the village making himself small and eavesdrop on peoples conversations and generally scope things out trying to get a feel for the town and what its all about. And if anything seems to be up and/or out of the ordinary.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Woe wrote:"Thanks Ifon for your assistance. The history you share is very disturbing." Sanzaru then turns to Eryl and Mumford (and others if present). "Companions, it appears we have learned what we can from this parchment. Shall we now turn to a discussion with our captured friend? Eryl, is there anyone you trust who speaks Goblin?"
"Aye, myself and my lieutenant, Nefydd Goff, both know enough that we should be able to make that midden heap talk."
Woe wrote:OOC: does any of Ifon's history remind Sanzaru of his own order's histories? The Horned One and Knight of the Dark definitely has his mind searching for similar tales.
Sanzaru ponders this latest round of information. He does seem to recall something about a priest named Unguaith Kine and a mysterious death. It is common enough knowledge that anything connected to the Horned One is sure to be extremely malevolent and hideously evil but anything else escapes your memory at the moment. You wonder if Gritznak and the Horned One are connected or if the temple simply offers a convenient outpost for the gnoll.
Hywaywolf wrote:Pebbles will stop actually following Gwion, but will just wander around the village making himself small and eavesdrop on peoples conversations and generally scope things out trying to get a feel for the town and what its all about. And if anything seems to be up and/or out of the ordinary.
As you slip in and out of conversations, the rumors are flying fast and furious:
..."Red Cap it is; It's Red Cap the Goblin who is behind this"..."I heerd that Gritznak often travels north along the river to meet others of his kind"..."It's that tower, deep in them swamps, it's sendin' agents to raise an army of the dead"..."the rangers that used ta' meet here, haven't seen them lately. Wonder what's happened to them"...
Other than wild, unsubstantiated accusations and contradicting yarns though you simply get a feeling of overwhelming pessimism and depression and the sense that the townspeople have resigned themselves to this fate.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Eryl, let us speak with the goblin then. Allow me a half glass to find Pebbles. I'll meet you here."

Sanzaru leaves the tavern to look for the Halfling and invite him to the interrogation. Once found, he'll update Pebbles quietly on the information shared by Ifon as well.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Pebbles will return to the tavern. Along the way he'll say, "The people are pretty scared and its gotten them very depressed. I think we should announce our victory over the goblins to give them something to look forward to. Gritznak will know soon enough that the band he sent hasn't come back and will know we killed them. This town could use some good news. What do you think?"