Playtest 1 - Initiation Ceremony

A forum for the playtesting of JoeCarr28's Basic Fantasy Questing supplement, a simple D100 conversion for the Basic Fantasy RPG.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Playtest 1 - Initiation Ceremony

Post by JoeCarr28 »

The first playtest will be a very slightly modified version of "Tribal Initiation", a mini-scenario that appeared in the classic RuneQuest module, “Apple Lane”.

Written by Greg Stafford and released by Chaosium in 1978, Apple Lane was, for me at least, RuneQuest's "Keep on the Borderlands". It was boxed with Games Workshop's UK distribution of the 2nd edition rules and provided novice players with both a base of operations and opportunities for adventure.

Here's the description of the village of Apple Lane from which the module takes it's name:

"The village of Apple Lane is a typically nondescript gathering of buildings common to borderland territories. Several days ride from the nearest large city, it sits astride a well-used road. Travellers, from whom the settlement gets the larger share of its trade, are happy to stop at this rustic outpost; farmers from the surrounding hills enjoy its nearly-citified comforts. Authority in the region is entrusted to Apple Lane's Sheriff, although there are no other security forces. Apple orchards, from which the town draws its name, surround the buildings on every side."

To give you a better sense of the place, here are a couple of maps. The first is taken from the module itself, the second is a later three-dimensional interpretation.
Picture - Apple Lane - Original.png
Picture - Apple Lane - Original.png (244.82 KiB) Viewed 13274 times
Picture - Apple Lane - 3D.jpg
Picture - Apple Lane - 3D.jpg (38.35 KiB) Viewed 13268 times
JoeCarr28

Introduction

Post by JoeCarr28 »

So, let's start the scenario ...

It's springtime in Apple Lane. For the would-be adults of the village and the surrounding countryside that means one thing - the Initiation Ceremony. The chance to prove to themselves and to their elders that their childhood education is complete. That they have learned the lessons of sword and bow, of shield and stealth, and of arts arcane.

On a crisp and clear early afternoon, with the cool spring sun shining brightly overhead, the whole village gathers on the public grazing ground. A large bonfire has been lit and the Sheriff, Dronlan Swordsharp, has marked a large circle on the grass. Jarsten Goodaxe and Navarok One-hand, the village's weaponmasters, bless the circle and invoke Humakt, the war god, to watch over the proceedings. Kareena the healer sits on the side, wearing a twinkling necklace of stones, while Idiot Girl sings a beautiful song to accompany the healing her mistress will do for all the wounded.

As you take your places on the edge of the circle, you know that for the next few minutes you must put your childhood friendships aside. Only one may leave the circle victorious. The others will be carried to the care of Kareena.

The villagers close in around the edge of the circle amidst an air of merriment. They toast the initiates with Bulster Brewer's fine ale, make ribald jokes at the expense of those standing nervously within the circle, and wager dungheaps and dishwater to deride the adults-to-be. Encircling the arena, they are also well placed to discourage early exits from the ring.

Dronlan raises his arm and calls for silence. When the hubbub subsides he proclaims "let the ceremony begin", bringing his arm down in a sweeping motion to a great cheer from the assembled crowd ...
JoeCarr28

Round 1

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Initiative for Round 1
Filibert: 6
Elena: 4
Targus: 3
Marcus: 0

Filibert - you have initiative, will you take your action or hold?

Tactical map ...
Initiation Ceremony - Round 1.png
Initiation Ceremony - Round 1.png (2.07 MiB) Viewed 13250 times
(One thing I didn't factor in is that the very narrow aspect ratio of the Basic Fantasy forums is far from ideal for viewing such maps. I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it. If you would like me to invite you to the Roll20 session in which the maps are stored and updated, then please PM me an e. mail address and I'll send out an invite. It will be much easier to view them from there.).
Blazeguard

Re: Playtest 1 - Initiation Ceremony

Post by Blazeguard »

Filibert takes a moment to size up his opponents. While he'd grown up here and knew them all, this was a whole lot different than wrestling in the orchards or pretending to conquer monsters from the deep. This was it. This was real! In the end, someone would walk out of the circle...and the others wouldn't. 'Well, just because I'm not the strongest or the best looking is no reason why I can't still win' he thought to himself. Nobody else was moving either so he waited...legs slightly bent, weight on the balls of his feet, ready to explode into action.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
JoeCarr28

Round 1 - Elena

Post by JoeCarr28 »

OK, thanks Blaze, Filibert holds.

Elena's up next. Woe's travelling at the moment, but I was left some instructions ...

Elena composes herself, clears her mind and draws upon her long hours of training and practice. She had successfully performed her Invisibility spell on many occasions in the past, but never in such trying circumstances.

Target percentage = casting skill (65%) + INT bonus (10%) - spell difficulty (20% for a 2nd level spell) = 55%.

Woe rolls: 82% - fails :( .

Elena curses silently to herself and glances nervously to either side, anxiously awaiting a response from her competitors.

Targus is up next ... act or hold?
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Ol Targus is going to bring a Spiritual Hammer into play and control it to hold near him. (if you feel this is outside the normal range of activities for a SH then Targus will instead advance his 30' towards the center of the "arena" and await his first combatant).
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
JoeCarr28

Round 1 - Targus

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Targus's target percentage for casting Spiritual Hammer = casting skill (68%) + WIS bonus (10%) - spell difficulty (20%) = 58%.

Jandolar rolls: 88% - another failure. Seems the spell-casters are still getting warmed up.

Targus looks disappointed as his magical hammer fails to materialise.

Marcus next ...

Elena: HP 16/16; MP 16/17.
Filibert: HP 28/28; MP 1/1.
Marcus: HP 12/12; MP 12/12.
Targus: HP 17/17; MP 20/21.
jcm

Post by jcm »

Marcus casts Shield and waves his warhammer menacingly.

"I hope I don't have to bash anyone's head in" he thinks. "I wonder what the trials for bakers and such are like?"
JoeCarr28

Round 1 - Marcus

Post by JoeCarr28 »

OK, let's see if Marcus has more luck with his spell casting ...

Marcus's target percentage for casting Shield = casting skill (62%) + INT bonus (10%) - spell difficulty (10%) = 62%.

jcm rolls: 47% - success!

Marcus now has Shield activated. He has 3 hit dice, so the spell will last for 8 rounds (i.e. until the end of his turn in Round 9 - assuming he's still fighting :) ). Marcus also gets an experience check against his casting skill.

Filibert - will you take your held action for this round, or should we roll for initiative in Round 2?

Elena: HP 16/16; MP 16/17.
Filibert: HP 28/28; MP 1/1.
Marcus: HP 12/12; MP 11/12; XP: casting. *** Shield activated until Round 9 ***
Targus: HP 17/17; MP 20/21.
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Filibert will continue to hold and wait for round 2.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.