Basic Fantasy Questing Supplement: Feedback and Questions

A forum for the playtesting of JoeCarr28's Basic Fantasy Questing supplement, a simple D100 conversion for the Basic Fantasy RPG.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

Woe

Re: Basic Fantasy Questing Supplement: Feedback and Questions

Post by Woe »

Character creation thoughts:
- why didn't anyone choose a class? -> /sigh. I lrn2read and figured that one out on my own.
- why would anyone choose a human? -> dwarves, elves, and halflings all have benefits. Unless I missed the human benefit, they're racially inferior.
- listen -> it'd be nice if something would make better/worse listeners, like int or wisdom. maybe a +/- bonus of skill/4 to get some variance?
- can elves see in the dark? -> not clear if/which of the base rules still apply
- magic points -> this one threw me for a while, but eventually figured it out. it would have been much more clear had I seen the classless character creation of Targus
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Jandolar

Re: Starting Spells

Post by Jandolar »

JoeCarr28 wrote:
Jandolar wrote:Spells
Cure Light Wounds (twice)
Hold Person
Fireball
Sleep
Web
There still seems to be some confusion over starting spells. Let me see if I can explain it a bit better ...

When using the BFQ "classless characters" optional rules, magic becomes much more common than in standard Basic Fantasy. All characters start knowing some spells. They start with 3 levels worth of spells, plus one extra levels worth for whichever is the higher of their INT and WIS bonus. So, since Targus has a +2 WIS bonus, he will start with 5 levels worth of spells (where a 1st level spell is 1 levels worth, a 2nd level spell is 2 levels worth, etc.).

At the moment his character sheet shows: Cure Light Wounds (1st level, 1 levels worth); Hold Person (2nd level, 2 levels worth); Fireball (3rd level, 3 levels worth); Sleep (1st level, 1 levels worth); and Web (2nd level, 2 levels worth). So he has 1 + 2 + 3 + 1 + 2 = 9 levels worth, which is too many. You need to lose a few so he only has 5 levels worth.

I think the Magic Points are causing the confusion. These have nothing to do with the number of spells a given character knows. These are simply the magical reserves that the character has available for casting the spells. So with 10 magic points, Targus could cast Cure Light Wounds (a 1st level spell costing 1 MP) ten times. Or Web (a 2nd level spell costing 2 MP) five times. Or any combination thereof until all his magic points were depleted.

Make sense?
Ah /face palm. That does make sense. I'll go back and change my sheet again. (I revamped Targus and shifted some %'s around since he didn't fit the mold for a "healer". Spells have been chosen as Web and Fireball. Now I believe I have the kind of Dwarf I want to play.)
Last edited by Jandolar on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Woe wrote: - magic points -> this one threw me for a while, but eventually figured it out. it would have been much more clear had I seen the classless character creation of Targus

Targus has been a labor of love/hate. I think I've gone back through and redone him at least 5 times between HP/MP and spells and %'s. *laugh* If he dies in the first encounter I'm going to pee on the character sheet I have sitting in front of me. :D
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Woe

Post by Woe »

In some ways, I fault myself. I dove right into character creation without reading all of the forums. That meant I didn't have the luxury of everyone else's mistakes, but did let me test the documentation better. Or as they say here in Russia, the documentation tested me. :twisted: I kept staring at Targus wondering how he ended up with so many MP, as I was stuck on 1d3. I missed a table. I was also wondering why he had so many spells, but finally gave up understanding and just posted what I thought I was doing. Then I discovered the feedback forum and a lot more made sense (and one more edit for Elena).

As for GMs rolling dice, I really wish I had seen that before I rolled the HP. I ended up with 4HD and my rarely lucky phone app (dice bag) rolled an 18 on the 3d6, giving me a whopping 24hp (!!!). Then I saw we're letting the GM roll, which makes total sense but leaves me wishing I could save that for my next pnp game.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
JoeCarr28

Starting Hit Points

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Blazeguard wrote:
JoeCarr28 wrote:At least EvilDM is working well :) . Looking at the logs, it says you rolled 4d6+6 for Filibert's hit points. This should be 5d6+5. The 5d6 comes from his highest skill of 68% (table on page 10 of supplement). The +5 comes from the +1 CON bonus for each hit die.
I forgot about the CON bonus but I did 4d6+6 cause you said we could take the maximum 6 for our first hit die. Should I roll again?
Doh! Yes, of course, you're right :oops:. My mistake. So the roll should be:

6 (1st hit die) + 4d6 (hit dice 2-5) + 5 (CON bonus).

As we seem to be leaning towards the GM doing all the rolling, I'll post definitive starting hit points and magic points for all players.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Thanks for all the feedback.
Woe wrote:- why would anyone choose a human? -> dwarves, elves, and halflings all have benefits. Unless I missed the human benefit, they're racially inferior.
You could argue the same for standard Basic Fantasy. In standard Basic Fantasy, humans just get a 10% bonus to all earned experienced. In BFQ, they get a 10% bonus to skill improvement rolls (page 6), but I'll make that clearer.
Woe wrote:- listen -> it'd be nice if something would make better/worse listeners, like int or wisdom. maybe a +/- bonus of skill/4 to get some variance?
Again, the 17% just reflects the standard 1 on 1d6 chance of listening in standard Basic Fantasy. But there's nothing to stop characters assigning some of their starting 50% points to listen. And, unlike standard Basic Fantasy, the skill will increase with use.
Woe wrote:- can elves see in the dark? -> not clear if/which of the base rules still apply
Yes, Elves have Darkvision. BFQ really only modifies the character progression aspects of Basic Fantasy. In other words, those things that change as a character rises in level - hit points, combat ability, saving throws, spell casting ability, Thief skills and Clerical turning. Anything that is unrelated to character progression and doesn't change with level, such as a racial ability, remains unchanged.
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Woe wrote: I kept staring at Targus wondering how he ended up with so many MP, as I was stuck on 1d3. I missed a table. I was also wondering why he had so many spells
I'm really sorry about causing so much confusion.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Woe

Post by Woe »

Jandolar wrote: I'm really sorry about causing so much confusion.
Please, don't be! If not for Targus, I'd have 1d3 magic points, 6 hp, and probably would have had a class. :shock:
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

Quick question about the character sheet.

What are the checkboxes beside all the skills used for?
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Blazeguard wrote:Quick question about the character sheet.

What are the checkboxes beside all the skills used for?
When a character uses a skill successfully in a demanding situation, then they get an experience check against that skill. At the end of an adventure, all skills with an experience check will increase to a greater or lesser extent. See the section "Improving Skills" on page 6 of the supplement for more details.