Playtest 1 - Initiation Ceremony

A forum for the playtesting of JoeCarr28's Basic Fantasy Questing supplement, a simple D100 conversion for the Basic Fantasy RPG.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Round 16

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Woe wrote:Elena remembers stories of a gladiator, who said the crowd likes a good show. She knows she's not very good at performing though, and a bit unsure how to put on a good show. She finally decides that toying with Filibert like a cat it's prey should work.

Filibert, a trollkin has more common sense

She'll move further away, to max short range, and fire again.
Target percentage = 31%. Elena rolls ... 06 - hit! For 6 damage.

Finally Filibert falls, and Elena is left standing alone in the ring.

Elena: HP 16/16; MP 11/17; XP: casting, missile weapons.
Filibert: HP -2/28; MP 0/1; XP: missile weapons. *** Defeated ***
Marcus: HP -2/12; MP 11/12; XP: casting. *** Defeated ***
Targus: HP 0/17; MP 14/21. XP: casting, force, melee weapons. *** Defeated ***
Woe

Re: Playtest 1 - Initiation Ceremony

Post by Woe »

I killed Filibert!

With a shriek, Elena drops her bow and runs to Filibert -- to give aid or apologize, it's not quite clear.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
JoeCarr28

Champion

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Jarsten and Navarok, Apple Lane's weaponmasters, shoo the fretful Elena out of the way and haul Filibert off to join Marcus and Targus under the care of Kareena at the Temple to all Deities.

As soon as the final casualty is removed from the ring, Sheriff Dronlan approaches Elena and raises her arm in the air to declare her champion. For a moment, the crowd are silent. As a village outsider, and an often a moody one at that, it would probably be fair to say that Elena wasn't the popular choice amongst the combatants (that accolade would go to local boy Marcus or the plucky Filibert). And some of her tactics, particularly the invisibility, were considered underhand by certain villagers. But, at the end of the day, a winner's a winner, and, starting with a lone clap, the recognition from the crowd steadily grows to a hearty round of applause and a few cheers (particularly from the women of the village - female winners of the ceremony have historically been few and far between).

Within the hour, Elena is reunited with her three friends (and most of the rest of Apple Lane's residents) at the Tin Inn where many a beer will be quaffed that evening.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Targus approaches Elena at the inn with two large tankards of Dwarven Ale.

"Well lass as a fellow outsider amongst these humans I salute you.... you did well. I'd offer a hug or something but that smacks of human piddle poo softness so here's a beer. I drink to your health and prowess."

*clink*
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Woe

Post by Woe »

Elena is obviously uncomfortable with the attention. First in the arena and now at the celebration in the pub, she's not sure how to respond to the congratulations and praise. She understands enough of social customs to know that turning invisible and running away would be considered bad form, but she doesn't know what to do instead. About the best she can do is hide in the corner (to limit the interaction with others) and mumble thanks as it comes up. She's tried a few smiles but she's really hoping for the party to end.

Thanks Targus. I, uh, drink to your health and prowess too. And then the less socially aware side of Elena kicks in. What did it feel like to be shot by a magic missile? Did it burn? Or hurt? I've never seen missiles turn around like that before. How did you do that?

And at some point during the night, she also tries to apologize to Filibert for shooting him in the arse. Even though he deserved it.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

With his pride having taken a serious beating and his backside still smarting, Filibert curtly accepts Elena's apology and then promptly proceeds to drown his sorrows whilst leaning against the bar.

This was just the last straw in a long line of intimidation, provocations, and bullying...and at the hands of a girl yet. He can still hear the chants of the children while growing up..."Fili, Fili, Fili, what a silly nilly". He still doesn't know what that means, but the feelings of shame and humiliation that he felt come welling back up.

Suddenly the bar starts tilting and he hits the floor with a thud. Just before everything goes black, he thinks to himself, "I didn't even finish my first ale."
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
jcm

Post by jcm »

Marcus smiles sheepishly in a corner, holding a tankard of beer. Careful observers will note that he doesn't actually drink the beer. It seems he just has it in his hand to give him something to do besides be awkward. He nods and smiles whenever anyone pays him any attention. Mostly he's just embarrassed about being the first contestant to lose.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Finally, an escape route! "Somebody should take him home." she declares and stands up, using the opportunity to take the half-pint back to his lodging. She's unsure how halflings sleep, as she remembers them sleeping in holes in the ground. Maybe they burrow into bedding. she thinks, and throws some bedding on him. Satisfied that he won't freeze and gratified that she has escaped the pub, she casts invisibility on herself (just in case!) and escapes to her own lodging.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

OOC: I can just imagine the rumors that will start. :o
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
JoeCarr28

Experience

Post by JoeCarr28 »

That concludes Playtest 1. We just need to see how much each of the characters learned from the experience. The rules for improving skills, as taken from the BFQ supplement, are as follows:
Basic Fantasy Questing wrote:At the end of an adventure, or at any other time at a GM’s discretion, characters have the opportunity to increase the base level of any skills for which they have an experience check. The procedure is as follows:

1. For each skill for which a character has an experience check, the player rolls 1d100.

2. If the roll is higher than the current base skill, then the character gains 1d3+1 percentage points in that skill. This is also the case for any roll of 96-00.

3. If the roll is equal to or lower than the current base skill, the character gains 1 percentage point in that skill.

4. The experience check is cleared ready for the next adventure.

Human characters may deduct 10 percentage points from the target percentage when performing skill improvement rolls.

It should be noted that a character may only receive one experience check per skill per adventure, no matter how many times it is successfully used.
Elena
- Casting: currently = 65%; experience roll = 54, i.e. just 1 point gained. Casting now 66%.
- Missile Weapons: currently = 41%; experience roll = 76, i.e. d3+1 points gained = 4. Missile Weapons now 45%.

Filbert
- Missile Weapons: currently = 42%; experience roll = 45, i.e. d3+1 points gained = 2. Missile Weapons now 44%.

Marcus
- Casting: currently = 62% (-10% Human bonus); experience roll = 98, i.e. d3+1 points gained = 4. Casting now 66%.

Targus
- Casting: currently = 68%; experience roll = 93, i.e. d3+1 points gained = 3. Casting now 71%.
- Force: currently = 24%; experience roll = 08, i.e. just 1 point gained. Force now 25%.
- Melee Weapons: currently = 46%, experience roll = 55, i.e. d3+1 points gained = 2. Melee Weapons now 48%.

Clear enough?

Please feel free to go ahead and update your character sheets accordingly.