Playtest 2 - The Hunt

A forum for the playtesting of JoeCarr28's Basic Fantasy Questing supplement, a simple D100 conversion for the Basic Fantasy RPG.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

Woe

Re: Playtest 2 - The Hunt

Post by Woe »

Elena knows enough about bears to know that bear who wants to get his apples (or elves) vs apple tree will have a bear winner. She's not as sure about bear vs craggy ridge. We also have rope, which should help us get up to the ridge.

"Great Filibert! I like the ridge idea. I think I'll try that. Catch me if I fall!"

She'll get out the rope and set to work on climbing to the ridge. If there's a rocky outcropping that she can toss the rope over, she'll do that. Maybe Filibert or Marcus will offer to belay as she climbs. If not, she'll tie a really nasty knot on a nearby boulder and attempt to scamper up.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
JoeCarr28

Clarifications

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Hang on a mo', let me clarify a couple of things:

1. The nature of ridge is that the first person up is going to have to climb pretty much unaided. It will require a successful Climb Walls skill roll to get to the top. Failure will mean falling and possible injury. A fumble will mean certain injury. In total the climb is around 10 meters high. Once the first person is up and has deployed a rope, subsequent climbers may double the target percentage for their Climb Walls skill.

2. I'm not clear as to whether the fire is lit at this point in time, or exactly where you have positioned it. If it is any distance inside the cave, I should describe what you can see within.
jcm

Post by jcm »

OOC: Is there a long way around with a gentler slope to get to the top of the ridge?
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

The fire is not started yet. We are still trying to set up our 'escape routes' before the **it hits the fan.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

jcm wrote:OOC: Is there a long way around with a gentler slope to get to the top of the ridge?
Ha! Good thinking, yes. It would be quite a long and arduous trek (an hour perhaps, or a little less), but it wouldn't be perilous like the sheer climb in front of you.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Smart! Let's take a hike.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
jcm

Post by jcm »

Let's go then!
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Filibert will make sure the stack of wood will be accessible from above and able to be lit before heading off with the others.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
JoeCarr28

Above the Cave

Post by JoeCarr28 »

You arrange the pile of firewood just outside the cave mouth so that it will to be visible from the ridge above. When you are satisfied that a dropped torch or similar ought to stand a reasonable chance of igniting it, you gather your belongings and head south-west along the foot of the ridge.

The height of the ridge gradually diminishes as you continue, and after about half-an-hour of walking it’s sufficiently low that you are able to scramble up to the crest and head-back north-east to take up your vantage point above the cave entrance. All is as you left it, with the would-be bonfire undisturbed some 10 meters below you (and not a bear in sight).

Mid-afternoon, Waterday, Movement, Earth-Season
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Filibert checks to see which way the wind is blowing.